“Great atmosphere in a desert”

The Orchards Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 171 Restaurants in Chambersburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Great atmosphere in a desert”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Limited menu but great atmosphere and presentation. Food is outstanding with neat specials on a regular basis

Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Three top chefs always turn out something special”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Three of their chefs are graduates of the Culinary Institute, and their food is always outstanding. They have some of the best crab cakes in the tri state area, but anything they put on their menu is worth considering....and will be good. Very good wine list too. The bar/lounge area is very relaxing and fun spot to meet friends for drinks - and dinner.

Grantham, Pennsylvania
“Great Dinner”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner this past Saturday evening. We each had a steak and it was cooked perfectly.

• Visited March 2014
“Extremely Over Rated!!!”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Been there quite a few times and the food is always just plain average. Same menu for years and years with a few changes but basically same stuff. The best part about it is RELAX side of it. Descent wings. But overall much better places to eat. I have heard many rumors of poor sanitary standards in the kitchen as well as roach problems, though I can say I have never had one in my food but enough people have said the same thing. In my opinion it is way over hyped, food is out dated, pretentious, and just plain not that good. And enough with the Greek menu stuff, its not gonna get anybody in the door. Most of the deserts are not home made as they like to say they are ( got that one from the inside). If you want to stop by for a drink and a quick app I say go for it. The crab dip is a winner most say and like I say the wings are pretty good but avoid the over rated, over priced gimmicky menu. By the way its not REAL fine dining!! Everyone in my group was so disappointed in our meals. We asked to see the owner and some really tan guy dressed in what looked like a pimp suit talked to us. He said his name was Mike. I guess he is the boss, anyways a bad all around meal.. But hey you decide for yourself!!

“Valentines Day Disaster”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

To be as fair as possible I want to preface this review with the information that I have dined at this restaurant 4 or 5 times before with my husband or with family and have been overall impressed with our food and service. However our Valentines Day was pretty much ruined because of our last experience.

My husbands birthday happens to be Valentines Day so we decided to do something different this year and book the Orchards who was having a jazz band in their banquet room. We figured a little jazz music, some slow dancing and a delicious meal in the ambiance that Orchards is known for would be a perfect evening for us. Sadly, it turned out to be nothing like what we planned on.

Our dinner reservations were for 8:00 PM. They had trouble locating our table as we were the only table they seemed to forget to put a reservation card on. We were given complimentary raspberry champagne along with our water by the hostess. 30 minutes went by and we were never greeted by our server. I finally flagged one down as she was walking by. She did apologize immediately and said they thought the other waitress had taken care of us. We were not sure how either of them walked by our table many times and never noticed our menus were still sitting on the table. But we shrugged it off and figured now that she knew we were needing service, things would be better from then on. She took our orders, brought me another complimentary champagne and brought my husbands drink to him and said she had put our order in and it shouldn't be too long. We sat there for another hour 15 minutes waiting for our dinner.

Don't get me wrong. The band was wonderful and we were enjoying each other company and conversation. Its not like we wanted to get in and get out. We came to enjoy ourselves so the wait for the food was not what made us angry. What made us angry was that in that hour and 15 minutes, our waitress NEVER ONCE returned to check on us, offer refills or give us any update on our food. Since she said it would not be long we decided to hold off on any dancing. Other couples were up slow dancing to the band but we figured our food would be out and after we ate we could dance a little. By the time our food was brought to us at 9:45 PM, the band was packing up their stuff and done for the night. So instead of dining to the romantic sounds of slow jazz we instead were eating in this awkward silence with the background chit chat of other people in the room. The final straw for me was when they brought out our dinner they only brought the main dish and said they would be right back with my sides. Instead of doing this, the waitress came in not once...but two more times to serve the table behind us before going back to get my sides. Your kidding right? We waited over an hour for our food and you can't even bring it all out to me?

My food was delicious but I am sure you can imagine that by then, it was hard to enjoy. The mood was killed, the service was upsetting and now we had no time to enjoy desert since it was about the time I told the babysitter we would be home. After awhile the waitress returned and asked if we saved room for desert. I told her we did, but now did not have time to eat it. She apologized again and asked if we wanted it in a to go box and I simply said, No I would rather she got me the manager. The manager came out and spoke to us. She did handle things to our satisfaction and knocked 15% off the bill along with free deserts. However everyone that I have told the story to said our entire meal should have been free all things considered.

In conclusion, I will most likely return to this restaurant but ONLY because of our past good experiences here. If this had been my first experience, I would not be returning. However if I ever encounter a disaster like this one again it will probably be our last visit. I really hope this review can serve as constructive critique that will help provide better training for the staff and better service for the guests. I hope in the future for any big events like Holidays, they will plan accordingly and have enough staff to provide the guests with the service they are known for.