“NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, AGAIN. DID I MENTION NEVER AGAIN!”
Review of Diamond Inn

Diamond Inn
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Absolutely the filthiest place I've stayed at. Scum around the ice dispenser, no security at night,security doors left open, people walking around in the hallway and lobby and driveway parking lot just loitering. Soft spot in bottom of tub. Floors dirty. Carpet in room and hallway filthy. Lamp cord had heavy end table sitting on it mashing it into carpet. Followed the cord under bed then into wall, no socket. I was in the front right side of motel. I was so mad, I called HOJO HQ's and they said there was a new owner and they would contact him immediately. HA! The bar was hopping though! If you were looking for drinks and a cheap companion for the night, this is it. Alot of truckers in there from the BIG truck stop next door. Only good thing...great location for EA on and EZ off Interstates (2)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josh309
There are newer reviews for Diamond Inn

Reviewed 18 May 2008

This is the second worst hotel that I have stayed at my entire life.

I slept with a Kleenex over my nose. I put Ben Gay ointment on it so I didn't have to smell the room. The inside door looked filthy.

Sheets were rough and worn out - didn't fit the bed. Towels were slimy.

The lobby and the area to the restaurant bathroom are dismal and not quite clean. We saw glasses and plates left over from a dinner the night before. Just warn out and tired and it looked as if no one cared anymore.

Our room had the lovely view of a worn out laundromat. If I had the room - I would have slept in the back seat of my car instead of in the bed.

It looked as though one time - somebody cared about the place because of the extensive Japanese stylized gardens that are now overgrown. Really broke my heart to see beautiful tree specimens let go.

There are much better and cleaner hotels in this same area -- Holiday Inn and others.

Run away from this place and don't look back.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BirdsandBay
Reviewed 23 July 2007

We arrived on 7/5 for a car show weekend. This is the 3rd time we've stayed her and each time it has been just adequate. It's a place to rest your head after a day at the car show/swap meet. Carlisle is a trucking hub, so I don't thin this motel is geared to families as the Howard Johnson's name has been for years.
When we arrived, there were some moths on the windows and floor, but the rest of the room looked ok. The front hall and rooms there have a stale odor. The nightstand was pulled from the wall a bit and when I looked behind it I saw what I thought were toe/fingernail clippings. This was confirmed by my son later that night. Since it was so late, my husband went to the front desk first thing the next morning and asked that the room get a thorough cleaning, no problem they said. They even mentioned something about moving us, but assured us the room would be clean. We knew they were full so a new room would not be possible.That evening we came back to the room and the toenails were still there. My husb again went to the front desk and came back w/the manager who acted like we were making a big deal out of nothing. He picked up the toenails w/his BARE hands and threw them in the garbage can. We were so grossed out, but knew we would have difficulty getting a room elsewhere so we were kind of stuck. The manager didn't think there was a problem w/any of this. At checkout we voiced our disgust again. When we got home we contacted the HoJO hq and were told that since this is an independently owned motel they have little to do with it. So much for the HoJo name!!After many disappointing phone calls w/apathetic cust srv reps, we haven't really gotten a response except that we are making a big deal out of nothing. I think if this place bears the Howard Johnson name, it should have a higher standard for cleanliness than it does. Is this how the HoJo company wants to be represented? This place would be a nightmare for someone with allergies/asthma. This has soured us on ever staying in any HoJo establishment ever!! Pay a little more elsewhere for a better room, we will!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank jnuge1
Reviewed 2 July 2007

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! We stayed here with my daughter's softball team for a tournament weekend. Upon check in we were greeted by the two rudist people I have ever met. The room was large and that is the best thing I can say about it. It smelled so disgusting that we had to open the windows just to be able to breathe. The bathroom was filthy my daughters white socks were black within 15 minutes of walking on the floors. The bathroom was beyond dirty and I killed at least 10 bugs in the bathtub. We checked in late and had no remote for the television, the phone did not work and the toilet wouldn't flush. When I called the front desk (from my cell phone) I was told to walk down to the front desk and they would give me a remote but because it was in such a bad area I was afraid to walk down the dark hill through a wooded area to get the remote. Finally after much arguing they sent someone to the room to fix the toilet and he brought the remote with him. The person they sent to fix the toilet was maybe 14 years old and didn't know which end of the plunger to use to fix it. After an hour of waiting we were told to switch rooms. The second room smelled even worse. This hotel is full of mold!!!! Because we had a group rate we had no choice but to stay here.

The next evening I ventured down to the "main lobby in search of some milk and walked into the "restaurant" located in the bar. There were at least 25 men in the bar and a bunch just hanging around outside. Do not stay here with a family the atmosphere is scary and two individuals started to follow me when I was leaving to go back to my room. I had to go back into the hotel and find an alternate exit that was safer so I could get back to my room safely.

Oh by the way the pool has a bulldozer parked in front of it and is partially dug up so therefore unable to be used. The hotel neglected to mention this when we booked 2 weeks ago and were told that they had a pool.

If you thought that Howard Johnsons was a name you can trust for a simple clean place to stay, think again. I wll never again trust that a Howard Johnsons is a decent hotel. We were not looking for a 4 star hotel but I would say you couldn't even give this hotel 1 star.

Oh by the way if you do decide to stay here don't expect that the maid service will clean or make the beds apparently this is not in their job description. At least 6 of my daughters team mates rooms were not even touched by the cleaning staff for 3 days.

I hope this saves someone from making same mistake we made!!

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank winnie6611
Reviewed 17 August 2006

I just wanted to let everyone know how bad my experience was ar the Howard Johnson in Carlisle, Pa. I will never again stay at a Howard Johnson Hotel. First, When we checked in, the desk person could not tear herself away from the TV. I think she might have said sign here. Then when we got to our room, it was suppose to be smoking, but there were no ashtrays. Then there was no toilet paper in the room. The pillows were terrible. Then when we returned to stay the second night the door key had been deactivated. When we checked out, again a different man was at the desk did not say anything. I did return the survey for what good it did. I would not have stayed the second night but I booked online and had already paid, and didn't want to go through the trouble of credit. The price was cheap but, I don't think I even got my money's worth. I would have paid a little more for much better service.

1  Thank KYDK
Reviewed 10 August 2004

This is a good hotel for a family to stay. We stayed here while visiting Hershey Park and Gettysburg. It was convenient to stay here as it is near to the activities but was a lot cheaper than staying in Hershey Park. The hotel was older but was very clean. This was a good choice for families with younger children. (who tend to be a little louder and more active). The pool was very clean also. My only complaint with the hotel was that the doors did not close completely unless you made an effort to pull them closed. You could walk down the hall and push open the doors of other guests who failed to realize this. And housekeeping also failed to pull the doors shut. But we made a point to double check our locked doors and had no problems. Also, book directly through the Ho Jo website for better deals.

5  Thank Kenton80