“I am Not a Fan!”

Price range: US$31 - US$40
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Lourdas is right next to the Bryn Mawr train station. It's a tiny hole in the wall. It's simple, a square room with some cheap art of Greece hung on the walls. Nothing applying in it's decor.

The wait staff is very slow. They also can be a little rude at times. My favorite Lourdas story is once coming off the train I popped in to get an evening reservation. The man who let me in. (The were closed, but staff was inside) was so rude. He was amazed that anyone would come in when they were closed to ask for a reservation. He told me they do NOT take reservations from walk ins and I had to call. So I stepped outside and called from my cell phone 20 feet away and the same guy took my reservation over the phone! Other times when I have called they can be rude over the phone about taking a reservation.

The place is always busy. The food is slow to arrive and trying to flag down a waiter for a refill or to even order can be a task. They seem to like walk by and not look in your direction if your hand is raised or you try to catch their eye.

The food is okay and can be hit or miss. The last time I had lamb and it was very greasy as were my potatoes. I am convinced that if this was in Center City the place would be empty (too many other, better choices). But this is Bryn Mawr and their are not a lot of choices out here for good dining!

Be warned - they do NOT take credit cards (cash only) and it's BYOB (bring your own wine). Also it's very pricey for what you get.

2  Thank James S

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I have had the opportunity to eat both lunch and dinner at Lourdas many times. their food and service are always consistently good. It is a BYOB -- their wine glasses are perfect for any type of wine. The food is traditionally Greek. It is cash only so be sure you take some money-- it will not break the bank though!!

Reviewed 4 January 2012

I came for takeout this time, having forgotten why I haven't eaten here more than once, long ago. I observed my waitress spending an inordinately long time with what appeared to me to be a potentially high-tipping table. Consequently, she didn't pay attention to me and I waited a LONG time for my food. She was also very gracious to the table but snobby to me. The food was way overpriced and horrible. I know Greek food and this was a stingy, lowly version of it. People who eat here must know nothing about good Greek food. I'll never go back!

1  Thank Gourmasseur
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Recently after a matinee at Bryn Mawr Film Institute, we had a delicious dinner at Lourdas. The service was friendly and helpful, but not overbearing. We loved the scallops appetizer and two Greek classics - pastitio and moussaka. The atmosphere was bright and comfortable, lending itself to a casual date night or family get-together. BYO Cash Only. Our bill with two appetizers and two entrees came to $58.

Reviewed 15 May 2011

The food is average and absolutely not interesting: it's not bad (yes, it's edible), but it's not exceptional either.
Service was not courteous and when we asked to pay our bill, we were rudely told that they did not accept credit cards, only cash. The manager replied to our surprise that we should have noticed that there were no credit card stickers on the door of the restaurant and therefore should have been prepared to pay cash. He was rude and curt.
I have eaten in much better Greek restaurants in the Philadelphia area, where service was much more polite, and will certainly not go back here.

1  Thank kaspark