“So sad to have to write this.”
Review of Bombay Dining

Bombay Dining
Ranked #101 of 172 Restaurants in Chambersburg
Cuisines: Indian, Nepalese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I had been a regular at Bombay Dining for over a year. It was some of the best Indian food I ever had. The old owner would make my dishes super spicy just for me.

Bombay has changed hands in the past month and I have been there twice. They now use soggy white rice that is awful. The naan was no longer even edible and it used to be wonderful. It was burned! My chicken curry no longer had peppers in it and was bland and tasted awful. The Tandoori lamb was also soggy and tasteless.

Unless Bombay hires the old kitchen staff back they are done for.

1  Thank Johnk53389
There are newer reviews for Bombay Dining

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I love the lunch buffet. This food is filling and incredibly delicious; unique, yet not too spicy or extreme. I live far away, but will have cravings for Bombay's food leading up to a trip to Chambersburg. I seriously look forward to eating there, and use it as a post-workout meal LOL!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've been to this restaurant multiple times for lunch, and a friend and I planned to go to dinner. The previous reviewer is correct. On the inside door, there is a sign that reads something to the effect of new management, and Bonus Book and Restaurant.com coupons will not be honored at face value, but at 15% off. We seated ourselves in the completely empty restaurant at about 5:20pm on a Wednesday. No music, lights above tables were off on the side with the buffet. Table was clean and already set with placemats, silverware, a white dinner plate and paper napkins. The napkins were Bounty or Mardi Gras type like we buy for home. Strange.
A waitress greeted us right away and handed us our menus, I assume to avoid placing them on the plates already on the table. Every table was set this way, which I don't like since you don't know how long they've been there plus I don't want a dirty menu placed on a plate I'm expected to use. We both ordered a Mango Lassi, and they arrived quickly. Glad to say it was still pint glass sized and delicious. Cost was $3. Food order was rough--waitress was very nice but brand new and we had to show her the menu so she wrote down the correct item. She came back with questions for us a couple times--how spicy did I want my food, which biryani did she want. I guess she hadn't written down the combo biryani lol.
Anyway, food didn't take too long. Two or three other parties came in and we realized that there was only one waitress working. Food was very good, presentation was nice. Lamb Vandaloo was tender and flavorful, but not spicy at all although I asked for medium heat. $12.95 for an fair sized serving. The biryani serving was huge! The owner stopped by our table and asked how our food was and was pleasant.
The waitress hadn't asked us if we wanted separate checks and she seemed confused by our request and said the owner would fix it. When we were signing our checks, my friend realized that her receipt had my name on it...turns out she charged my card twice. We went up to the desk and the owner fixed things....we also realized the charges weren't correct either so he had to void both and recharge, which he did with no complaint.
Overall, it was an odd experience but the food was excellent. I think I'll stick with it for the lunch buffet though.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

When you purchase a Restaurant.com coupon for Bombay Dining, the new (newbie?) owner/manager will not honor it despite the "no expiration date" clause. On the entrance is a note saying the previous owner's coupon is in "error" and can only be used for 15% off, not $15. But wait, there's more... He'll forget the sign he has posted and arbitrarily lower that to 10% on the fly, leave our credit card transaction in limbo ... and then leave the restaurant on a delivery (perhaps to avoid resolving the matter face to face?).

But wait... there's more: A previous coupon _from the restaurant itself_ was not honored. Kudos to our waitress who honored it despite the most bizarre, unprofessional manager behavior I've witnessed. (No coupon for you!)

But wait... there's more: The classy new management has kept the name and the menus but has crossed out all combo plates in each menu with a tasteful selection of permanent marker colors. (No combos for you!)

The main dishes were good, the waitress was helpful, and the appetizers were below previous standards. Note to manager: Goo-Gone can help you get the UPC stickers off those hanging lamps.

We mainly care about the food, though, and while my wife and I enjoyed our meal, the anniversary dinner was largely tainted by the 20+ minutes we spent trying to get a reasonable bill. Through TripAdvisor, may the money he saved by not honoring our Restaurant.com coupon be lost many times over by warned off customers.

1  Thank ToddlyQWombat
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have never written a review before but I felt that after our experience I needed to make an exception. Three friends and myself went to Bombay for lunch 2 days ago. I had a 25.00 voucher as long as we spent over 35.00. We were really excited to try something different and there was no expiration date so it was great. Only 2 other people when we walked in(indian)
Long and short of it we were never waited on. Had to ask for menus the buffet food look dried up. The voucher was for dinner only even though there was no lunch menu, all were dinner prices. Had to stand on my head to get the waitress to approach us about BYOB and was told NO although I read it in reviews that you could. No water, nothing for 20 minutes. The waitress only perked up when other Indians came to take their order. Yeah for AJ's Deli!!!!!

2  Thank mlem57