“Southern Charm located in Chester County, PA”

Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've stayed at this B&B on several occasions and have never come away disappointed. The opulence of the grounds starts with a beautiful fountain and coy pond at the entrance. The wonderful sun porch is a cozy and relaxing place to read your favorite book. Indoors, the beautiful antiques and decorations make you feel like you're a guest in a New Orleans mansion. The owners have taken great care to make each guest room comfortable, beautiful and even grand.

The breakfasts are delicious, served on exquisite china. Ashley and Glen treat their guests with southern hospitality and I look forward to returning in the very near future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here with my wife in late September 2013 when we decided to do an overnight visit to the Brandywine Valley. We selected Hamanassett based on the location and the excellent reviews. The only hesitation I had was a result of none of the pictures on either the website or on TripAdvisor appeared to be five stars, IMHO.

We arrived late in the afternoon. The actual location is a bit curious...the property is located within, but separate from, a high-end subdivision. We were greeted warmly upon arrival and were given a brief tour and shown to our room.

The room and common areas are attractive and nicely appointed, but nothing at all stood out as being "five star" or excellent. That is not a knock against the place...it is very nice. I just think it is a four star property. I took of one star from my rating, which I will explain below. I have stayed at B&Bs and Inns that I found to be far superior.

The outdoor areas are nice, but once again not spectacular. There are horses in a couple of paddocks and a lawn chess setup, that serves no real purpose other than creating a photo opp. My wife and I had an hour or so to kill on a very nice day upon arrival, but after a quick tour of the grounds we were not tempted to spend it outside. The exterior of the house around the back and sides is not that well kept.

Breakfast was very well done. The coffee and food were great and the service was just right.

Our biggest disappointment, by far, occurred when we realized why there is a very powerful plug-in air freshener (Fabreeze, I believe) in the upstairs hallway. Upon arriving, we were both surprised at the overpowering nature of the air freshener, which reminded me of the scent that you sometimes find in a hotel room when it is obvious that housekeeping is trying to cover up some unpleasant odor. The reason for the air freshener became clear later that evening when we returned from dinner to the unmistakable, and very unpleasant, smell of cigarette smoke permeating into the common areas from the owners' section of the house. We were both somewhat grossed out. Fresh cigarette smoke was also notable in the morning when we walked out of our second floor room for breakfast. It wasn't overpowering, but it was definitely there.

I recognize that not everyone finds cigarette smoke offensive...but we do. For this we deducted one star from the review and consequently we will neither return nor recommend this property. There are plenty of signs in the building reminding guests that this is a "non-smoking" property. I think it only fair that the innkeepers abide by their own rules, do not smoke in the house, and lose the obnoxious air freshener. We would not have booked the room if we thought we were going to be subject to second-hand smoke.

From reading other reviews, it is clear that the innkeepers will get the last word. Regardless of what Is said, trust me that the smoke is there and it is real. We have no bones to pick and didn't have a bad overall experience, but others should be forewarned in case they don't wish to tolerate cigarette smoke.

We were treated nicely and the food was good, but we will not return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank raydo99
Madamqueen, Owner at Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

I appreciate the positive remarks from this reviewer about our service and breakfasts. However, I'm a bit perplexed by a couple of remarks. This review makes it sound like we are in the middle of dozens of homes. We are at the end of the street where you have to drive past six houses to get to our 7 acre property. Once on our property the other houses can't be seen because of all the trees and foliage. While he may not have been interested in the outdoor chess game we have had many guests enjoy playing on it. For those guests who aren't interested in chess we have over a dozen other games for inside the house.

We are a non-smoking bed and breakfast but allow guests to smoke outside on the grounds including our front loggia, the terrace and on the balconies of two of our rooms, including the room that this guest occupied. Unfortunately sometimes guests choose to ignore our policies. We also instruct guests if they smoke to please close the door to the balcony but realize we need to add closing windows if they are smoking near them. In twelve years this is the first guest find our house unpleasant and I am truly sorry he didn't enjoy his stay with us.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband chooses a special night get away for our anniversary every year. This year he chose the Hamanassett B and B. We were greeted by Ashley, who showed us her lovely home and answered all of our questions. The rooms were decorated beautifully and the amenities left nothing to be desired. Breakfast was prepared and served like none we have experienced before. The service and charm at Hamanassett is impeccable. Thank you for a wonderful anniversary memory.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My sister and I arrived at the Hamanassett B and B last Friday, Oct.25 th for our "sisters weekend". This is our third time staying here and we were warmly greeted by Glen's big smile and a helping hand.
As usual, we thoroughly enjoyed Ashleys delicious breakfasts, which she made sure we had not experienced on our previous visits. Their attention to detail is unequaled. Every comfort is well thoughtout and presented. Cozy robes in the closet, water bottles by the bed, coffee , tea, soda, snacks, and freshly baked cookies, available at any time with out having to ask. Our beautiful room had a wonderful balcony overlooking the Koi pond, where we sat and greeted the morning and ended each day.
Needless to say, we are looking forward to our next weekend at our favorite Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My boyfriend surprsied me wth a stay at Hamanassett this past weekend and I had an amazing time. Ashley warmly greeted us when we arrived, showed us around, and asked when we would like our breakfast served each day. Breakfast was absolutely delicious, and served on lovely china. Our room was gorgeous, cozy, and stocked with free water and very nice toiletries. There was even a guest pantry with complimentary snacks, coffee, ice, and beverages. My boyfriend loved the cookie jar in the hallway with fresh baked cookies every day! The horses at the stable were friendly and the koi pond was beautiful. Definitely going back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely.
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I spent quite a bit of time researching places to stay for our first trip to Pennsylvania and our choice to stay at Hamanassett was certainly the right one. My wife and I spent four days here in their Meadow Cottage and this place really is as nice as it presents itself online and in the reviews. Both the cottage and the main house are stunningly beautiful with old style charm but its also at the same time very inviting and welcoming. The morning breakfast is nothing short of spectacular and any of the dishes served could easily be showcased in a 5 star restaurant. The owners are very friendly and really go the extra mile to ensure that their guest feel welcome and cared for. Special touches like the brandy and treats for the horses on the property really make this place a gem. Hamanassett really made our trip extremely memorable and we will most certainly return the next time we are in the region!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My Fiancé and I were very happy to find a seemingly lovely place to spend our first night as bride and groom. When we originally booked the property, the owner, Glen, was very accommodating in showing us our options in the house. We mentioned that I wanted to get ready there the day of the wedding with the bridal party though he was not crazy about the idea, he did concede saying, "Anything is doable for a price". Fast forward to the week before the wedding, we did manage to book all three rooms so we would have the floor to ourselves. When I called in to make sure our details were set, I was rudely reprimanded by Glen and I was then told that it is absolutely NOT possible to get ready there and we were really putting them out by "assuming" this was ok. After a 20-minute conversation going back and forth, Glen decided to charge me an extra 10% on top of their expensive rates for the 3-rooms combined, so he would allow the 4 extra people come over. Anything is doable for a price. I had my fiancé call to find out why I was spoken to so rudely, but Glen’s wife assured us everything would be fine and we wouldn’t have any problems from Glen. Fast forward to the wedding day, the owners could not have been colder to our guests as they came in. We felt extremely unwelcomed and unwanted. We will never return to Hamanassett.

11  Thank Jones10513
Madamqueen, Owner at Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

It is our goal to please all our guests but sometimes we fall short. In this case expectations were mismatched. We did our best to meet their needs while minimizing disruptions to other guests staying here and I apologize if this came across as being rude. Had we known in advance the extent of this guest's requirements we would have suggested they find a larger facility better able to meet their needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
Inn at Mendenhall, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Wyndham Garden Glen Mills Wilmington

Been to Hamanassett Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!