“Hopefully it has gotten better...”
Review of Agave Cantina & Tequila Bar - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Agave Cantina & Tequila Bar
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We went to Agave when it first opened. We were SO excited to have some Mexican food in the Clarks Summit area, because there is really only one other place in Dickson City. But what a disappointment it really was. My biggest complaint was the "cheese sauce" they called queso that tasted like it came directly out of a tin can. The food presentation was ok, but it didn't taste at all authentic or even Tex Mex. It tasted just poorly prepared, flavorless, and just overall disappointing. SO I'd sooner drive to Wilkes Barre (to La Tolteca) the next time I have a hankering for Mexican food... sorry, Agave, but it just didn't work for me.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

On our way home from Canada, my mother and I had had enough driving for awhile and decided to sit down somewhere and have a few beers and something to eat. I checked the GPS for places along our route, and dozens of them came up. Neither of us were really thinking Mexican food, but after following directions to several places along the way that were out of business, we pulled into Agave for a quick bite.

The place is a little deceiving at first. Italian food on one side and Mexican on the other. We later found out you can order from either menu. According to the sign, they also have live music several times a week at least. We sat down on the Mexican side and ordered a few beers. They came out with a bowl of really fresh nachos and what appeared to be home made salsa. It was fantastic. Fresh, chunky and ice cold.

Neither of us was really starving or looking to eat a huge meal and then get back in the car for another 200 miles. That's primarily why we decided against Italian. We settled on splitting the 3 hard (shredded chicken) taco dinner with Mexican rice, There were so many good choices on the menu, but we were thinking something fairly light. By the time our tacos came out, along with another bowl of chips and salsa, we were glad we hadn't ordered any more. The chicken had a very nice south western spice that I just couldn't put my finger on. It really made the tacos.

By the time we were finished, both of us had eaten a little more than we wanted to. It was all so good, it seemed a waste to leave any. I really can't speak for the rest of the menu, but the food we saw being served all looked very appetizing.

Our waiter was right on top of his game. We didn't have to wait very long before he was right there with whatever we needed. Beside being extremly friendly, he was also attentive enough so as not to get annoying.

When the check came we were both very surprised. 20 bucks. For everything, beers included. Try doing that in Canada.

I do plan to stop here again on my way home the next time so that my wife can check it out. All in all, very good, fast, and reasonably priced.