“Not the Best”

Super 8 Chambersburg I-81
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Chambersburg
Reviewed 21 July 2008

We booked this hotel at the last minute for 10 rooms as we were attending a softball tournament. Now I know why they were the only hotel in the area with rooms available.

The lobby was very warm with no AC, which is same area you have your breakfast at.

The pool was nice but very warm in the enclosed area.

The exercise room was closed until further notice. Don't know why!

The room - Smelled like mildew. Was not just our room but every room of the 10 we booked. Some worse than others.

The shower curtain was black at the bottom and yellow stains on the ceiling.

Was scared to sleep in the bed since the condition of the rest of the room was not good.

Continental breakfast was a choice of cereal, fresh fruit or waffles. Did not eat so I cannot rate. The area where you eat was about 90 degrees because there was no AC.

There was one computer in the lobby area for your use and was very slow.

For $99 a night I expected a little more from this hotel and Comfort Inn.

I would not recommend this hotel until it is cleaned up more!

• Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank ooley

Reviewed 22 May 2008

Check-in was pleasant. The young lady at the desk, from No. Carolina, was sharp, funny, and friendly. It was late and she said there were only smoking rooms available. No problem. I asked to see the room, and when I checked #118, it seemed as if someone had taken a nap on the rumpled bedspread. She changed the key to Rm. 120. I took a casual look at the room, checked the bathroom for cleanliness, and we signed in.

I didn't turn on all the lights, just a lamp near the table, so I could set up my laptop. The hotel offered free Wi-fi, but when I tried to sign on there was only one network available, and it was "unsecured." Nervous, I called the desk, and was assured it would be okay for email.

I had no reason to turn on the light by the phone until I decided to leave a wakeup call. And when I turned on that light I saw the very phone that I had used earlier was so disgustingly filthy and encrusted in grime, that I never would have touched it had I seen it before.

Now I turned on all the lights and thought I'd be sick: Cobwebs hung from the ceiling and down the walls; the light switches and plate covers, hair dryer plug, hair dryer, and coffee maker were as filthy as the telephone. The top of a large covered panel on the wall near the entry door was covered with a quarter-inch of built-up dust, as were the bedside lamps. There were food wrappers behind the night table that separated the two double beds, and we didn't have to move the table to see this, since the table was several inches away from the wall. Both the "Do Not Disturb" sign and, ironically, the "100% Guest Satisfaction" card, which had been placed on the bedspread by the maid, were dirty and untouchable.

I walked down to the front desk to complain about all of this. The cheerful young woman had been replaced by an equally nice guy. He offered to change our room, but my husband was already undressed and in bed, and we had unpacked, so this was not an option. At my request, he came with me to the room, along with a replacement telephone, and he noted all the things I pointed out. He said he would take 20% off the bill, and that was all he was authorized, but he did hand me the General Manager's card and told me to call her, saying that he was sure she'd take care of the rest of the bill. The final indignity of the night was the hair on the pillowcase that I was about to put my head on.

Well, so much for "100% Guest Satisfaction". When I was finally able to contact the manager three days later and relayed all of the details, there was not a hint of an apology. She asked why we didn't get switched to another room. Then she asked me what I'd like her to do. I said I wanted the room comped. Her cold reply was that we had already been given a lower rate at check-in because of the hour, and then got a 20% discount. But she grudgingly stated that she'd take another 30% off the bill.

End of story. In my book, 50% off means "50% Customer Satisfaction." Stay at the Comfort Inn in Chambersburg, PA if you, too, want to be 50% Satisfied and 100% Disgusted.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sukki007
Reviewed 19 May 2008

After several disastrous Comfort Inns in a row, this one was quite a pleasant surprise: spacious and nicely appointed spotless rooms, gracious personnel, and invitingly pet-friendly. The free breakfast was adequate. I'd certainly stay here again. It provided a pleasant and refreshing haven after a day of driving. At exit 20 of I-81. No restaurants at that exit but half-decent ones at exits 16 and 17, which are 4 minutes away.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dsl93
Reviewed 13 April 2008

Very satisfied - good value for price. 1 night stay - checked in after 9PM. Front desk very accommodating. Large clean elevator made access to 2nd floor easy. Quiet Rooms - well spaced, ample room size. Very clean - bedding, bathroom. Continental breakfast - quite acceptable.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fred-n-Wilma-2
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Very good hotel for the price. Hotel was very helpful when we checked in. We were traveling with 3 dogs and they gave us a room on the very end to make it easier.. They had a special place for walking your dog and a little station with bags and a garbage can. The room was clean and neat. Hotel was in a great location, just off the interstate..I would definately recommend this hotel..

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daisymae2877
Reviewed 6 February 2008

I can't say enough about how the front staff went out of their way to assist us in anyway they could. A stay for 2 weeks away from home can be a long time but the evening shift in particular was extremly helpful.

One of my favorite parts was the waffle irons.The Waffle iron was easy to use but staff was always there if someone neded assistance. i would love to have one of those at home. Rest of breakfast also good. Hard boiled eggs, bagels, cereal etc. You could only blame yourself if you went away hungrey.

Very convenient having a refrigerator and microwave in your room especially when staying two weeks

Pet Friendly- I didn't have a pet but hotel staff was very nice to all pets. I saw a variety of types of dogs in my stay. I never heard a bark or saw any kind of mess from any pet who stayed here.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2007

My mother and I, and a couple friends of ours stayed here for 2 nights back in May. The stay was just plain average. The guy who checked us in at the front desk acted as if he wanted nothing to do with us, which didn't really make us feel welcome. Plus, the continental breakfast was awful! It mainly consisted of junk food that looked like it had been bought at the local gas station (I instead recommend you have breakfast at the nearby McDonalds), and the beds weren't too comfortable either.
On the other hand, the rooms were nice and clean and the pool and whirlpool were nice as well.

• Stayed: May 2007