“Charming little diner/coffee shop”

Molly's Restaurant and Carry Out
Ranked #40 of 175 Restaurants in Chambersburg
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Late lunch options were limited at 2pm, so decided to try Molly's for the Chicken and Waffles; unfortunately, I didn't read the full description and the chicken was shredded chicken stew; not your typical fried chicken and waffles, maybe this is PA style. Waffle was good, but didn't go well with the chicken.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I decided to try Molly's last Sunday based on tripadvisor reviews. My husband had scrambled eggs, red potatoes, sour dough toast, and a quarter pound sausage patty. He said that his food was good, but yawn. he orders the same breakfast every Sunday. I, on the other hand, had a yummy Alexander the Great Scramble - eggs, spinach, feta and tomatoes all mixed together - with red potatoes and sour dough toast. In a nutshell, the five star rating is because the toast was actually toasted and tasty, the coffee was very good, and when I returned home, I didn't have to drink a quart of water to recover from the saltiness of the eggs. Staff was friendly and efficient.

2  Thank Terri K
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was the first time that I passed through Chambersburg on business. A person at the bank suggested we go to Molly's for lunch. Molly's is a quant little restaurant and the staff was very attentive and friendly. Anna "the owner" came out to greet our table and was very down to earth and truly appreciated of us being there. Everyone said I had to have the Chicken and Waffles (I think its called Chicken Whaaatttt?) on the menu. I was pleasantly surprised (as was everyone at our table, with how great the food was. The service was superb, the food excellent and plentiful, the atmosphere inviting, and the entire staff made you feel as part of their family (I was expecting NORM ((from Cheers)) to come through the door at any time). If your ever in the Chambersburg area, this place is definitely worth checking out.

3  Thank bill b
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Based on the reviews here, I expected a nice treat at lunch. There were very few people in the restaurant, and I was greeted immediately when I entered. I looked over the menu, and decided to go with the chicken and waffles that the reviews say is an excellent choice. I also chose the French onion soup (at a surcharge of $2.00). The food arrived quickly.
The French onion soup was in a very small crock and consisted of dark beefy broth, NO caramelized onions, lots of soggy croutons and a paper-thin slice of (what appeared to be) a lowfat cheese that had actually been charred - no bubbling- under the broiler.
Then came the waffles. The waffle was in quarters, very thick and tough, and had a bitter aftertaste. It had a very thin, grayish gravy, more like a cornstarch thickened canned broth poured over it which caused the top layer of the waffle to be soggy, while the underside was very tough. Then what was the chicken, which was pulverized to the texture of sawdust and just as dry was sprinkled over the top of the waffle. It could not have been more than a half of a very small breast, I believe from a frozen portion. It had no flavor, nor did the "gravy".
The bill with a drink (bottled soda with a plastic cup of ice) was close to 14.00. It was very unsatisfying lunch.
I tipped the efficient waitress well, as the food quality was not her fault.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great breakfast and lunch in one of the oldest restaurants in downtown Chambersburg. Completely and tastefully renovated cozy spot in downtown Chambersburg with wonderful food choices. Order the chicken and waffles, a local favorite.

1  Thank SF G