“Minimal accommodation for cheap , barely decent motel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Harrisburg - Carlisle

Motel 6 Harrisburg - Carlisle
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Stow, Ohio
“Minimal accommodation for cheap , barely decent motel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

First off we got a former smoking room and had requested non-smoking . It still stunk. Every furnishing looked worn . Sink area was okay but sprayer splashed water if turned up much.
Toilet seat was bad plastic horseshoe type and moved around when sat on. The drain in the tub barely drained and was rusty . Towels were rough and thin. Only coffee provided in the morning in lobby. Bedding was ancient and pillows were crappy . If we hadn't been so tired both days there I doubt I would have slept okay and I was worried about bedbugs from seeing a review after getting there . Didn't pay for wifi because I had satellite phone access , but was surprise to find you had to pay extra . Wouldn't want to stay here again. Carpets were worn , paint peeling and it was barely clean . In bad need of an overhaul from top to bottom.

Room Tip: Don't see much difference in any room here . The inner section of units might be a bit more quie...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Motel 6 makes you pay $2.99 a day for Wi-Fi. That stinks but the part that really reeks is that the Wi-Fi speed at this Motel is .13 mb/s which is about 25% the speed of dial-up on a good day.
If you're stuck in a room far from the office, you won't get a signal. If you're nearer to the office, the signal comes in but drops out ALL THE TIME.
Additionally, Motel 6 blocks websites and does not allow you to freely surf the internet.

If you want to stay Friday night, they will not allow you to book the room without taking Saturday night as well.

Next time I'll go out of my way and be happy to pay more money to stay at a hotel that includes HIGH-SPEED internet for free. This Motel is a lose, lose lose.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank David C

Travellers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Douglas, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

The motel itself was average at best. The desk clerk was friendly. The beds were comfy. The bathroom was small and didn't look as if it had been cleaned properly. I had to go get all clean sheets b/c there was hair on the bed and on the sheets. Personally, I don't think anyone actually changed the sheets from the patron who was there before me. During the night someone decided to play loud music and the night clerk had to be called several times before someone called the police to quiet the rowdy ones down. You get what you pay for. Next time I will shell out the extra money for a better room. The only good thing I can say is that they allow pets at no extra charge.

Room Tip: Just check the sheets.. better yet, ask for clean sheets and change the bed yourself.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Rental car broke down at exit the other hotels at that exit were booked so I braced for the worst and booked a room since Hertz could not get me a replacement car until the morning (this was at 2am).

Front desk clerk very friendly. Got a top room floor end unit which was quiet as they stated....after 1 complaint.

Room was typical bare bones Motel 6 but clean. Had one loud neighbor upon arrival and I called front desk and they said quote "we are very sorry sir, I will go see them now and fix it or I will call the police and have them removed!" Pretty hardcore in my opinion but within 5 minutes I never heard another sound of loud music or yelling, laughing or running around the outside.

Kudos.

When I checked out in the morning I got a cup of coffee and to my surprise the manager gave me a refund of 50% on my room for the noise. That caught me off guard because the noise issue was when I first went to my room and it was resolved within minutes. I told him the stay was being paid for by Hertz because the car broke down and told him the results from the night clerk more than satisfied me and his offer to discount room was too much for such a minor issue so please charge Hertz the full price. (I don't like Hertz at all). :)

I've read other reviews on another site that all rave how the owners treat their customers better than most 4/5 star hotels. In my short stay I'd agree. For less than $30 you can't beat a clean room, professional and polite employees and a hot cup of joe for the road.

Impressed.

So Motel 6 is not my style but if it is you're style this is a winner. Nothing fancy but clean and the owners run a tight ship. I give it three stars because....well, it's a motel 6 and 3 stars is a good score.

Only other issue is the tv was old and small and the towels were very small. But this is what Motel 6 uses so not a complaint at the owners.

I'd recommend, and, if ever in need of a room at that exit again for ONE night, I'd go back.

Room Tip: Top floor and on the side facing away from interstate.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank taiwandave
Lady Lake, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

We were headed to NH from FL for the summer season in June or May, 2010. We had two criteria, one was pets OK and the other was price. We got to the room and it looked OK but closer examination revealed a lot of dirt/dust along the baseboards. When the pets (2) came in, they raced over to certain sections of the carpet and started rolling around on the floor as if they had just discovered 'something REALLY interesting' The next morning I saw dead bugs in the bathroom light and removed the cover expecting flies but got what looked like roaches.No bed bugs though. Otherwise the place was generally clean and comfortable but somewhat out of date. Had a small continental b'fast with seating area. BUT we gat a good price ($42) with nothing extra for the pets.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rgrhrtwl
Erie pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

I go in to pay and its a dank hallway, the gentleman is on the phone yelling at another patron because their kid were being to loud. I gently laughed and said if you are worried about the noise maybe you should put us away from other people. Since we were traveling with a 3,6,10 year old at the time.
We get to the room, and find wet cat food all over the rug, dry cat food all over the floor. The kid were filthy, but I refused to use the tub it was disgusting. My kids slept in there sleeping bags on top of the bed. It was just an icky motel. I told the woman while we were checking out about the problems and she just shrugged her shoulders. We will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

I booked thru Orbitz. Desk clerk did not hold my reservation even though I called Motel 6 directly to say I would be arriving way late. Desk clerk tried to raise the rate by $20.00. Reservation was guaranteed with VISA.I went down the road to the Iron Skillet and called Orbitz from my cell phone. Desk clerk honored reservation and price after she had been contacted by Orbitz.. I paid 59.99. I wanted a basic room,bed,clean sheets, shower for a one night stay.
This room was dirty beyond belief. Spiders went scurrying when I turned on the bathroom light. There were dusty webs hanging in the bathtub area. The spiders were nesting in the combination light and ventilating fan. They need an exterminator. There was a thick layer of dust on the carpet around the entire perimeter of the room. The carpets need a professional shampooing. Room was icy cold when I entered and I actually turned on the heat. Dust set off my allergies and asthma.
There are no amenities, no alarm clock, no Kleenex, no shampoo, no armchair, only two hangers, just one chair at the combinatition desk/dresser. Shower has no grab bars and hot and cold faucets which must be adjusted.
This Motel 6 is below expectations for even a low cost no frills motel. The convenient location (Easy exit, entrance to PA turnpike, close to at least two 24 hour trucksops with decent food) and low cost do not compensate for the lack of service and basic cleanliness. I will not stay here again, and I will avoid any Motel 6 anywhere in the country in the future.The entire experience was unpleasant and uncomfortable and overpriced even at $59.99.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business