“A Wonderful Hidden Jewel”
Review of Rustic Tavern

Rustic Tavern
Ranked #7 of 167 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014

While in Carlisle I had the opportunity to have several meals at the Rustic Tavern. They have a varied menu and the food is awesome. I highly recommend this restaurant. The hotel staff recommended the restaurant and so glad I took their advice.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Our family went for Monday night crab night. And what a delicious choice! Everthing was great! Definitly have plans going back! The only thing that we saw could be improved, was to update the restrooms.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

You know you are in trouble when you go into a restaurant and the wait staff tells you to take your place mat, silverware, and water to another table. They should have done this for you. I always hate it when the staff is sweeping the floor around you when you are eating (mind you this was at 6PM at night, not at the close). The service was mediocre at best. My husband went to put salt on his salad and the entire shaker of salt went all over his food. The portions were very large and just ok. I prefer smaller portions well prepared. Would not go here again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My husband swears this place is usually good, but I had a completely negative experience. First off, the place was freezing. Like 60 degrees freezing. There's no reason for that. My husband says this is normal. We had quite a wait for our food as well. 20-25 minutes over lunch time.

I got fish tacos and added on "French fries." First off, they were steak fries. They tasted fine (the best part) but that's not what I was expecting.

The tacos were just bad. Tasted of nothing but old lettuce. I tried eating just the fish, and it was very overcooked. I had to use my husband's tartar sauce- I wasn't given any- and that helped some. When I ordered I specifically asked for no onions on the tacos. There were onions on my tacos.

The service wasn't great, but there was only one waitress for 6-7 tables. Poor restaurant planning.

This was probably the worst dining experience I've had in Carlisle. I have no interest in going back.

1  Thank Virginia C
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is not an exotic or trendy restaurant, but has a large menu of well-prepared food in the 'central PA' style. The Greek owners also offer saginaki, Greek salad dressing etc. There is a bar as well (which we didn't visit). Food was really excellent. The only downside was the long wait for dinner on a Saturday about 8:40 pm. The restaurant is dark, clean and in the style of an older rustic building. I don't know if reservations are taken, if so, might be a good idea.