“great stay”

Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Carlisle
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“great stay”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We stayed here just one night as we passed through the area, but were very pleased. Clean, comfortable, friendly staff, comprehensive hot breakfast...good value. We would recommend this to anyone. We'll be back as we go through this area again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Convenient location near the I-81. Clean room, nicely furnished with comfortable bed. Very polite and helpful front desk staff. Pet friendly with no additional pet fee, which is a really great find. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
North Reading, MA
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The room is more expensive than others in the area but u know what u are getting when you stay at a Hilton family facility. Nothing to complain about and the breakfast that was included was good. I have stayed in other hotels in the same area and this one I would rate above the others but I also paid for what I was getting. Wish the rates were a little more on par with the area. But I was happy to have a clean, quiet, comfy room to sleep in.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the main lobby, for more seclusion.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My husband stays at Hampton Inns when travelling on business, so we were very confident that our stay here would be great. Usually I research hotels in advance (on Tripadvisor) to make sure we won't be disappointed, but unfortunately, I didn't do that this time as it was a last minute stop. The first room they put us in on the first floor smelled like someone had been smoking in it. There was also a slight musty smell in there. As well, there were 3 or 4 of the maids' carts all lined up down the hallway. We asked to be moved to another room because of the smell of smoke. They accommodated our request no problem and put us in a queen 'suite'. However, the room they ended up putting us in was MUCH worse! I have never been in a room that smelled as bad as this one did. It was very musty and dank smelling. I would hate to think how much mould was in this room and to think that we were probably breathing in all of those spores. The bedding was damp as well because of the mustiness and heaviness of the room. After dinner, we couldn't face the thought of sitting in the room for the evening watching TV, so we got our lawn chairs out of the car and sat outside by our car until it was time to go to bed. We packed up first thing in the morning, loaded up the car and then went down to breakfast so that we wouldn't have to even go back into the room after we ate. If we hadn't already complained about the smell in the first room, we never would have stayed in the second room, but since we'd already said something, we didn't want to complain again. Now I wish I had. It was awful!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Traveling back to NY from Dayton, we wanted to break up the drive somewhere in PA. We know Hampton Inn is a reliable brand and stopped at Carlisle. Not only were we not disappointed, we were also pleasantly surprised. Walking in without a reservation, the front desk reception people could not have been more welcoming. One woman found us a room with a AAA discount and suggested a great (and inexpensive) diner that was close by and still serving at 9 pm. The room was a good size w/a king bed. The furnishings were a little dated but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom, though small, was immaculate. The free breakfast was outstanding, with bagel toppers (bacon, egg and cheese pre-cooked on half a bagel) an unexpected treat. I would suggest offering real utensils if not plates, rather than plastic, for a more upscale feel. They also offer grab and go breakfast in a bag which was a new option to us. Upon departure, we were treated with the same courtesy and friendliness. A real strong sell for another stay at a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
West Windsor, NJ
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Location: The Hampton is located right off I-76 – it’s literally 1/10 of a mile from the highway entrance/exit. You have to get off and then make a U-turn on route 11(which is a divided highway) to get in, but other than that minor annoyance it’s in a great spot. It’s about ten minutes from downtown Carlisle.

Amenities: Hilton trotted out the standard Hampton package for this hotel, and it was great as usual. The free breakfast was predictably good, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was nice. The layout of the room was a bit strange; it was long and narrow, and rather than a closet, it had an armoire across from the bed. The armoire was in between the television stand and refrigerator/microwave unit, and next to all of that was a small dresser and end table. Taken together, those pieces created a long, low wall of furniture which made the already narrow room's dimensions seem even more squeezed. The lobby of the Hampton was quite nice – spacious, with plenty of tables, two televisions, and several couches.

Service: The cleaning lady left a hand-written welcome note – I thought that was a nice touch. The only minor annoyance I experienced was that the man who checked me in at the front desk was helpful to the point of being obsequious…I kinda wanted him to tone it down. I value efficiency and professionalism over flowery prose.

Overall: I prefer Hampton over every other hotel chain, and this hotel didn’t do anything to shake my loyalty. It’s not the best Hampton I’ve stayed in, but I’d take it over a Courtyard any day.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Boston
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I was becoming something of regular at Hampton Inn until I stayed at this one. This was like any other Hampton Inn - decent service, nice pool etc. but the room smelled musty and moldy. Everything in the room was clammy and damp. There was no way to even open the window. The source of the problem was obviously the climate control unit. The climate of the rooms are controlled by individual heater-air conditioning units installed in each room. The unit in our room blew damp dank air that stank of mold. Heavens knows what spores this filthy unit was filling the air with. We had booked for two days, but one was all I could take. We cancelled the second night and stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family