“Good and Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Nichols Village Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Clarks Summit
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

The good: Friendly staff, nice property, decent breakfast.

The Bad: Rooms are a bit dated, shower not all that clear, beds are horrible.

Been coming here for year on business, but it seems they are just not keeping up with the place. The bed was horrible, felt every spring in it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I am always glad to here from our guests. Thank you for mentioning the staff they are very happy when guest make an effort to recognize them. I am sorry that you found some aspects of the room not to your liking. We are working to get new bedding in this year

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

If I could give a 6 star to Nichols Village Hotel I would. We went there for an evening stay for our 50th Anniversary and people all made us very welcome. They went over and beyond our expectations. We would recommend this Hotel and Spa to anyone. The whirlpool bath/shower is great to relax in and I would suggest you give it a try. Thank you again to the whole staff for a great stay.

Room Tip: Get a whirlpool tub room, you will not be sorry.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William M
Robert12084, General Manager at Nichols Village Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
I really appreciate that you took the time to write your review. Thank you for mentioning the staff. They try real hard to make the guest feel at home . If you are planning to visit us in the future please give me a call so I can meet you.
Rochester, New York, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just had a stressful thanksgiving gatherings with the family.
This hotel room was roomy. The hotel provides a good rate, has a nice swimming pool and exercise room. The breakfast was really good.

The location was excellent. Just off of I-81 and end of the PA turnspike.

One small problem, it was a little difficult to modify the temperature of the room.
After a while, I was able to get it right.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am glad you decided to stay with us during the holiday. They can be stressful when everyone gets together. I am happy you found a little bit of solace during your stay
Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

First of all, I purchased through Hotwire, and thought I booked the wrong hotel after seeing the Trip Advisor reviews. We were on a road trip, and only stopping for the night, and were greeted by a very pleasant front desk clerk who attended to us with great hospitality and professionalism. The hotel is in a very convenient location, especially for a road trip, with a supermarket across the street, and fast food or eat-in restaurants everywhere you look. The room was clean and very comfortable, the bathroom was great, and I could find nothing at all to cause me to downgrade this property. It's not 5 star, but our stay was on the mark. I do not understand the low ratings on this website, based on our experience. The breakfast was on par with most roadside hotel breakfasts, and I concocted a hard-boiled egg and sausage patty sandwich that was delicious. Perfect for our purposes. I might add that it smelled really good in there. Don't know how they did that.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank candj39
Thank you for taking the time to write your review .I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.AS you know different guest have different needs and expectations. Thanks for noticing the aroma .I will tell you a secret we have a scent machine that changes each month depending on the season and the holiday. It is somewhat new in the hospitality business an a number of the big brands are starting to use them
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

It’s not that we have anything bad to say about the hotel…but we have nothing good to say either. The rooms were nothing special. Clean but very basic and not very big. The girl at the front desk when we checked in was great, very friendly and sweet. However, the daytime employees seem to gather around behind the desk as they all stood whispering and ignoring the guests.

We got a deal and paid $54 a night…had we paid more we would be really unhappy. The place doesn’t seem worth more than that.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
south carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Nichols Village has been sold and what a change! We originally planned to stay 2 nights but checked out after 1. It's apparent the new owners have let this once wonderful hotel go way downhill. The room we were assigned, while on the first floor and quite convenient, was substandard to say the least.....old furnishings, a very uncomfortable soft mattress and very poor lighting. The bathroom wasn't any better. When we arrived, we found no luggage racks....apparently, they don't put them in the rooms anymore.I don't know what they thought we should do with our luggage. Phone was not working so I went to the front desk 3x before they finally brought them (about 1 1/2 hours later.) At the end of the hall was an exterior door that was never locked at night. Poor security. During a 9 day road trip, this was the worst hotel we stayed at plus the majority of hotels we experienced were a lot less $$. I honestly could not recommend this hotel for a stay. I'm amazed at the lack of care by the new owners. A major disappointment.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Clarks Summit hotels

Old Forge, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked a block of rooms for myself and my wedding guests. Upon entering my room I found the bed side tables to be dirty, dusty and sticky. The curtain track for the blackout curtains was falling off the ceiling and hanging. I thought it was going to come down on my head. There was no bath mat in my room and was only given 2 bath towels. So one of the towels I had to use for the bath mat as I was rushing to get to wedding rehearsal dinner. As I went to wash my hair, I discovered that I was given 2 bottles of conditioner instead of shampoo and conditioner. The air conditioner kept shutting off all night long making it very uncomfortable for sleep. The refrigerator had a terrible rumbling noise all night long. 2 light bulbs were burned out in the bathroom and vanity areas. I paid the higher rate for the Presidential room for the space but was also expecting the amenities and features of the room to warrant the higher rate.
I left a note for the housekeeper asking for some more towels and for the blackout rod to be repaired and I was pleased to see both were accommodated.
Sunday morning one of my guests informed me that someone walked into his room in the middle of the night through the adjoining room door. I would never stay here again !
i sent an email to the hotel management outline my disappointment and was not even given the courtesy of a response.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Comfort Inn
#2 of 6 in Clarks Summit
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
The Carbondale Grand Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Nichols Village Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!