“Lobby is deceiving, room was fine”

Days Inn Chambersburg
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Chambersburg
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I booked this room through travelocity, and it was a great deal. However, when I walked into the lobby, it was shabby and smelled of cigarette smoke so I was prepared to change hotels if the room was the same. However, the room was a standard hotel room, very nice and very clean. The staff was friendly. If you are looking for a good value, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Gabester77

Reviewed 29 July 2010

I have nothing good to say about this hotel other than the staff was pleasant...at least, the day shift. Unfortunately, the gentleman running the place at night was a real crook!

Here is what happened. My elderly father had gone to PA with me from VA to drop my son off at a Civil Air Patrol survival training camp. While he was there, my dad and I wanted to visit Gettysburg and the battlefield. I didn't make any reservations because I wasn't sure if he would go and I would have just driven back to his house without staying over in a hotel. So, we stopped at several hotels in the area only to find those near Harrisburg full for a Chrysler Convention (good to see that stimulus money put to good use) and those around Gettysburg full due to a Bike Week promotion! By the time we found this hotel, we were ready to give up! It had already been about three hours of driving around and stopping at various hotels.

The good news was they had vacancy. The bad...we could only get a smoking room if we wanted to pay with a credit card...they supposedly had a non-smoking room available only if we would pay CASH! That's right, his quote was, "the room is not in the system, so I would not be able to take credit card"...(read that with an Indian accent). Despite our brief aurgument, we took the smoking room despite my allergies to such.

The beds were so-so in comfort, so didn't get that great of a nights sleep. The shower was OK and, I guess the bathroom was clean enough. After we ate a crappy breakfast consisting of juice, coffee, and muffins and "fresh" fruit, the power cut off and stayed off. With electric razors, we were unable to shave. Do you think these jokers would give us any discount? NOPE.

For slightly over $100 per night, this was nowhere near worth it. Later on my trip back to FL, I stayed in a competitor hotel that was 10x as nice and cost half as much!

Days Inn should immediately pull this operator's license to use the Days Inn brandname!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank BravePenguin
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Our bed had a yellow pee stain...Needless to say, we will not be staying there again. Maid had put two sheets over top the stain...YUCK! :(

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank jimlewis2222
Reviewed 5 March 2010

We had a very pleasant stay at Days Inn, Chambersburg. Check-in was quick and courteous. We were pleased with our room, king bed, comfortable lazyboy chair, all very clean.
Continental breakfast was sufficient for us- cereals, bagels, fruits, juices, coffee. Location was close to restaurants and freeway. We DO recommend.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Don't make reservations on the Days Inn website! Call the hotel directly. Website snookered me into a hard contract for a 2nite stay, when all I wanted was a reservation. But the Chambersburg desk clerk fought the central office for me, and fixed the problem. Now, whenever I'm in Franklin or Adams Co. PA, I'll sure stay at Cays Inn Chambersburg. But I'll call them to reserve. I'll never again trust the Days Inn website.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Days Inn was not your ideal luxury experience, but it wasn't miserable. Our two double bed room got very hot at night, but the beds were comfortable. The continetal breakfast was a joke, with stale donuts and bagels and in a very minimal seating area, and the 'out side pool' was tiny, but in a comfortable, private area in the back. Our room was cleaned when we returned home in the evening and the staff were friendly. The entire place lacked brightness and cheer, and the decorations were shabby and dull. But the rooms and bath rooms were clean and moldless. Preferable for someone on business, not a family on vacation.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank macsclans
Reviewed 9 June 2008

We booked at the Days Inn based on the reviews on TripAdvisor. Admittedly, it received overrated reviews.

Pros: Location--20 to 30 minutes from Gettysburg, IMMEDIATELY off the highway; Service staff was very courteous and made significant efforts to meet our needs (we arrived extremely late and needed a crib).

Cons: Decor. hotel looked old, carpet worn, our room had some (more than to be expected) paint chips and a poorly patched hole in the bathroom door. Breakfast--stale cereal and english muffins; no high chair.

I think the property was under new management, and perhaps they are addressing these problems. If they made some significant efforts to clean up the decor, we might stay there again if just passing through (or if they lowered their rates).

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Brofinany