“Andalusia - Spanish and Moroccan”
Review of Andalusia

Andalusia
Ranked #8 of 167 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Andalusia offers both tapas and full dinners. Has a dining room and also a bar area where one can dine. I've gone with friends who are vegetarians and carnivores. The tapas are especially delicious and the Moroccan dishes are excellent and not available elsewhere. Don't miss the oyster mushrooms with cheese. My only request is that they might now introduce some new items,once in a while, maybe give a nod to the Spanish tradition of offering tapas specials on a chalk board. Has a full bar and wine; including interesting cocktails that use ginger and Spanish sherries.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My family loves this place. The wine selection is great and usually the waiter can give really detailed explanations of any wine on the list. The food is delicious and interesting. My only reservation is that I never walk out of there without spending more than I wanted to - just too many great choices! Oh, and if you are looking for atmosphere - this would not be the place to go. However, usually I can overlook the cheap tables, boring lighting, lack of tablecloths or placemats, rolled silverware, and ugly flooring because the food is so delicious.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We went to Andalusia on the recommendation of our innkeeper and what a treat it was! We were there early and received excellent service with recommendations and explanations of the very extensive menu. The food was delicious and served promptly. We will go back when we are in the area again.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed over night in Carlisle to visit Dickinson College for February accepted students' day. It's a nice little town, but it is clear that they roll up the sidewalks on Sunday night. We walked from our hotel to the College and back, a distance of about four blocks, then up and down the two main streets of the town. The place was a ghost town. The hotel restaurant was closed on Sunday. Market Cross Pub, the BBQ place and the Gingerbread Man looked okay, but we wanted something a little nicer than pub food, and Café Bruges had a 20 minute wait. We were tired from our five hour drive and hour and a half stroll around the campus, and quite cold, so we tried Andalusia.

We shared an order of olives marinated in thyme-orange olive oil. There were perhaps ten olives and a few tiny crusts of unremarkable bread however, the orange infused oil was tasty. The portion and particularly the bread, barely justified the modest $5 price. I had the Serrano ham & bechamel fritters which was a more satisfying choice. My daughter enjoyed the savory Moroccan chick pea and lentil soup, which I tasted and agreed with her. We shared an order of the Paella Andalusia. It was adequate but not generous in size or composition. The menu said it serves one to two persons. It would have been a bit much for one person but barely stretched for two. It could have used some more of the good stuff, but what there was of it was flavorful, albeit a bit salty. Two glasses of the Fuente Milano Verdejo / Virua solved that problem. My daughter enjoyed the flan for dessert, while I had a cake and ice cream combination which was very nice, but small to the point of unsatisfying. There was no port available or sweet dessert wine (A Muscat would have complemented the dessert well) so I settled for a glass of brut champagne. Our check came to $85 - not unreasonable with three glasses of wine.

The space is somewhat utilitarian and I missed a table cloth here, but on a cold winter evening at 7:00 p.m., the bright colors seemed inviting through the window. There were only three other parties and so the service was prompt, attentive, and friendly. The young woman who served us was a Dickinson student and spent a few minutes talking with my daughter on our way out.

If my daughter chooses Dickinson, I will give Andalusia another try, primarily because there appears to be few choices on Sunday night in Carlisle.

2  Thank jtc2008
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Ate here the other night with some fellow workers, one of which was Moroccan. This was my first time trying Moroccan food so I have nothing to base the experience off of but I got the Harira (SP?) soup in addition to the chicken skewers. The soup was pretty good but the skewers were fairly dry and essentially the size of half a chicken breast, pretty expensive for the amount of food received. The atmosphere and decor in the restaurant is nice and the service was excellent. I did try one of the other dishes someone else ordered and it just didn't suit me (forgot what it was called though). We finished the meal with the Moroccan tea ($3.00 a glass, again fairly expensive) and it was delicious.