“A Nice little gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chadds Ford
Brick, New Jersey
“A Nice little gem”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here in April of 2013. Despite it being off a main road, you feel like you're out in an English village once inside. The place is quaint and cute with a European feel to it.

The lobby was well cared for, the service was very good, and the room we were in was more than ample. A small breakfast was had in in the morning in a very pretty dining area just off the lobby. It's your standard complimentary items such as; toast, bagels, cereals and coffee or tea.

There is no food service in this hotel other than the morning offerings and an afternoon tea, but there's a very good steak house virtually 40 - 50 feet away. There are numerous other dining options in the immediate area as well.

It appears this hotel gets a mixed review from what I am seeing, but I think it's a case of if you're looking for a Sheraton or some majorly big hotel, this isn't for you. However, if you just want something nice, perhaps more like a bed and breakfast, then this nice little gem will do just fine.

One final note, there are a number of attractions not far away - especially recommended is Longwood Gardens.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joe G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I booked a premium suite about 6 weeks in advance. Due to overbooking I was downgraded from a premium suite room to a standard room for a Saturday night stay. Unfortunately, I was not made aware about this change in advance of my stay. In fact I did not know about this change until I opened the door to the room around 7:30pm that night after checking in. I was further disappointed that the young lady who checked me in, did not take the time to tell me about the change and ran my credit card through for the premium suite price letting me believe that there was no issue. It was a huge let down to have to find out I was downgraded by opening a door to the room. If I was notified before that moment or more appropriately, before I traveled to the hotel, I could have rescheduled for another weekend. There was not a manager on duty on a Saturday evening, so I could not bring this issue up to management. I ended up staying at the Embassy Suites in Newark, Delaware. This hotel was cheaper, nicer, and did not smell like a retirement home like the Brandywine River Hotel. It had a mildew musky scent from the moment I walked in. I could tell by the décor that The Brandywine River Hotel was extremely in need of renovations. Example, it is one of the few hotels I know of that still has 4:3 Tube TVs and not flat screens.

I followed up on Monday, with a phone call and no manager was on duty. Apparently, the owner of the hotel, comes in for a few hours each day to check on things, but he was not available at the time I called. I sent an email because I was told he checks it often about the situation and I received no response. I called back again Monday and he had just left. The woman on the phone I spoke to said she told him I called and explained the situation to him, yet he still choose to ignore me. Clearly, the owner does not value the customers. I would not recommend this place to anyone. From other people I’ve spoken to about the place is it has gotten worse and worse over the last couple years. Save yourself a few bucks and have a much better stay elsewhere. And for those of you going forward to stay here, GOOD LUCK!

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve R
daysspringfield, Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Steve R.,

I am truly sorry to hear about the issue you had with the reservation. I am aware of the confusion and was waiting to hear back from our reservation support team before calling so I could give you a comprehensive answer to your concerns.

When we spoke the other day I did explain that there was zero charges for your room and the issue was that the reservation was not in our system. This made it impossible for us to know ahead of time that there was an issue. The front desk agent explained that we didn't have the reservation and checked you into the room we had available at the lower cost. I understand that you were unhappy and left, which we understand.

The hotel and our systems are being upgraded. It appears that during the change over with the reservation software, your reservation did not make it into our new system. I apologize for this but we did our best in the situation to try to provide you with the closest possible comparable accommodations. The hotel is being renovated and improved both technology wise and, as well as our aesthetic. We have already upgraded some of the rooms to include flat screens. We will continue to update and improve our hotel.

In this industry sometimes things go wrong, but I am a firm believer it is how you handle it that makes the difference. I apologize if my staff and I didn't do more to explain the issue or its resolution. Your feedback will allow us to make the improvements for the future. Thank you again.

Sincerest Regards,

Raj Patel
Plantation, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We've stayed here often while visiting family over the years, but on this last visit we noticed lots of things have gone downhill. The breakfast, while never abundant, had even fewer choices. The carpeting in the elevator was really dirty. While we enjoyed the fireplace in our room, the room was showing signs of age. Peeling wallpaper, very lumpy pillows, cracks in the floor of the tub. The ice maker on our floor (second) wasn't working. Also, the 'business center' no longer has a printer. On the upside, the free wifi worked really well. It's a shame that the hotel isn't being kept up, because we'd rather stay in a charming independent place than an anonymous chain.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
greenville
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Beautiful & quiet setting in an historic district but has lost it's welcoming charm and raised rates. Front desk staff, around the clock, would benefit from hospitality training. Continental breakfast is adequate, but recommend walking to Hank's Place for a great locals breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mec534
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Ask for a fan early in your stay as the AC is challenged, and hallway noise evident. Pillows and bedding are so very average at best. Well located but very tired. Strangely, we were told that the credit card machine was down for a half day, but if we paid by cash, we could get a 15% discount "for the inconvenience." ???

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Just4grinz
New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The room was clean and quiet. Our room was a king suite and the fireplace was welcome on a cool night. Since we had stayed in the area a number of times in the past we knew where we were going but we observed the front desk staff helping several couples with dinner choices. The afternoon tea and cookies were enjoyable but the breakfast choices were sparser than they had been when we stayed here in the past.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FamReun2013
NJ
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I've stayed here a few times but it's never my first choice. The entry is dark and the front desk seems just a bit put out that you are interrupting them. Not rude but less than effusive in their welcoming. Then came a warning about being on the upper floors because of the heat outside was a bit of a red flag. So after deciding to stay on the first floor I discovered the AC in the first floor room struggled a bit anyway. The rooms are clean but are really starting to show their age. With wallpaper peeling a bit from the wall in the bathroom, one of the tub faucets leaking, and the mini fridge desperately needing a defrosting in its freezer, this hotel seems to be in need of some reinvestment in the property. I don't generally prefer the chains, but with brighter, more welcoming properties and definitely better mattresses, they are more appealing than this hotel. I think it probably was nice at some point in the past, but it definitely has not kept up with the times.

Room Tip: Make sure all the equipment is working properly. when you arrive.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Chester
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel

Been to Brandywine River Hotel? Share your experiences!