“Relaxing, European Atmosphere!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chadds Ford
Akron, Ohio
“Relaxing, European Atmosphere!”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I recently stayed at the Brandywine River Hotel and was pleasantly surprised of this tucked away treasure. Behind the art gallery, there is a brick building on the outside with old world charm on the inside. Staff were very friendly and courteous. It is a very well kept property, with the comforts of your own home. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a relaxing environment with a european flair.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mailee T
daysspringfield, General Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Mailee,

Thank you for taking time to review our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having the pleasure of serving you in future.

Raj Patel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We used to stay here all the time but about 18 months ago a rude clerk at checkin discouraged us for future visits . Last week we decided to try again. We thought we were calling the Hotel directly but it turns out we were talking to Hotels.com. We signed up for 2 nights.
the morning of our scheduled first night, we were offered a room with a friend. We called the hotel directly and cancelled our visit, understanding that because we had not cancelled by 4:00pm the previous day, we would have to pay for that night. When we got the credit card bill, we had been charged for 2 nights! I called the Hotel to rectify the mistake and they said Hotels.com had to correct the error. Hotels.com said the BRHotel had to correct it. Another phone call to BRH left me frustrated and angry. We'll avoid Hotels.com and Brandywine River Hotel in the future!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ruth,

I am sorry to read about the issues you had with the cancellation of your reservation. I know it is frustrating but when a guest books with a third party site such as Hotels.com etc, the guest is paying that website not the hotel, and they alone hold the ability to refund your payment.

It is always difficult to hear when someone is being pushed back and forth between companies but Hotels.com are the ones who are providing misinformation, but I do apologize either way. Also, a lot of times when people locate a phone number off of a search engine generally the first few links are not the hotel itself. Usually the safest bet is to locate a phone number that includes the local area code.

I hope this information is helpful to you in getting the situation you experienced fixed. Again, I am sorry for the issues you had with Hotels.com and I am sorry we weren't able to do more for you.

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two days while on business. Room was very quiet, although I could hear the periodic use of the ice machine as it disgorged a supply of ice in someone's ice bucket. Since there is no room service, I would expect some amenities in the room to aid the traveler: microwave, coffee maker, frig, room safe. All or some would make the room more useful. I was also annoyed by the lack of receptacles for using a laptop or charging up batteries at the end of the day. Want to use the receptacle near the bed? Unplug the lamp or the Ethernet port. Want to use a laptop on the table? Unplug another lamp or the clock radio. Come on BRH, get into the technology age.

I had called their front desk before my trip to find out about their Internet capabilities. The individual explained some of their shortcomings with WiFi. I stated that maybe I should bring an Ethernet cable just in case. The clerk agreed by saying " yeah, you bring that bad boy!". Interesting way to speak to customers, heh?

My stay included both Friday and Saturday morning. I arrived Friday a.m. at 630am for their continental breakfast. Choices were limited, but I was satisfied with oatmeal, juice, and English muffin. I arrived again Sat. morning at the same time, and learned that breakfast is not served until 8am on weekends. Really? This is a poor accomodation for both business people and travelers ready to hit the road early. BRH, this should be changed!

I expect to be back in the area again in 6 months, but I will seek an alternative hotel. Too bad, because I like the Chadds Ford area. Very pretty.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Vince,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review your stay. During your stay we were in the process of fixing the wireless system and it is now up and running as it should be. It was not working up to the standards our guests nor we expect, but we do want to let you know it has been upgraded and it is running smoothly.

In regards to the agent you spoke with on the phone about the Ethernet cable, needless to say it is unacceptable. The hotel is under new ownership and there has been some necessary staffing changes. Please know we are committed to excellent customer service and I am sorry you didn't receive it on that call.

I want you to know we have heard your suggestions and do apologize for any of your dissatisfaction. We are working to ensure that our property is not only comfortable and inviting, but also amenities for the growing needs of our business travelers. Again, I thank you for your feedback. We hope you give us a second chance to serve you.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed at the Brandy Wine River Hotel whilst visiting Longwood Gardens. The hotel was quiet quaint and comfortable, along side this is was a nice environment with an additional feature of being able to go downstairs to have tea and biscuits at 4pm; It was greeted as a pleasant change to other generalized hotels.The front desk was very helpful regarding information on transport,directions and tourist features in and around the Chadds Ford area. I am very satisfied with the hotel and its services provided to me, I would be more than happy to use this hotel again! All this came together to a great weekend away!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I know that there is new ownership. But, when you ask for a guest comment card at departure and you are told "we don't do that anymore", it explaines what happened to a place we really enjoyed before. No Wi-Fi in our room, jets did not work in the Jacuzzi, What happened to the breakfast? Bigelow tea, but none of them are black, green, or oolong only flavored. One juice and it is not orange. Not even real Cheerios- but no bananas anyway. The cottage cheese is gone. Packaged everything. We were welcomed back at check in and the 11pm to 7am gentleman was also great. He let us have coffee and tea at 6am and it was very good. Wife brought tea bags. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We might need to look for a new place. The location has been perfect for us- but this time we were disappointed.

Room Tip: King suites are large, quiet, and comfortable. Especially in fall and winter as they have a firepla...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This place really needs work!

Fresh paint, new carpeting and fix the plumbing. Just for the start..

Send your front desk to take a few customer service courses...Stop turning the ice machines off at night.

Stop calling your breakfast offering a European plus breakfast.

Lastly this is not even close to a European style hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank VoyageursNJ
Newark, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My room was tiny and becoming rundown. The jacuzzi jets were inoperable which really didn't matter as the jacuzzi would not hold water. The "Breakfast" was practically non-existent. The staff was extremely arrogant and rude, especially the manager! I have never had a worse experience anywhere! Never going back, and warning all my friends and family to avoid this place.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
BEST WESTERN Plus Concordville Hotel
Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford

Been to Brandywine River Hotel? Share your experiences!