“Fabulous English Food!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I LOVE THIS PLACE! Great food, great beer, good friendly service and dining outdoors in "Chester County horse country" was the icing on the cake! Thank you for a wonderful evening! (PS - go mid week - it's really crowded Fri/Sat)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I love this place (except for the limited parking). The food and service is excellent but you may have to wait awhile to get a table so be prepared. Try the Welsh Rarebit...you won't be disappointed. There is enough for two.
BYOB !!!!

1  Thank ss0rdot
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We dined at the The Whip Tavern last evening for the first time. The tavern and terrace were beautiful and made you feel like you were in England. The bar area was lively and the people and the waitstaff were friendly. The ride getting to the restaurant was scenic and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Parking was tricky, but ultimately not an issue. Now let's talk food.

The menu was very inviting, as it had many traditional British dishes (check out the menu online). We were a party of 6 and waited a bit for a table outside-they do not take reservations.The night was perfect to eat outside, which I usually shy away from. Our group started off with the Welsh Rarebit which was good and a little boozy, but tasty enough. We then shared Scotch Eggs, which were good but not great. Three of us had the Fish and Chips. The fish was excellent, battered fresh, mild cod, served with tarter sauce. The chips were good, but they were pre-frozen steak fries and I was hoping for hand-cut fresh chips. They offered mushy peas or cole slaw to pair with the dish (the slaw was very good and the mushy peas were mushy peas-I hate peas, what can I say). I had the Short Ribs. They were tender and tasty, but missing the demi glace. My daughter had the Haggis, which was a cross between meatloaf and Haggis. It was served with Tatties and Nips and made her very happy (we went as a family to Britain last Spring and actually tried the famously scary Haggis twice). My brother ordered Rack of Lamb, which was not cooked very well but plentiful. For dessert we enjoyed the Sticky Toffee Pudding, which was a nice version of the dish.
Service was very personable, but the only thing that struck me as odd was having the waiter add items to our bill. An example was the mushy peas and cole slaw were add ons but he offered them as coming with the Fish and Chips. When we ordered the Puddings, he added the ala mode and charged us without asking. I have worked as a chef for 30 years and I can tell you it felt like he was padding the bill. Still, I didn't get excited about it, just aware of this practice.
If you are looking for a "British" dining experience out in the countyside with cool ambiance, a well stocked beer and ale bar and good but not great food, this is your place.

2  Thank Brucefoodsnob1
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you are looking for an authentic English style pub for an authentic "pub lunch", look no further than that Whip Tavern. After a comfortable drive through the country, you enter a proper English pub, with ales and ciders on tap, and a full slate of traditional English pub offerings, such as bangers & mash and sticky toffee pudding. Really, no other pub in the area offers the same experience. Go. It is worth the trip!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Definitely one of my favorite places to go. The people are great, food is delicious (just remember its English so not your typical menu), the sticky toffee pudding is by far the best dessert I've ever had! Only issue is the parking is a nightmare although I heard they just bought a lot to help with that. They don't take reservations so get there early and expect to wait because it gets crowded especially on the weekends. Outdoor dining is a must in the summertime. It's so secluded and beautiful! A great hidden treasure for sure!