“Good quality for the price”

Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Location is excellent and traveling alone as a female, I did not feel uncomfortable at any time. Having the Seven 11 close by is a real bonus since there is no room service. The complimentary breakfast provides just enough choices to get you started for the day. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 August 2013

It was after midnight, and our flight had just been cancelled. Best Western Chester, PA promptly picked us up at the airport and got us settled in a nice room. Here are a couple of examples of the excellent service we received: Late night shuttle driver - picked us up very late at night and also went out of his way to deliver our bags to us at the airport the next day. We were running late, and he made a great effort to rush our bags to us, which enabled us to just make our flight. Daytime manager/shuttle driver - provided storage for our bags after checkout so we could visit the city while waiting for our rescheduled evening flight. Offered to deliver the bags to us at the airport so we did not need to travel back and forth to get them. Great service above and beyond the call of duty!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I do not believe that this manager was as committed to the Best Western customer service model that I have come to expect or he just did not believe that my family deserved the extra courtesy of not being inconvenience. Quite frankly I did not want to be moved to another room after taking the time to purchase and spray Lysol not knowing if the next room that my family would be moved to would again appear to be clean but not be, especially after the cleaning group misrepresented their work to the management staff on duty.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tracey H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This was the host hotel for my daughters track meet and it was terrible. My husband went downstairs to get clean towels and was told they were out of towels. What? I have never heard of a hotel running out of towels. So, he went back again that morning and was told they were still waiting on towels. Unbelieveable! My husband had to go buy towels so we can shower. Then my daughter went to go eat breakfast that was included. What a joke, I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

We travelled to US for the Open Golf championship from UK. Our other hotel was double booked and we ended up here .
Thankfully this worked out well as we met some wonderful staff. Maintenance guy Walter PLUS Dangerfield the driver. They all took very good care of us all. I would be happy to go back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We recently stayed here because it was close to US Open parking. Hotel is nice, comfortable, clean. A/C was noisy. Room did not get cleaned one day. No restaurant (does have breakfast), but local places deliver.

Room Tip: Not the 4th floor, under the air handlers on the roof.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We were at the Best Western at Widener University for three nights. Our room and the common areas were clean., There were places where the carpets were worn out and dirty and we thought this was odd since the hotel is not that old.
Previously written reviews are correct, it's not located in a safe area. We did not venture out at night and we could distinctly hear loud profanity outside the hotel all hours of the night and early morning. However, that's certainly not the hotel management's fault.
The reason I am giving this hotel a 2 star rating is because of the poor service we encountered. When we arrived, the desk clerk was somewhat pleasant but everything went downhill from there. When we entered the room, we noticed a door tag which asked what additional items we would like in our room. There were only 2 small towels so we requested 4 bath towels for the next morning. The next day, we did receive the towels but there wasn't another door tag asking what additional things we would need. The next day we returned to the room quite late, so we didn't notice until the next morning that we again had two small towels. There was also no soap, toilet paper, additional toiletries or tissues. Also, the room attendant took the razors, spoons, plastic bags and cups we had brought with us. I didn't call the desk because it was very early in the morning, I knew the maids wouldn't be there and we couldn't wait until those items were brought to the room. Luckily, I had some soap and tissues in my suitcase. When we checked out, the desk clerk was a rude woman, who never looked up or asked about our stay, handed me my receipt and never said thank you. I was going to say something about the maid service but I didn't want to discuss the problem with this woman.
Maybe I could deal with the maid, mistakes can be made, the clerk was just an unpleasant person and maybe I can even understand that. Everyone has a bad day although I have to say that everytime we entered the hotel after being out for the day, we would say hello to the desk staff and we would barely get a hello except for one older man who was friendly. The worst experience we had with the staff was the woman who was attending the breakfast area. For three mornings, all she did was sit at a table and do something on her Smartphone. She never said good morning or have a nice day, or replenish the food or drinks. My husband asked for orange juice one morning and she told him there wasn't any left, while she never looked up and kept doing whatever she was doing on her phone. If the tables were full, she went outside to smoke because she didn't have a place to sit down. The breakfast was very minimal: coffee, juice, bread, a few pastries, canned fruit cup, waffle batter. When an item was gone, she didn't put more out and we noticed this occurred anytime during the time the breakfast area was opened. One morning we went to breakfast later and there was only bread left and one or two pastries and coffee.
I can't remember when I have been to a more unfriendly hotel. It was like we were doing them a favor by staying there. We won't be returning to this hotel. Actually, we have never had good luck with any Best Western!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for a room away from the 7 Eleven because it's a hangout all hours...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mom153
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Philadelphia Airport Ridley
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park
Wyndham Garden Philadelphia Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Philadelphia Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport
Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University

Address: 1450 Providence Avenue, Chester, PA 19013-5715 (Formerly BEST WESTERN PLUS Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University)
Region: United States > Pennsylvania > Chester
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chester
Price Range: £70 - £141 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University 2.5*
The Best Western Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University is the perfect hotel for your visit to Philadelphia and its suburbs. The hotel is located just minutes from Philadelphia International Airport, providing 24-hour Airport shuttle service. We are also located across from the campus of Widener University, and just minutes from Swarthmore College. Only 1 mile from Harrah's Casino and the closest hotel to PPL Park (Home of Major League Soccer's Philadelphia Union). The hotel provides complimentary 24-hour shuttle service, continental breakfast, free parking, free high speed wireless and wired internet access, daily newspapers and much more. Also featuring fitness and business centers. Stay at the newest, greenest, and most friendly Best Western hotel in the Philadelphia area! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Plus Philadelphia Airport South at Widener University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Best Western Philadelphia Airport South At Widener University Hotel Chester