“Usual stay for me in Carlisle”

Hampton Inn Carlisle
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This is the place I usually stay when in Carlisle. The facility has been pretty good, but last couple of stays this year were not as good as usual. The AC units were really loud and one of the dressers in the room had a busted drawer which was very obvious, yet there was no sign of it being addressed. I still like to stay there as it is convenient and has a nice view out the back.

The staff is always very nice and friendly, I really like that.

I see they are getting some work done to update it, which will be nice. It is an average property now, but I hope to stay again when it is very good or better.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Carlisle

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We have stayed here several times and always appreciate its location and welcoming staff. Even our little dog likes i! The rooms are very clean and spacious. The breakfast area is large enough to accommodate the guests and the staff is exceedingly helpful. It is one mile off of I-81 and near restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We spent a night at the Hampton Inn Carlisle PA while travelling by car from the Northeast to the Midwest. It is very conveniently located on the road that connects Interstate 81 with the PA Turnpike. I picked this hotel over some of the lower priced alternatives in the area because it is a non-smoking hotel. While the public areas on the ground floor were being renovated, this did not affect our room. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. the included breakfast was good. WiFi worked well. The hotel is on the outer edge of Carlisle. I recommend you take a look around the town before continuing your journey. It's very nice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We arrived to find this Hampton Inn adorned by a construction permit. One of the desk staff, when I asked, said that the location had been operating for 12 years now and Hilton had recently decided to bring it up to "Hampton standards". Right now they're working on the common spaces, mostly the lobby; in the next year they're hoping to bring the guest rooms up to snuff.

That's fortunate, and I would perhaps have rated them lower if they hadn't been addressing those issues. Frankly, our room was not well-appointed. The decor is dingy and the finishes show signs of wear. The bed was comfy, but the sofa felt like concrete. The desk on which my laptop rested was rickety and too high for comfortable use. No closet space--rather a wardrobe with limited capacity. Mini-fridge, TV, chairs, coffee table--it was all a little crowded and clumsy.

Another minor frustration--the little courtesy hygiene items in the bath were packaged with caps that were brutally hard to open. Whoever works with the manufacturer of those things should get them to re-design.

The hotel has a little fitness room with just a couple of treadmills, a bike, and an elliptical. Probably serviceable for short stays.

The plus side here, and it's huge, is that the staff was so friendly, efficient and cheerful that I barely knew how to respond. Most notable was Star, the young woman who administered the breakfast buffet. Now, this buffet was a nice cut above the usual, they did have all the pastry-and-cereal options and that flip-over waffle iron that I'd come to love when staying in a motel, but they also had great mini-cheese omelettes and fresh fruit salad, so I felt my diet was balanced. All the while, Star moved about making certain that everything was well stocked and clean, greeting everyone and offering help without being obtrusive. She's a treasure and I hope her manager reads this.

Honestly, I started out rather disappointed at the value of this location. Judging by room and price alone, I'd have rated it a 3. But the quality of the breakfast and especially the congenial staff won me over. When the renovations are complete, I might rate this place a 5. They're doing things right, even if a little slow to upgrade the facility.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Very clean and friendly. Breakfast was wonderful! Location is a bit tricky to find but once there, we were greeted and given directions into town to a local restaurant we really enjoyed. Room was clean and large. I'll stay again if I'm in this area!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I have stayed here many nights for business. I stopped doing so about 1 1/2 years ago. It was a perpetual mix of poor service, rooms that smelled of smoking, and sloppy management. I stayed last night. I was pleasantly surprised to see the site was now non-smoking, and the desk clerk was friendly. This morning halfway through my shower all hot water disappeared. This Hampton is clueless. I travel 200+ nights a year. This is one of the worst hotels in the mix. I will be back to staying elsewhere when in Carlisle.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
vince1230, General Manager at Hampton Inn Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

I would like to thank you for your review about the hotel. It was nice to see that you noticed the change to nonsmoking and also the new staff at the hotel. I do want to apologize for the issues with the hot water. We have spent the last few months try to track down the problem of the hot water issues. Due to the random problems it was hard for the hotel as well as two local plumbing companies to figure out what the problem was. I am proud to say that the problem as been addressed and should not happen again. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so I make personally welcome you back to our hotel. We are currenly renovating the lobby and rooms will be renovated at the end of the year.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Just back from a trip that started and ended with a one night stay here. In the middle were a number of similar level motels and everything about this Hampton was above average. The helpful staff, clean modern rooms with nothing to get in the way of peaceful night’s sleep, and the location just off the interstate make this a great place to stop. They are pet-friendly which we greatly appreciate. As my British friends like to say, “no worries here, mate”.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family