“Not a good place to stay!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleep Inn Carlisle

Sleep Inn Carlisle
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Philadelphia
“Not a good place to stay!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2008

When arriving at the Sleep Inn in Carlisle the woman at the front desk seemed confused about the check in procedure. We were not welcomed to the hotel, and when handed out room keys weren't even told which room we were staying in or directions to get to the room- we had to ASK for that information to be told to us. Our room was not clean and the toilet looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks if not months- as in black stains all inside the bowl, mold all over the bathroom etc. We called to have someone clean the room and were told that no one was working there to help us, that the person at the front desk was the ONLY PERSON WORKING IN THE WHOLE INN! What if there had been an emergency? She offered that we could CLEAN IT OURSELVES! But that there wasn't a room for us to switch to. We called back later and got a room switch which was only a small step above the first room in cleanliness. Never once did the woman apologize, when i mentioned this to her she said, "oh". Then our room keys didn't work, we weren't given towels after the maid services went through, the alarm clock was broken and made loud noises waking us up all night long. The list goes on. In short, if at all possible, arrange your travel plans elsewhere. It is not a nice place to stay and the customer service is among the worst i've seen.

• Liked — close to the location of the course we were taking
  • Disliked — It was dirty and the customer service was horrible
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Northern Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

On the positive side, the ice machine was perfect and the breakfast was above average. When we arrived at 11:00 PM the night clerk and someone I assume was from housekeeping, tried to figure out if there was a room made up. The clerk gave three room numbers to the housekeeper, and she left. She called back in about 5 minutes to tell the clerk what room to give us. I had the impression that something was going on in one or more of the rooms and the housekeeper had to clear it out. The halls and our room were dirty. There was dust and grime along the edges of the wall in the hall. The tile bathroom floor in our room had mud marks, as if someone with dirty shoes walked on a wet floor. There were pieces of lint and other dirt on the carpets. The shampoo and conditioner bottle looked like they had been stored on their side in a puddle of slime. The edges of the shower enclosure were filthy and the pillow case of one of the 4 pillows on the bed had blood on it. Not an old stain, but, blood that had not been washed off. The Manger, Eric, the morning we were leaving was arrogant and condescending to the staff and me, his customer. I said good morning and never got a response. The desk clerk in the morning was excellent. When I told her about a problem in the breakfast area with the coffee machine, she sought the help of the manager. She told him she didn’t know how to load the coffee machine and asked him to show her. She followed him over to the coffee machine and he never spoke to her and never showed her how to load the machine. His poor customer relations and lack of interpersonal skills rubbed off on the rest of the staff we encountered with the exception of the morning desk clerk. She will either become arrogant herself or, hopefully, move on to a different hotel. I have family in Carlisle, and visit when I am in Pennsylvania. I will not stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — Ice Machine
  • Disliked — arrogant attitude of Eric the manager
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Queens, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2008

My son goes to boarding school in the area and I usually stay at the Quality Inn in Enola, PA. When I checked their prices they had skyrocketed so I checked out the surrounding hotels and decided to stay at the Sleep Inn b/c it was reasonably priced. I didn't expect it to be better than the Quality Inn b/c I thought within the Choice Hotel chain, the Sleep Inn would be a downgrade from the Quality Inn. As far as I'm concerned, the Sleep Inn in Carlisle is the hotel I will use from now on when visiting my son's boarding school. It has free wi-fi (unlike the Quality Inn which I had to use a cable), the breakfast was better than I expected (I generally do not like or eat the continental breakfasts at hotels but there were actually people gathered in the eating area so I decided to give it a try!) The gym was decent (I didn't bring my sneakers b/c I wasn't expecting much; next time I know better) The staff was friendly. And it's right next to the Cracker Barrel. What more could I want for my bucks!! Remembering that it's not the Crowne Plaza or Waldorf, I give it an excellent b/c as far as 'budget' hotels are concerned I believe it is excellent.

• Liked — The price/the location/the free wi-fi, etc.
  • Disliked — not sure
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

On this business trip, the Sleep Inn at Carlisle was not my first choice. But for whatever reason, the Harrisburg area was booked solid in all the Hilton, Sheraton and Mariott chains. That is the reasoning for staying here for the night.

I had my expectations on staying here since it is a lower star rating than what I usually stay at for business.

ARRIVAL:

I had trouble with the in car GPS system of my travelling companion, so I was not sure where the hotel was. I called them up and the person answering gave me the instructions on how to get to the hotel. It was clear and I had no problems finding it. Good thing too, because the signage from the street is not that evident.

The front lobby is quite simple. The front desk person was efficient in checking both me and my co-worker. It did not take long and some information was already in their system from my travel agent making the booking.

ROOM:

The room is quite decent in size. The bed is not too soft. There is an in-room safe as well as a mini fridge. Both are good bonus factors for any hotel.

The shower head could be better though. I like my shower spray to be wider spread. The one here was quite the opposite. The water spray was more concentrated than wide.

AMENITIES:

The hotel has a simple gym and swimming pool. It is quite simple...the pool is about 15 – 20 feet long, so really it is like a wading pool. But the fact that it has one is pretty good and surprised me.

HOTEL PROXIMITY:

This hotel is right next to a Cracker Barrel Country Store. I really like the place. But if you like bar and grill restaurants, there is a Chilli’s on the other side of the Home Depot parking lot. The room key also shows an Applebee’s nearby and if you show the room key, you are supposed to get a 10% discount.

OVERALL:

I find the Sleep Inn here in Carlisle to be quite decent. It is clean and comfortable. You don’t get anything fancy because it is a no frills hotel. But the simple things that were available (like the room safe) are pretty nice. Budget conscious business travellers would do fine here, as would personal travellers who need a decent night’s stay and want to do better than the Super 8 and Motel 6.

Stayed May 2008
Albion, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2008

I stayed here with my daughter for the fourth time on our way home from Myrtle Beach. Very clean, comfortable, good breakfast, friendly staff and excellent value.
The hotel itself is quiet but a little road noise from I81. Not enugh to be a nuisance but there.

And next to Cracker Barrel. :-)

• Liked — Quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled with family
atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

My husband and I stayed here again for more real estate hunting. We stayed 3 nights this time and again were pleasantly suprised by the niceness of the folks at the hotel and in this area in general. The hotel is a good spot that is moderately price and more importantly takes animals of any size and amount! We again used our points for the stay however we were expecting and willing to pay the $10/night/dog fee. I had called a few days before to make sure we were in a ground level room (ease of nature calls) and front desk said we were. Once we arrived however we were located on the second floor. The front desk immediately waived the charges for the dogs so our stay was completely free! Really wasn't necessary but appreciated none the less. Same as my last review, however this time there was some snow but they were very quick to get salt/ice melt out on the parking lot. breakfast is quite busy early but they have fresh coffee all day and it is quite good.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple