“Top Quality Food, Pleasent People” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fern Hall Inn

Fern Hall Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Clifford B&B and Inns
LACKAWAXEN
“Top Quality Food, Pleasent People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

It's really hard to find 5 star quality food in this area, I dined here Valentines day with my wife. I really enjoyed the food, It was great from the bread to the desert. The kind of dining like you find in Quebec, or Europe. The staff was friendly. I will go again... Soon Joe and Abby Barnes, PA

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JOE B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

After a stay a back around the turn of the new year I feel the need to share my experience. And by doing this I don't want to take away from the valiant effort from the staff.. just seems that the ownership is hurting what could be a nice getaway and destination. And I am not one to write a bad review. Dining would have been fine if it wasn't for the owners taking the best table in the dining room and the Mr. drinking what appeared to be a few too many glasses of red wine in the bar to the side of the dining room because the uncomfortable feeling of nausea took over when he felt the need to belittle the wait staff in front of customers. Too bad, because that is poor etiquette in what should be a classy joint.

Room Tip: Talk to the innkeeper, she knows what she is doing.. can't say the same about a couple others.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Johnny A
Clarks Summit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

After a day of skiing at nearby Elk Mountain, Fern Hall gives the chance to sit at a dinner table, next to a blazing fire, and enjoy a wonderful dinner of crab-stuffed salmon. Before dinner, a drink at the bar adjacent to the dining area gave the opportunity to informally enjoy the company of others sharing the dining room. Service was very efficient and pleasant - informal and friendly - but very well trained. I live close to Fern Hall - so an overnight stay is not in the picture. But getting a rerservation for a massage after skiing on a Sunday does not require an overnight. Finally - there is no greater greeter than Sam - Samantha - the owner of Fern Hall. Her warmth guarantees you will feel like family

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MikeSkis
Larchmont, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Fern Hall is an old and historic property from the Roaring Twenties, the former James Wood Johnson estate (of Johnson and Johnson fame). As you can see from the pictures, it is simply charming inside and the property views in the midst of the Endless Mountanins are out and out amazing. What a great place to watch the sun down! The charming owners Sam & Ed, have been, over the last few years during my wife and my visits, constantly improving all aspects of the property. The rooms are large and gracious, and our meals have for both breakfast and dinner have been great. I've read a few of the negative reviews and it is true there are no TV, radios or Telephones in the rooms. I say "Thank the lord!" Finally a place to simply relax. If you want a traditional business hotel, this ain't it. But if you want to cozy up, sit in a friendly bar or have a great dinner this is a wonderful place to be. On a side note, the home is quite interesting aarchitecturally, full of incredible period details like hand plaster work, terrazzo floors,hand painted murals, and showers with 9 nozzles, etc. which remind one of times gone by.

Mary, the inn keeper, is as several mention very friendly. Definitely check out both the inn's nearby boat house on the lake, and the golf course which are great destinations. The beds are extremely comfortable, in fact I'm calling to find out what the mattress was so I can buy one. We love the fluffy bathrobes. The last time we came with our friends. I'll come back with my son to hang out and go skiing nearby during the winter and with my wife for r&r.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Beaufort, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Having been in the hospitality industry for over twenty years, and firmly believing that graciousness has no cost, it was terribly disappointing to stay at the beautiful Fern Hall over Thanksgiving.

Firstly, the food was terrific, and Michael, the chef, is a charming. The whole place is shabby chic, a little down at the heels, which only adds to the charm. I would replace the cheap curtains with much higher quality for a lesser price on ebay, but that is minor.

When we made our reservation, we talked to Mary, who was very upbeat and lovely. We wanted to stay two nights, but when we were informed that Wed was forty dollars more than Thursday night, we decided to make it one. It wasn't so much the price as the policy that made us change our minds. You can imagine how surprised we were to find the place almost empty.

When we arrived, there was no one at the desk. We wandered around, toward the loud music coming from the kitchen and found someone. The woman in charge looked at us as if we had wandered in from the woods to stick the place up.

We loved our room, although all the inconveniences listed by another reviewer are true. No outlets in the bathroom, freezing, we had to get water glasses from another room, a very crinkly and noisy waterproofed mattress cover that we had to remove, no tv or clock, but none of that really bothers us. It was a large, sunny comfy room with a great bed, once we rearranged the bedding.

Dinner was excellent and the waitress was very sweet, although obviously not professionally trained.

After dinner I asked the same woman who checked us in what time breakfast was served. Her answer, after a pause: "I think it is at 8:30." Later I asked her about wi-fi and she told me they had it. I asked "what about for guests?" She told me she didn't know, but I should be able to get it.

At breakfast the next morning, the coffee was more like brown water, but that could just be the sticks. The water for tea was only lukewarm, but the very friendly gal in the kitchen gladly put it into the microwave and delivered it to me while she was chatting on her cell phone. Amazing. Not even at McDonald's. This is only a matter of training because otherwise she was very accommodating, making me a nice omelet. However, she did tell me that "they" didn't have any milk. Just half and half. There was one other couple at breakfast, the only other guests as far as I could tell.

I teach group seminars on communication skills and was considering Fern Hall for a conference for my clients. Not in a million years.

We have a house in the area, which was rented out, and were so thrilled to be there for the holiday. Next time, we will go to the Elk Mountain Resort, which has a much better handle on the meaning of hospitality.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank sistahsays
Burnsville, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

Fern Hill Hall is extraordinary in so many ways; from the elegant ten-course, dining experience to the hearty, freshly prepared breakfast, to the stunning, clear, and quiet waters of Crystal Lake, there is just nothing like it in my bed and breakfast experiences. Add to that the historical nature of the building. I felt like I was part of a Jane Austen novel, visiting the nobility up the hill from my cottage. I kept wondering when the men would show up, barking dogs at their heels, all fresh from an outdoor hunting experience.

Fern Hill Hall is a stone mansion built in 1916, originally the country estate of one of the Johnson and Johnson brothers. Sam, one of the new owners, has a reverence for the building, the grounds, and the community that certainly must arise at least in part from her PhD. in architecture from Princeton. And her husband, Ed, was quick to point out that the mural painted in the entry way was done by students from the Hudson River School of Painting. The two of them have teamed up to make Fern Hill Hall an experience I will remember for as long as the Endless Mountains that embrace it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed at Fern Hall Inn Nov. 19th, for a much needed get-away. Dinner was a wonderful, relaxing experience, the food delicious, the staff attentive, the setting & atmosphere - cozy...
The rooms were beautiful, spacious and comfortable. I sat in the corner rocking chair and read while my husband tested the sleep-worthiness of the bed. Suffice it to say - he had a great nap before his great night's sleep.
The morning brought us to the breakfast room for a leisurely repast of some great cinnamon raisin French toast, and more visiting with Michael.
We were very satisfied with our time at Fern Hall Inn, and would love to return again for another visit - with Michael, Sam, Mary, Connie
and the beautiful historic inn.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank reinings
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifford
The Carbondale Grand Hotel & Conference Center
Hampton Inn Clarks Summit
#1 of 6 in Clarks Summit
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton

Been to Fern Hall Inn? Share your experiences!