“Great Bed and Breakfast”

Earlystown Manor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Centre Hall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2012

The Earlystown Manor Bed and Breakfast is a great bed and breakfast just outside of State College, Pa. It is a large modern house in a lovely setting. There are a number of spacious rooms with all of the amenities. The food at breakfast is awesome and no one will leave the table hungry. With it's proximity to Penn State University, we have enjoyed at least 5 weekends at Earlystown over the past 2 years and already have reservations for our next weekend there this fall. If traveling near State College/Penn State we highly recommend Earlystown Manor Bed and Breakfast. Zane and Anne always do whatever is necessary to ensure a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband and I just spent two nights at the Earlystown Manor because of graduation weekend. Don't stay here. Let me count the reasons....We stayed in the Skylight Room, two flights up. There was a bathroom right outside our room, but that bathroom was for another room. Our bathroom was two flights down and past the kitchen. REALLY! Oh, but Anne said I should maybe negotiate with our neighbors about possibly using their bathroom. Give me a break. Plus our bathroom had absolutely no water pressure or almost no water. My almost bald husband had a hard time washing his hair, let alone me with hair down to my waist! Our bedroom had dead flies under the comforter. The two pillows were different sizes and I couldn't bring myself to look inside the pillow case to see what condition the actual pillow was in. Forget any B&B extras like cookies or cheese and some sort of afternoon snack. And the cost for all this wonderful hospitality for two nights was $600.00. If this was my first B&B experience, I would be ruined for life. Bad bed, big bugs, bad bathroom, bad breakfast, big bill. Stay in a tent! DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kpcapri
Reviewed 22 July 2011

After reading the comments about Earlystown Manor, I was looking forward to a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, it turned out to be anything but.

My partner and I found the rooms to be musty and depressing. The TV selections were quite limited. There was a big problem in the bathroom with the shower head, which did not provide enough pressure because all the holes were clogged.

We went for breakfast at 8:30 and were told by Zane and Ann that coffee would not be served for another hour! That forced us to go to Dunkin' Donuts to get coffee. If we had known what was in store for us for breakfast, we would have stayed at Dunkin' Donuts.

I cannot really describe the breakfast entree', but it was covered by a revolting peach sauce. Peach is at the top of the list for allergic reaction. Common sense would tell suggest that you would not serve that as a topping without checking with your guests. Just another inconsiderate gesture by the hosts. Another was Zane's cross-examination of my daughter at the breakfast table, for as long as we could stand it.

What really galled us was the ridiculous price we were charged for what was a very unsatisfying weekend. We thought about leaving early, but were afraid that Zane would call the highway patrol. It would have a been a fitting end to an adventure that left a bad taste in all our mouths.

7  Thank Trrustedteacher
Reviewed 3 July 2011

My husband and I and three good friends were fortunate enough to stay at the Earlystown Manor Bed and Breakfast during the 4th of July weekend. We unanimously agreed that our visit could not have been more pleasant. Anne and Zane are gracious and warm and wonderfully hospitable. Our conversations with them were interesting and delightful. The grounds surrounding the B & B are meticulously maintained, and Zane and Anne's love of flowers is clearly evident. I counted 125 beautiful pots of flowers lovingly arranged and tended! Breakfast included a delicious strata made with vegetables from Zane's garden, homemade bread, potatoes Au gratin, raspberries, also from the garden, and more. We enjoyed the peaceful countryside and the scenic views and highly recommend the Earlystown Manor!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lzaccone
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Earlystown Manor Bed and Breakfast is conveniently located within 10 miles of Penn State, which makes it a very attractive place to stay when visiting a student, attending an event or going to a game/graduation on campus. It also has great reviews online from former guests who had several positive comments. We thought our experience at Earlystown Manor Bed and Breakfast would make us feel as comfortable as we are at home. Not even close...

Driving up to the B&B, you are under the impression that the property is clean and charming. Once inside, however, you realize that Zane and Ann have a lot of renovations to make to their rooms. They greeted us upon our entry and asked us to sign in. As we were given the grand tour, we realized not only was our room hot and without air conditioning, it seemed as if no one had been in it for months. Dust, spiderwebs and insects were very much a part of our two night stay.

In addition to the uncomfortable accommodations where you can hear the guests in the room next door, our bathroom was located DOWNSTAIRS. We were forced to walk past the kitchen where breakfast was being prepared in the morning, which had not been the arrangements we had made over the phone with Zane. The breakfast consisted of dry, burnt food prepared early that morning because we could hear the hosts and their staff in the kitchen around 6:00 AM. We don't know what they were working so hard at because the food was nearly inedible.

We were very disappointed in this property and do not plan to ever go back again, especially since our room a bathroom downstairs cost over $600 per night.

6  Thank TravelGirl551
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I hate to be the lone dissenter but cannot believe the manner of bouquets thrown at this place by the other travelers.

Zane and Ann are nice enough, but why not? I would be nice too if I charged $625 per night to stay at this bland, run down establishment Maybe it is the bees' knees in Earlystown (we did, in fact, have a bee in our room), but compared to some B & B's I have stayed in in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, Earlystown manor comes in well short of the mark. I guess everything in life is relative.

My group stayed in a guest house with a rickey balcony and very austere decor...passable but certainly nothing to write home about. My niece and her husband stayed upstairs in a room in the main house which, unbelievably, did not even have an adjoining bathroom. They had to go downstairs to the first floor to use the facilities, passing other guests on the way down, representing a major inconvenience. Their room also came complete with spiders and their webs as well as an ant in their bed.

The breakfast was supposed to be French toast. Unfortunatley, It was neither French nor toast, but some unknown concoction reminiscent of the fare served in the 1973 movie "Soylent Green", for those of you who are movie buffs. Needless to say, no one wanted seconds. In addition to the hosts, there were two waitresses that served us, an unnecessary extravvagance that should have gone to hiring a cook instead.

While the hosts were genial, I do believe the quality of the accomodations were misrepresented to us by telephone, particularly with regard to the location of the bathroom as it related to my niece's accomodations. I also noticed that the prices posted on their website were not what we were charged. If you are going to advertise on the internet, at least update your website appropriately without the explanation that "oh, the prices have gone up."

The best I can say about this place is that it satisfies the old saw about "any old port in a storm".......though I think I could have done it better, and certainly cheaper, most anywhere else.

7  Thank PrinceZak2
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I highly recommend the Earlystown Manor Bed and Breakfast to anyone looking for a place to stay near State College, Pa., and/or Penn State University. Zane and Anne make you feel right at home and offer very clean lodgings in a georgous house and very pretty setting. They also provide great breakfasts and treat their guests like family. We have stayed there 3 times already and will be back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
#12 of 26 in State College
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#2 of 2 in Mifflintown
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area)

Been to Earlystown Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!