“A cozy getaway”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chadds Ford
Alexandria, Virginia
“A cozy getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I hesitated to book at the Brandywine River Hotel because of some negative reviews. However, I liked the way the manager responded to the complaints, and I took his comment about new ownership to heart. Plus, the price was right and they had a vacancy. I am certainly glad I decided to give them a chance. We found the room clean and comfortable. I jury-rigged a cooler into a temporary refrigerator, but learned after I arrived that one could be rented for $10 a night. Perhaps in the future they can be included in the room costs. We used the business center computer to check some addresses. Front desk personnel were always helpful and courteous.

The breakfast must have been improved as we were delighted with the options: hot and cold cereal, juice, various muffins and breads (including a wonderful apple bread), hard-boiled eggs and a do-it yourself waffle-iron. The cookies at teatime were fresh-baked and delicious.

All in all, I would definitely return, and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: It's quiet on the back, with a beautiful view.
2 Thank GloucesterGirl_10
daysspringfield, General Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking time out of your day to review our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope to be able to serve you again in the future. Your kind words reminds our staff and myself, the best part of working in hotels. It is nice to be a part of someones vacation, and to hopefully, leave them with a good memory and a desire to visit us again.

Sincerest Regards and Thanks,

General Manager Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Monclair
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

If you are headed to Longwood Gardens, this hotel is conveniently located. Staff were friendly and helped us move to a different room because the A/C wasn't working in our original room. They offered an AARP discount that I didn't see when I booked the room. One thing, if you are a coffee drinker, you'll need to request a coffee maker for the room -- it isn't standard. The location is tucked away so it is nice and quiet -- but that means limited dining near by.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the staff was able to move your room, though I do apologize for that inconvenience. I am glad to hear that staff was helpful and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for giving us your suggestions and your feedback on our hotel, it helps us continue to have the most accurate and comprehensive idea of what our guests like and what they think we can do to improve. Please come back and see us in the future!

Hampton, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I arrived in time to enjoy tea and cookies in the lovely dining room. This Hotel is located across the street from the Brandywine River Museum that is home to beautiful art works by NC Weyth, Andrew Weyth and other American artists. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Our room on the second floor was comfortable and clean.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for you time and reviewing our hotel. I am glad you made it in time for tea and cookies! It is one of the things we do to try to ensure that our guests know we care and want them to feel cozy and at home with us. I agree with you that there is a fantastic range of art available to see in the area, and in particular Andrew Wyeth and his work remains a treasure to Chadds Ford.

We hope we get the chance to serve you again in the future, and we thank you again for your time and feedback!

Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Staff was friendly, food was great, and room was exceptionally nice. They are keeping this hotel in good condition, and are serving a nice, tasty, and included breakfast. The had an excellent ice tea and cookies in the afternoon.

2 Thank leon l
Dear Leon I,

Thank you for your review and your kind words about our hotel. We are working very hard to ensure that all of our guests have an experience that is enjoyable and most importantly that they feel welcome and taken care of by our staff and services. Thank you again and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Sincerest Regards,

Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I recently stayed at the Brandywine River Hotel and was pleasantly surprised of this tucked away treasure. Behind the art gallery, there is a brick building on the outside with old world charm on the inside. Staff were very friendly and courteous. It is a very well kept property, with the comforts of your own home. I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a relaxing environment with a european flair.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mailee T
daysspringfield, General Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Mailee,

Thank you for taking time to review our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having the pleasure of serving you in future.

Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We used to stay here all the time but about 18 months ago a rude clerk at checkin discouraged us for future visits . Last week we decided to try again. We thought we were calling the Hotel directly but it turns out we were talking to Hotels.com. We signed up for 2 nights.
the morning of our scheduled first night, we were offered a room with a friend. We called the hotel directly and cancelled our visit, understanding that because we had not cancelled by 4:00pm the previous day, we would have to pay for that night. When we got the credit card bill, we had been charged for 2 nights! I called the Hotel to rectify the mistake and they said Hotels.com had to correct the error. Hotels.com said the BRHotel had to correct it. Another phone call to BRH left me frustrated and angry. We'll avoid Hotels.com and Brandywine River Hotel in the future!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Ruth,

I am sorry to read about the issues you had with the cancellation of your reservation. I know it is frustrating but when a guest books with a third party site such as Hotels.com etc, the guest is paying that website not the hotel, and they alone hold the ability to refund your payment.

It is always difficult to hear when someone is being pushed back and forth between companies but Hotels.com are the ones who are providing misinformation, but I do apologize either way. Also, a lot of times when people locate a phone number off of a search engine generally the first few links are not the hotel itself. Usually the safest bet is to locate a phone number that includes the local area code.

I hope this information is helpful to you in getting the situation you experienced fixed. Again, I am sorry for the issues you had with Hotels.com and I am sorry we weren't able to do more for you.

Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two days while on business. Room was very quiet, although I could hear the periodic use of the ice machine as it disgorged a supply of ice in someone's ice bucket. Since there is no room service, I would expect some amenities in the room to aid the traveler: microwave, coffee maker, frig, room safe. All or some would make the room more useful. I was also annoyed by the lack of receptacles for using a laptop or charging up batteries at the end of the day. Want to use the receptacle near the bed? Unplug the lamp or the Ethernet port. Want to use a laptop on the table? Unplug another lamp or the clock radio. Come on BRH, get into the technology age.

I had called their front desk before my trip to find out about their Internet capabilities. The individual explained some of their shortcomings with WiFi. I stated that maybe I should bring an Ethernet cable just in case. The clerk agreed by saying " yeah, you bring that bad boy!". Interesting way to speak to customers, heh?

My stay included both Friday and Saturday morning. I arrived Friday a.m. at 630am for their continental breakfast. Choices were limited, but I was satisfied with oatmeal, juice, and English muffin. I arrived again Sat. morning at the same time, and learned that breakfast is not served until 8am on weekends. Really? This is a poor accomodation for both business people and travelers ready to hit the road early. BRH, this should be changed!

I expect to be back in the area again in 6 months, but I will seek an alternative hotel. Too bad, because I like the Chadds Ford area. Very pretty.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Vince,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review your stay. During your stay we were in the process of fixing the wireless system and it is now up and running as it should be. It was not working up to the standards our guests nor we expect, but we do want to let you know it has been upgraded and it is running smoothly.

In regards to the agent you spoke with on the phone about the Ethernet cable, needless to say it is unacceptable. The hotel is under new ownership and there has been some necessary staffing changes. Please know we are committed to excellent customer service and I am sorry you didn't receive it on that call.

I want you to know we have heard your suggestions and do apologize for any of your dissatisfaction. We are working to ensure that our property is not only comfortable and inviting, but also amenities for the growing needs of our business travelers. Again, I thank you for your feedback. We hope you give us a second chance to serve you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chadds Ford
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington
BEST WESTERN Plus Concordville Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford

Been to Brandywine River Hotel? Share your experiences!