“Charming”

The Riverside Inn
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

The Riverside Inn has so much character. You can unplug and enjoy your stay. There are no phones or TVs in the room. There are board games to share in the lobby, as well as, a TV. The theater productions are wonderful and the grounds are quite beautiful. We have enjoyed many family gatherings.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KarenDM75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oil City, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I took my parents to Riverside's NYE Murder Mystery Dinner Theater. What a wonderful time! The food was delicious, the show was enjoyable, and our table mates made the experience perfect! We laughed and laughed, and my parents talked about it for days afterward. We didn't stay overnight, so I can't review the accommodations, but the show and dinner were outstanding!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank stevencorri
Hamburg, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

It's not fair to compare this very old hotel with the cookie cutter chains. No phones, no TVs and no elevator however....the hotel has history and charm the chains can't touch. Antiques and atmosphere abound and as another review said, you can't tell if it's 2013 or 1920 when you're sitting in the lobby. The dining room is large and beautiful. The rooms are all different and decorated in older furniture. They seemed to be more comfortable this year as if management spent a little time and effort to level furniture and spruce up bathrooms. Yes, there is lots more to do to bring this place up to 4 or 5 star standards, but I like it the way it is.....funky and offbeat. Our group attends a hilarious dinner theater at least once a year and have a wonderful time. The one improvement they could make for me is to improve their reservations process which is really sketchy. The personnel do not seem to have a clue about customer satisfaction.

Room Tip: Tell reservations personnel exactly what you require. The rooms are all different and they should b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jerry K
Duvall, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel, as an adult, and it is wonderful staying in the same part of Crawford County, that both my parents went to college in, and where my father was born. The hotel is full of memorabilia that is really cool, and full of history, including ghosts! It is too bad that none of the very nice employees knows what happened to the boardwalk, spring house, and even what is up in the steeple above the third floor. The buffets are wonderful, fresh, and appealing. The rooms are as they were, and really could use some bed upgrades, but the utilities were newer, and the house cleaners were awesome. They do a really nice job keeping this huge hotel clean. The people in the restaurant, and front desk are really a treat, other then not knowing the history of this grand hotel. The bar is as I remember, and could use carpet, and a new bar manager, she has a sour un-friendly attitude. Even on the Saturday, during college football season, the only thing that was TV was country music. That is really lame. The only way I could watch any football, was to watch it in the lobby. I really think if the manager would learn to be more engaging, smile some, and turn on sports when they are on, she could turn it around. As it was I just drank in the lobby, and in our room. Over all it was an incredible experience, and will return there, if it doesn't go away, as most cool places do, and always have fond memories of my family being there with me, and before me.

Room Tip: Get one on the third floor, front, or towards French Creek, the floors are creaky.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank tom s
Lafayette, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I spent the night at this lovely old hotel, site of my parents' honeymoon in 1934 and the destination for many family weekend getaways when I was a kid. Much is changed -- no boardwalk across the pasture, no springhouse at the end of the boardwalk, no dairy herd (the restaurant used to serve the products). But much was as I remember -- fabulous antiques throughout, beautiful grounds. This place makes me think of a beautiful lady, showing her age, but still elegant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carolyn R
Ridgway, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

While the venue is unique and the food is good, I was disappointed to go away with five significant bites from bed bugs. I managed to find and kill one to verify that is what happened. My stay was two nights so they moved my room the second night, but I never received even an acknowledgement of the problem from Management. T

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
14 Thank David P
Stevens, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

This is a lovely place!! The staff was all friendly and helpful. We stayed with our 2 kiddos, and everything went smoothly. The stairs are good exercise. We loved all the antiques, and the history behind the place. The overnight price we felt was a bit high, until we realized it included 2 bedrooms with a connecting bath, and a cooked-to-order breakfast! We decided the price was a bargain! :) The grounds were lovely too!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
The Seasons Inn at Nick's Place
Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Erie
SpringHill Suites Erie

Been to The Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!