“Delicious food in a lovely old building”
Review of Scalles

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Scalles
Ranked #28 of 167 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have now eaten at Scales several times and the food has been wonderful every time. Some of my friends consider it their favorite restaurant in all of Carlisle. The smoked salmon with cream cheese reminded me of trips to the Netherlands. I immediately tried to imitate the recipe for artichoke/spinach cream soup. There are lots of interesting food choices.
The building is beautifully restored. I was glad this restaurant preserved a piece of history for all of us.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

This is an old school grill with waitresses who have worked here for years, but everyone is freindly and helpful. A favorite with locals, I've only had the Reuben and it was all a Reuben is supposed to be; grilled till crackly on the outside on excellent rye bread, seasoned sauerkraut, great Russian dressing, Swiss and corned beef. The whole thing is a melange of pure delight. remember this is a diner/grill, so it's not fancy, but the food is old school, down home and delish.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stopped here on our way to a family event in Carlisle. The sandwiches and soups are tasty and the prices can't be beat. Good service too. It was a welcome respite from tired national chains and nasty fast food.

The former train depot retains it rustic charm, and is decorated w/plenty of vintage photos.

Will definitely stop again next time we are visiting Carlisle.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I have been eating dinner at Scalles for years whenever I come into Carlisle for pleasure and want a fast decent meal along with a great beer. The menu offers a LOT of choices, the wait staff has always been pleasant & efficient and the beer selection is FANTASTIC with a few varieties available by the pitcher.

Floyd LOVES pitchers of beer!!

DUI AVOIDANCE ALERT - This excellent beer selection is also available for take-out so you can try some great craft brews in the safety & comfort of your home or hotel.

Scalles is a family restaurant so the atmosphere is wide open seating with little seclusion so don’t take your sweetie there for a romantic Valentine’s dinner. Think of Scalles as having the ambiance of a big pizza parlor with a menu that would make a Jersey diner proud. If you want a little education to go along with your fries, make sure to check out the historical photos adorning the walls for a cool look back into Carlisle’s past.

The food is simple but very good; I have never had a bad meal. Expect to see many favorites on the menu like burgers, sandwiches & subs along with platters that should please most folks. The grilled chicken sandwich is one of my favorites and the wings are pretty good too! One word of warning to the appetite challenged, a SMALL steak or meatball sub is the size most humans would consider normal. A large sub is TWICE the size!!

Which brings me to the service; Scalles has redefined the term “fast food”. Menu items are always piping hot because the wait from order to being served is blisteringly FAST! Make sure to take care of any urgent business in the bathroom BEFORE you order ‘cause most likely your food will be sitting there getting cold before you get back. I have actually watched people in the drive through at Mickey-D’s across the street waiting longer for their Happy Meals then I waited for my “make me happy” meal at Scalles.

I figure all of these dinners over the years have saved me about 3 years of my life which leaves me plenty of time to write these great reviews!!

I guess that’s why I keep going back whenever I am in town...

...I may be getting YOUNGER!

Reviewed 22 October 2011

My husband and I along with friends were staying at Pheasant Field B and B in Carlisle and the innkeepers suggested Scalles as an option for a quick dinner. My husband and I went the evening that we arrived in Carlisle. I ordered the soup of the day which was awesome (seafood chowder) and a hamburger. My husband ordered a roast beef club. We each enjoyed our meal. Especially entertaining was out waitress who was upbeat and made us feel very welcomed. I had rice pudding topped with a mound of whipped cream for dessert and again, it was a delight. A few days later, when our friends came into town, we want back for a second visit. Again we were all pleased - I don't remember our entrees but I do remember the wonderful desserts - the peanut butter pie was out of this world and so was the apple crumb pie with ice cream ; they asked if you wanted the pie warm. We had the same waitress and again, she was quite friendly and entertaining. We went back one more time in the same week just for the dessert! The place is not fancy but you would feel comfortable going in jeans or dressed up . I noticed in one of the other reviews that the waitress walked away when asked for the check. The amount of the check is added at the cash register and not by the waitress. You can stop in for a just a sandwich or a full entree. Soups are homemade and delicious. Our service was good and prompt.

Been to Scalles? Share your experiences!