“Excellent choice”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chadds Ford
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent choice”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed at the Brandywine river Hotel for 2 nights. The staff were incredibly friendly, the room, while a bit outdated for decor, was very very comfortable (great sheets), and the location was central (next to a couple great local restaurants). I would recommend this hotel to people visiting the area.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank RossMolin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Chester Springs
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed there for 2 nights during snow storm, I was grateful to find a room anywhere. The Hotel is okay, it is not a Luxury hotel by any means. The room was okay I have no complaints. The breakfast is practically non-existent, they don't refill anything so there is not much to eat. The afternoon tea is some tea bags and chocolate chip cookies. If you are visiting Chadds Ford it is a good location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

The mixed reviews were challenging, but we thought we would try the hotel ourselves. We know two couples who had stayed here.

We were greeted with a warm welcome. However, when both arriving and leaving our moments were interrupted by other guests. This was not the hotel's fault.

Our room was average and located on the backside of the building. Had it been the "right" day we might have seen deer in the field outside our window.

Having a fireplace always adds to the ambience. However, the jacuzzi was nothing to write home about.

Our negotiated price was appropriate for the experience. There was a restaurant within easy walking distance. Would we visit again? Possibly if we wanted to eat at the restaurant and not drive home.

Our experience made for a good "get away" evening.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
daysspringfield, General Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Gary R.,

We wanted to thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad that you were pleased with your stay and would consider returning, and we hope you will!

Again, we thank you for your time in and for providing your feedback. We appreciate it!

Warmest Regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here because of a snow storm. They were the only hotel in the area and the closest to where our car was stuck in a 4 hour traffic jam. We were grateful to get a room and I planned to give them a great review. Then, we didn't have any water because a pipe froze. Then I learned there is only 1 vending machine with sodas, it was out of water. No way to purchase snacks. Supposedly there is tea and cookies from 4 - 6, not when I was there. The room service is done by a restaurant in front of the hotel that has great food but the prices are really high. The rooms are old and outdated. Bathroom was dirty, piles of hair in the tub. To top it off, I was supposedly given a 30% discount because of the lack of water. When I checked my Amex card, they charged me full price! I hope I NEVER have to go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: The only tip I have is that they do accept pets 20 lbs. or under so if you have a pet this is the pl...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle L
daysspringfield, General Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Michelle L,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry about the issues you had while you were with us. We were all subject to very difficult weather and we did our best to accommodate all of our guests. The pipe did freeze and we lament that fact but it was due to elements out of our control. This is also the reason we were not able to make the tea and cookies.

If you didn't receive the 30% discount please call the hotel so that we can double check the paperwork and amend any error if you haven't gotten it. Also, if there was housekeeping issues I would like to discuss them with you. We want to provide a good stay for all of our guests, and if the room wasn't cleaned properly that is something we want to be aware of so we can fix it.

Again I am very sorry for the issues you experienced. We are in the process of renovations and we are doing our best to complete them as soon as possible.

Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 December 2013

It has been about 10 years since I've been to the Brandywine River Hotel. Back then, it was really a wonderful hotel, but it has not kept up with the times. Except for the addition of a flat screen TV, nothing else has changed.

First, the room was dirty. The carpet looked grimy, and there were stains on the walls. The furniture was uncomfortable, and there was a lot of dust (they must think that guests overlook the heavy dust on the light bulbs, but we notice!). The old wallpaper in the bathroom is just awful. The bathrooms need a complete remodel.

I found the hotel to be quite noisy at night and I did not sleep well. You can hear every door slamming shut and people in the hallway on their cell phones. Even the refrigerator in the room was loud, and I had to unplug it just to sleep.

The worst part was the plumbing. On the day we visited, there was a problem with the plumbing throughout the hotel, and the toilet wouldn't flush. I had to manually fill the tank with water from the tub just to flush it!

On the positive side, the bed was comfortable and there was no problem with my reservation, which I made a few weeks in advance. The gas fireplace was very nice, as was the Jacuzzi tub. Breakfast was just okay with an assortment of muffins, pastries, cereal, juices, and a pancake maker. Yes, they still offer tea and cookies, but it does nothing to compensate for all the other issues this hotel has.

I was really hoping to give my old favorite a great rating, but unfortunately it's outdated and tired. It needs a lot of TLC to get it back to the way it was years ago. If and until that day comes, I won't be visiting again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank finewineNJ
daysspringfield, Manager at Brandywine River Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear FinewineNJ,

I am sorry to hear you weren't happy with your stay. The hotel is currently renovating so that we can update our property whilst maintaining the charm and elegance that our guest have come to expect, and deserve from us.

We know how important comfort and value is for all of our guests and we are working hard on the renovations, while trying to have as little impact on our guests whom are with us during this time. The issue with the plumbing was from necessary work by the Chester County Water Authority who was doing work in the area. We had no control but we do apologize.

We assure you we that we are quickly working to complete renovations and we hope that once complete, you will come visit us and give us another chance.

We thank you for your feedback and hope to see you again in the future!

Sincerest Regards,

Washington, Dc
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I visit the Brandywine Valley a few times a year and, in the past few seasons, have always stayed here: It is pleasant, convenient, comfortable -- and reasonably priced. It is a small, unobtrusive hostelry, more inn than hotel or motel, more English than American in personality, with a cozy, well-appointed lobby, attentive staff, clean, comfortable rooms, and a thoroughly satisfactory free breakfast in the small dining room. Although it is located directly on busy Route 1 (Baltimore Pike), it is set back some distance from the road in a quiet, bucolic setting. Perhaps my requirements are modest by comparison with some travelers, but I cannot think of a more pleasant and comfortable place to stay, and heartily recommend the Brandywine River Hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank PhilipTerzian
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel since it was across the street from the Brandywine Museum and we were attending a party there that night. We had an awesome time at our party but the hotel was a pretty great attraction as well, we had tea and cookies (very good and filling), then ordered Room Service from Brandywine Prime (again tons of food, it was a good price and HUGE servings, so be hungry if you come here, they feed you well), and we enjoyed the fireplaces and movies on the free HBO channels. The bathroom was nice and fairly large, and everything was very clean. The front desk staff was nice and asked to make sure we were happy with our room and went out of their way when we needed anything. We had lots of fun at our party and enjoyed more movies on the TV when we got back. The breakfast was nice, it's breads, hard boiled eggs, cereal, juices, make your own waffles, tea, and coffee. If you want bacon, eggs, potatoes, and all the really filling foods, then I think there are a few local places close by. We decided we'll stay again, we're Longwood Garden members, and want to check out Winterthur, the DE Art Museum, Sickman's Mill...all the cool stuff close by. Just to give you a better idea of why I give it such a good review - I'm a romantic inn type of person...so if you want a very modern type of Hilton hotel, it's not like that, it's much more a charming and a classical feeling kind of place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Fairfield Inn & Suites Kennett Square Brandywine Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel

Been to Brandywine River Hotel? Share your experiences!