“Used to be great, not anymore”

Rey Azteca Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 122 Restaurants in Butler
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I first fell in love with Rey's back when we would go to the Penn Hills and later the Monroeville location. We were excited that there was a Rey's in Butler when we moved here a few years ago.

Initially, the food at Rey's was good...not as good as the Monroeville location...but good nonetheless. The last 2 times we went however, the food was bland and boring. We get that they have to cater to a wide range of people, but Mexican food without Mexican spices and no hot sauce is NOT authentic Mexican food. Nothing was seasoned properly. Quite frankly, the food tasted as if it wasn't seasoned at all. Simply put, we will not be returning.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This is by far the best Mexican restaurant in the area! It is quick service and excellent food! Staff are very nice and helpful with the menu. I can’t pick a favorite dish!

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

First time visit to this restaurant. I was intrigued by the name and in the plaza to do some grocery shopping so I wanted to give them a tryout. Nice clean establishment and OK staff. They give you a bowl of tortilla chips and salsa. The chips were crisp but the salsa was just bland tomato sauce. Tried to liven up the salsa by adding so of the table hot sauce. The hot sauce was as bland as the salsa. There is a charge for a second bowl of chips and any other of the many side items. I ordered the sherred beef Burrito Loco hoping it would be good. Within 10 minutes I was being served and it was at this point I had a bad feeling like the kind you get when you order a fish sandwich at McDonald's and the minute or two after having just ordered it they are handing you your sandwich, you know that it was not just prepared but may have been in the bin for a couple hours. The beef in the burrito was all mushy and although it was served on a hot plate the food was cold and again bland. The flour tortilla that it was wrapped in was slimy mushy and AL the other items in the burrito where kind of hit and miss all at the end of the burrito. The next time I'm feeling like a Authentic Mexican meal I'll go to Chili's just up the street.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Their move to their strip mall made for a much improved venue with a great decor and overall atmosphere. The menu offers mostly expected choices you get from this type of restaurant. Complimentary first serving of chips and salsa. I didn’t see any alcoholic drinks offered. Prices are slightly inflated in comparison to nearby related places. I did not feel like the quality matched the price with that in mind. Service was quick, accommodating, and professional. Decent meal.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

They have great authentic Mexican food. The enchiladas were terrific. The service was very friendly and speedy and the food was delicious and hot. The hot sauce was not quite hot enough for me that day, but when I asked they brought another one that was pretty good.