“Feeling a little sick today”
Review of Scalles

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Scalles
Ranked #38 of 169 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My parents had a good meal there a few years ago so we thought this would be good choice for a quick dinner. The menu was typical Central PA with some Italian and Tex-Mex items which seemed appropriate. Our server was coarse and told us we should have read the specials in the lobby when we came in. We weren't expecting fine dining so we sloughed it off. We ordered simple food, a classic reuben, a reuben with 'slaw instead of 'kraut, a grilled turkey sandwich and tomato soup, and chicken parmesan along with ordinary sides, a salad, corn fritters, and french fries. The soup came and it was obviously curdled. This tomato soup just smelled bad. One taste proved our suspicion that it had spoiled. Our server cleared it without apology, explanation or acknowledgement of the problem. The french fries were then served. They were greasy luke warm and raw. The fritters were prefabricated but were deepfried correctly. Then our meals came...
The classic reuben was ok. The reuben with slaw was a mayo and shredded cabbage sandwich. I honestly don't think there was any meat put on this sandwich. It was just disgusting. The grilled turkey sandwich was a thin hockey puck of probably microwaved turkey on a stale roll and some condiments. The chicken parmesan was a similar microwaved hard piece of chicken on cardboard flavored spaghetti with a weird meat sauce. We didn't eat our food. I asked for the check assuming the server would notice that nothing but the reuben was eaten. I paid 58 bucks for this slop because I didn't want to embarrass my elderly father for recommending this place. I have felt ill all day today from eating undercooked fries and a cabbage sandwich. I love independent restaurants and respect them balancing budget and quality but this was the worst food I have been served in years.

1  Thank John R

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Great food that not's to overpriced. If you go there for lunch, arrive before noon as the tables fill up quickly, especially on Fridays.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

On Monday, May 6, 2013 at 8pm, four friends and I had a quick casual dinner at The Scalles Restaurant, after golf at Mayapple Golf Club. I had a good Reuben with a pickle and potato chips ($6.85) and a medium chocolate milk ($1.85). We shared good onion rings ($2.85). My friends enjoyed their salads. The waitress was friendly and remembered my friends' drink orders from last year's golf season. On other occasions, my young granddaughters liked the food at Scalles. I often take-out a sandwich and baked potato from Scalles (717 245-0099 phone).

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We really don't go to Scales anymore. I forgot to write about our last experience. We used to go about twice a month as the food was good. The service was always not so good, but the food made up for it. As time went on, the food quality fell off as the prices kept climbing. Food prices everywhere have gone up, but Scales started becoming a not good value for the dollar. As you will read in many of my reviews, there are many great places to eat in the Carlisle- Harrisburg, PA corridor. Scales has fallen behind in their quality/value. We now spend our restaurant dollars elsewhere

Reviewed 23 January 2013

really enjoyed the grilled chicken parm! loved having the option to grill or deep-fry the chicken. the service was fast, and the waitress swayed my decision to try the peanut butter pie - it was worth every calorie i saved by haing the grilled chicken!