“Very Clean, Great Staff, but very noisey due to highway”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Carlisle
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Carlisle
Selden, New York
“Very Clean, Great Staff, but very noisey due to highway”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The hotel was nice, very clean rooms that were big. Breakfast in the morning was great. Major negative was the sound from the freeway. It is literally right outside the window and you can hear the cars and trucks all night long. I highly recommend bringing a nature sound sleep system or something to block the noise at night~maybe two pairs of earplugs! Otherwise, we had a nice stay.

Room Tip: ask for the parking lot side of the building to try to block some of the noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Jessica M, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Carlisle, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Guest,
I apologize for the concerns you have about your experience on the highway noise during your stay here as our guest. However, please note that within the next two months we will implement towards the highway side of the hotel a noise reduction project involving replacement of 33 AC Units with quieter split AC Units and installing 42 windows inside existing windows and it is then expected that the highway noise transmission to the room will be reduced appreciably, resulting in sound sleep for our guests. I want to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it is only through reviews like yours that we can make changes to our hotel to better serve our guests. We thank you for choosing the Country Inn and Suites Carlisle for your recent lodging needs and look forward to seeing you in the future!
Yours in hospitality,
Jessica Miller, Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have stayed at several Country Inn and Suites and have been very satisfied. This time was an exception. It was extremely LOUD in our room, primarily from highway truck traffic RIGHT outside our room. In addition, the heat kicking in and those at the proximate ice machine were also noisy. Admittedly, we probably had the worst room in the whole hotel - 1st floor just off lobby and on the highway side (#109 - avoid it!). I can't imagine it was any quieter in any other room on this side of the building, though. In addition to the noise, two of the lights in the room were not working, which led to a bit of fumbling when entering the room at night.

Included breakfast was good. The bed was comfortable and the facility is pleasant and clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet/non-highway side of the building
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank j1959c
Montreal
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We were very happy with our stay here. On check in, the receptionist, un asked, changed the computer generated room number to one on the quiet side of the hotel. We were given a Welcome goody bagand . After driving 500 miles, we loved the hot tub. The Inn is only 3 years old so everything is still shiny and new. the room and bathroom was spacious, lots of counter space in the bathroom. We very much enjoyed breakfast, hot egg and sausage(him), granola, fruit and yoghurt (me) It's about a mile from the highway to the Inn but we found it well worth the trip. Check out the hotel discount coupons as using one of those made our stay pretty reasonable

Room Tip: Quiet side of the hotel away from the highway
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 113pine
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Hotel staff was very friendly. We stayed 2 separate nights. We were traveling from NC to NY to visit family for New Years. Breakfast food was good. 1st morning there was scrambled eggs, bacon & potato's. Hot oatmeal, waffles, yogurt and fixings were available. Better breakfast than some other Country Inn & Suites that we have been to. 2nd time they had Fried Eggs, biscuits & Sausage. They use real dishware, not paper products. That was a nice homey touch.

1st room needed a little TLC, the bathroom had some ripping wall paper by the Shower Head. Other than that, no real complaints. Room was quite. 2nd room on the way back, needed a good dusting. I noticed a bunch of dust on the hair dryer. In the morning I saw little white hairs on one of the bed spreads. I'm wondering if the previous guest had a dog. I meant to tell the staff, but with a little one in tow, I forgot. Nothing for me to say we won't be back. I think we'll make this hotel our "Stop Over" hotel for future trips.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My friend and I were in town for a wedding on the weekend. We checked in on a Saturday and left Sunday afternoon. Upon arrival the front desk staff was very friendly. We noticed there was a high school soccer team or maybe even college checking in as well. We were asked what floor we wanted to be on and whatever floor we chose they would put the kids on the opposite floor, We choose a front room on the 3rd floor because we were told the back rooms are noisy because of the highway. The kids were put on the first and second floors.

We found the sheets to be clean, the room was clean and overall the bed was so comfortable. (pillow top) The downside to the hotel was that the bathroom tub does not have any protection against slipping while showering. If there is too much lather from your soap in the shower you could fall. My other issue was that the water in the sink would drain out very slowly, while brushing my teeth I had a sink full of water.

We never had the chance to have the continental breakfast or use any of the amenities, but again it was only an overnight stay.

I did not unpack as soon as I got home but about a day or two later I noticed I had left my pajamas and a few other items behind in the room. I contacted the hotel and spoke to Jennifer who told me the items had been retrieved. She said i could pick them up the next day, unfortunately I do not live in Pennsylvania, I live in NY. When Jennifer heard this she offered to mail my things back to me. Who does that? I thought this was such a great gesture on the hotels part and I thank the people that turned my things in!!! It has only been a day so I have not received the items yet, but I am so happy they are on the way.

For one night the price was great for two people and the hotel was acceptable. If I was passing through that town again for a short stay I would definitley stay at this hotel. We were very satisfied with our visit, in fact if we are ever in any other locations we will definitely check out Country Inn & Suites.

Room Tip: Dont choose any room on the back side of the hotel, if you are a light sleeper you will not apprecia...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
NH
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We have stayed here several times and will continue to stay here when we are in the area. The staff are warm and friendly. They can't do enough to make you feel comfortable and welcome. Breakfast is included which is always nice. There are several hot and cold items to choose from. The hotel is clean and well cared for. There are several stores and restaurants near the hotel. One of the best features are the warm cookies waiting for you when you arrive!

Room Tip: Stay in the front of the building. There's a highway in the back that can be noisy.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Shokan
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This was a disappointing stay. At first it seemed OK; the manager offered us a room on the non-highway side, so I was expecting good things. The lobby was cute, and there were cookies and fruit available. But then it all went downhill. Our first room was so dirty we had to request a new room. When I pulled back the covers in on the bed in our first room there were black specks all over the sheets. The bed was so poorly made it looked like it had been slept in. We couldn't figure out if they were bugs or not. My husband's pillow was so dirty it looked like something was spilled on it. The hairs in the sheets and pillow case were too much so we asked for another room. Unfortunately we got the room next door, cleaned by the same person. The sheets were better (far from perfect) but the carpet was disgusting. By the door it had obviously never been vacuumed, and there was a huge mat of black hair on the floor. The bathroom counter had dried patches of lotion(?) on it. I have never stayed in such a dirty room. I wanted to switch hotels but it was very late so we stayed. The sheets and towels looked like they were 50 years old. Extremely thin and discolored. It was unbelievable. The next morning we went to the free breakfast buffet which was ready on time (yea). Unfortunately the scrambled eggs were so bad I couldn't eat them. They were gritty, like they were instant and not well made. I tried a hard-boiled egg, (aweful) and the "bacon" was terrible. The fruit tasted strange, so we ate packaged items - cereal and nutri-grain bars. We travel a lot and stay at many places, and this was by far my worst experience ever. I will never stay there again and I recommend everyone else stay away.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family