“Good Location and Value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Carlisle

Econo Lodge Carlisle
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good Location and Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Although noisy because of the proximity to the Interstate, the Econo Lodge was a fine place for us to stop off on our travels north. The room started chilly because of missing weather stripping on the door and the heat flowed behind the curtain covering over the window, but eventually warmed up for comfort. The room was freshly painted and we had no problems with the cleanliness. The breakfast was standard hotel fare and the coffee was very drinkable. It is good value and location for the weary traveler.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
EconoLodge C, General Manager at Econo Lodge Carlisle, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write us the review. Our goal is to provide great service to our guests at affordable rates. Your comments help us try harder in achieving our goal and provide a pleasant and enjoyable stay for our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Hudson, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We decided to go for the cheapest rooms and deal with whatever was in there. We were fine with anything run down. It's not like we were on vacation, just traveling and needed sleep. But wow, the room strongly smelt like chlorine which was odd. The big mirror looked like it has never been cleaned so it made me wonder why it was never attended to. There was lots of hair in the tub and bathroom floor. There were finger prints by the light switch between beds. Plus, I was a little bit itchy while I was in the bed... it made me wonder if housekeeping ever changed the sheets? Otherwise, I liked the furniture in the room, functioning fridge and microwave, big flatscreen TV was awesome, and breakfast was decent enough.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Erin K
Staten Island, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

While traveling to Western PA on a recent Thursday night, my car broke down on the Carlisle, PA exit ramp. I instructed the tow truck driver to drop me and my family off at the Econolodge, as it was the closest hotel and because I remembered seeing a low price (no more than $60, by my recollection) advertised on their exterior sign board every time I had driven by in the past. However, because there was apparently some sort of convention or car race in town that weekend, the front desk clerk quoted me the incredible price of $119...for an Econolodge...in Carlisle, PA...on a Thursday night. Since I had no transportation and a wife and baby to find shelter for, I had no choice but to pay up, but I consider the price exorbitant. When I inquired about a AAA discount, the clerk told me that I was already getting a discount. Huh?

The room on the walk-up second floor landing seemed ok, although it took a few tries for the pass card lock to actually work. A few things to note:

1. the light_in the bathroom_ was unbelievable dim. It couldn't have been more than 30 watts. However, the flourescent light above the sink (which was not in the bathroom, but in the main room) was bright enough to illuminate a night game at Yankee Stadium. A little odd, to say the least. 2. The room had a safe. Do the patrons of ECONOLODGE really travel with so many jewels and valuables that the rooms need to have a built-in safe? I would have preferred a refrigerator, since I was travelling with a baby, and need to refrigerate his milk and food. 3. The number and variety of bugs in the room, both dead and alive, was extraordinary, hence the title of my review. I never knew there were so many different kinds of bugs, and I got a lot of exercise chasing them around to kill them, on the window, the walls, the floor and the bathtub. 4. The volume on the TV defaulted to the loudest possible setting every time you turned in on. So, when you clicked the on button after the TV had been off, you had better have your finger on the volume button or risk having your eardrums blown.

The hotel offered a complimentary continental breakfast in the morning. They offered most of the standard fare, except fruit. I arrived at 8AM, and did not see any fruit, which most hotels offer. The milk for the cereal was just sitting on the counter, since there was no refrigerator. They did offer bacon and eggs, which I have not seen in comparable establishments. And the waffle machine just didn't seem to work correctly (despite my following the directions to the letter) and the waffles just didn't taste as good as the do at other hotels. There was an older gentleman wandering around, cleaning up messes and helping guests with the waffle machine. I noticed him clean up a mess on the floor and then use the same rag to clean the counter. On the way back to my room, I took a look at the exercise room. There were three machines, which seemed to be falling apart.

I could live with all the flaws I noted, if not for the price. The hotel wasn't so bad. There were a lot of positives. But I feel like I was gypped, since the hotel is selling the same room for next Thursday at $54 for the night. What gives?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jnypa291
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We stopped here en route to our final destination after driving several hours. I found the night clerk somewhat pushy, but other staff we encountered polite. The room was not comfortable because we did not feel it was adequately clean due to slightly musty smell, a couple hairs in the bathroom, and stains in the toilet bowl. The rate was higher than listed on Internet, and the clerk said it was because we got 2 queen beds, but we should also have gotten the promised AAA rate. I felt like I had to haggle for what we paid and it was still not right. We appreciated the free breakfast, but as I was fixing a bowl of cereal to take upstairs for our son, the day clerk turned the light off on me because the clock struck 9:00, and that's when breakfast ended! I wish we had left to find another hotel as we did not have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Tag1126
scranton pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

we went for corvette show
boy did we make a mistake
wallpaper falling off wallpaper falling off walls
unbearable strong mold smell
breakfast a joke
bandi at front gave us another room not much better
very upsetting stay
if we had not paid ahead we would have run

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank betty n
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Called the hotel directly to make reservations. Visiting Gettysburg and hotels in that area were packed or overly priced. My first experience with the manager was pleasant and professional. Requested two rooms and received a " manager's special " rate.
Long story short, rooms were damp, smelly, paint falling off the walls. Shower room was full of mold and never quit clean. Non-smoking room smelled of cigarette smoke.
Since I had a great rate the manager could not, would not move us to the inside of the main building. To boot, extremely noisy room, from the a/c. to the road a few yards away. I tell you, forget this place if you have a choice. Reading some of the reviews on this page, I do not feel alone in my sentiments. Feel bad for the family that runs the place. But there is a difference between value and low cost and get what you can for the room and run....away from clients complaints or minimum standards of cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, maybe ask for a room inside the main building. They say all of the rooms have...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SemperF
Griffin, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

I don't know what your definition of "newly renovated" is, but this place is filthy!! The air conditioning unit was propped up on 2x4's. The linens (sheets, pillowcases, washcloths, and towels) were very dingy and looked like they had not been laundered in quite a while; bedspreads were stained; pillows were covered in yellow, dingy stains.....I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that if I had not been so tired and it was so late, that I had to rest, I would have demanded a refund and left immediately! There is no way I was going to partake of their "complimentary breakfast" with all the grime and filth I had already experienced! The health department really needs to shut this place down! They give a bad name to the Choice Hotels Properties and should not be members of this group!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family