“Do not stay here if you want a good night's rest.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Carlisle Harrisburg Area
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Carlisle
Hollywood, California
“Do not stay here if you want a good night's rest.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel put us up against the Pennsylvania Turnpike. We heard traffic all night long. They moved our room at 1:30 am then all night long we heard yelling and screaming from the room next door. We called the front desk about a dozen times. They said sorry for any inconvenience. It sounds like the kids were being either neglected or being abused. Well this hotel allows 8 people in one room which is a fire hazard. 6 kids and 2 so called adults who does not know how to control their children. The hotel said there was only one baby in the room. Well anyone knows that a baby can't talk. I threaten to call DCF or the local police about the children's well being. Well the hotel got scared and they let these so called parents know what I was going to do if they failed to control the uncontrollable children. So the hotel called the police to report me treating to call DCF. The uncontrollable children were yelling, screaming, banging the walls. We paid to get sleep. We did not get what we paid for. When I was trying to get done and out of the hotel the police came banging on our door asking me if I threaten to call child welfare services. I told him yes because it sounded like either there were multiple children being abused or neglected or both. The officer told me that the hotel called the police because the people who had the uncontrollable children got scared. I feel that the parents need to understand that they need to be responsible for their children's behavior. When the so called parents were leaving they slammed the door and I peeked my head out and I just told the so called father that he needed to learn how to keep control of his children. This is a hotel no a zoo. I complained to the so called general manager and she said sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused. I told her that I paid for sleep. I did not get that. The general manager said that she would not put up with screaming uncontrollable brats. I almost got in to a bad car wreck because I didn't get my proper sleep that I paid for. The general manager called me and made up excuses and told me if I didn't like how I was treated or my stay I don't have to return this Holiday Inn Express in Carisle, Pennsylvania. I told her I would never return to this hotel ever again. I advised her if she were to take care of our bill, or 50% off I would leave this be. She got really rude with me and I then hung up on her. I am not telling anyone what to do, but if I were you I would not sleep here if you really want a good night's rest. If you want to hear slamming doors or the Pennsylvania Turnpike traffic all night long and rude staff, then stay here.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
15 Thank California90210
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Carlisle Harrisburg Area, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear California90210,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Carlisle.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Our stay at the HIE in Carlisle was for the most part very good. The hotel itself is new (it even has that new construction smell) and the front desk staff was very professional and polite even though they seemed to be a bit slow (credit this to the newness of the facility - I'm sure that it will improve over time). The beds were very comfortable and the rooms clean and spacious. I have stayed in many different hotels on both business and personal travel. Had it not been for the thin walls in the facility, I would rate this hotel with some of the best in which I have stayed. Unfortunately, the walls are so thin that we could literally hear the conversations in the rooms on either side of us. To the hotel's credit, however, they do try to keep people with small children on the first floor to lessen the problem. It's a shame that more insulation wasn't used during the construction. It might have made this a five star facility.

Room Tip: Stay way from the first floor if you don't have young children
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Imageezer
Hotel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Carlisle Harrisburg Area, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and are glad you were comfortable during your stay with us. We are also very sorry about the noise you encountered from the neighboring room and we will certainly look into the problem. We hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in the Carlisle area.
Walden, Tenn
Reviewed 10 January 2014

HIE properties follow a predictable design but the one in Carlisle is a bit different. The breakfast area is much larger than in most HIEs and my room, a "suite" was very strangely configured. Lighting, decor, and other subtle features of the hotel made me rub my eyes to be sure I was in a HIE!

None of this is a negative. In fact, the service at this hotel was good, the property was clean, and everything was in working order. Didn't particularly like the layout of my room with poor lighting and furniture arrangment but, again, they assigned me what they called a suite (although it was just one over sized room) and perhaps the run of the house rooms are more traditional.

Like all the numerous properties in this area where I-81 and the Pa Turnpike converge, the neighborhood is dominated by trucks and related businesses and the road is busy and generally unattractive. But if business brings you to Carlisle there is no reason to shy away from this unique Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our hotel to be unique. We hope you will stay with us again.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed here for four days during the holidays. Although the hotel was almost empty, it was very loud with slamming doors and the busy highway that is a mere 50 feet from the back of the hotel. The reason I stayed here was because they allow pets. The pet policy online and in the policy book located in the hotel room says, "a one time pet fee of $25" the manager explained that was not the case and the pet fee was nightly. When I insisted what the policy stated, she did only end up charging me the fee for two nights and not four but was unpleaseant and downright rude. The beds are on metal box springs and make clicking noises when you move. Too boot, this hotel is brand new and has yet to be finished with door knobs missing and paint needing touched up. The room I was staying in needed the door to be pushed hard and handle jiggled to make it catch and lock. I will not stay again.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Dawtay
Hotel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Carlisle Harrisburg Area, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff and service may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and will use the valuable feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service.

Again, we do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Great room for a family of 5--and dog. Kids got in some pool time then a good night's sleep before making breakfast the next morning. We will definitely stay there again as we travel that way often to visit family.

Room Tip: Try to get room away from highway.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hotel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Carlisle Harrisburg Area, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. We are sincerely glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know that you are a light sleeper the next time you stay with us so that we may accommodate you better. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!
Ebensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 December 2013

It was a wonderful experience from the moment we arrived to the moment we departed.
The hotel is beautifully appointed and the room was very comfortable and roomy.
The staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. We were made to feel very welcome.
We particularly enjoyed speaking with our check in clerk, although, sadly we can not remember her name.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us a positive review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the room comfortable and that we made you feel welcome and that you enjoyed speaking to our check-in clerk. We strive to give our guests exceptional service. We look forward to host you and your family again should your travels bring you back to the area.
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Was put up at the hotel for 26-27 oct 2013 for a friends reception party. The hotel was very neat with excellent breakfast spread. The room and bathroom were very clean and tidy. They also gave us their meeting room to practice our dance session.Was a enjoyable and comfortable stay all together.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give us a positive review. We are very pleased to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us and that we could accommodate you to practice your dance session and that you enjoyed our breakfast. Again we are glad that you and your friends were comfortable and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your stay with us again should you come to the area again.