“A Relaxing Weekend !”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbia
Columbian, A Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Columbia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My Husband and I were in town for a wedding and stayed at the Columbian Bed and Breakfast Inn, It was sooo relaxing in a nice quiet comfortable home, we drove all the way from Ohio to attend a family wedding. We arrived in the middle of the night and our room was ready and it was so nice to get a long relaxing night of sleep. Never sleep so good and the breakfast was great. Karen was such a nice Inn keeper she accommodated our late night arrival and checkout on Sunday very well. The note from the Inn Keeper made us feel at home, the book with the homes and neighborhood history was so nice to read even as tired as we were, we stayed up just to read the interesting facts.

Room Tip: Every Room is great since the home as windows on every side of the house !
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 April 2013

I loved my recent stay at the Columbian. The location, beds, linens and hospitality were wonderful. The breakfasts were varied and very good. Karen was helpful and answered any questions we had. The book with dining options and menus was really great. It was fun to visit with others at the breakfast table. The antique furnishings are so lovely and the home very welcoming. I will be returning on my next visit to the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The inn is a large, lovely old home on "Millionaires' Row." The rooms are very attractive. Karen greeted us when we arrived and graciously let us arrange breakfast for 8:30 instead of the usual 9am. In the Yost Room, we were pleased to find a bottle of wine and a helpful "Notes From the Innkeeper" binder, full of useful local information. Luckily, we spotted Karen on our way to dinner [at a restaurant highly recommended in the binder] because she thought the place was closed during Christmas week, and called to find out. When it wasn't open, she recommended a local café on a side street, which worked out well. If we hadn't seen her, we'd have arrived at a closed restaurant in a strange town with no one to ask for an alternative.

After that the only times we saw or heard Karen was at 8:30 on all three mornings. She'd present a lovely breakfast, exchange pleasantries, and answer any questions we might have. (When it was tough to explain directions to an out of the way movie, she went to MapQuest and printed out a route for us, which we appreciated.)

In such a well-reviewed place, we were surprised at some of the missing "we thought of everything" touches. Two examples: our room, overlooking Chestnut Street, was very bright at night. A streetlight shone through the window, and a hallway light came in over the transom. Drapes, or even dark shades, would lessen the outdoor light. The windowless bathroom, though, was pitch-dark at night. Even a tiny night-light would have been welcome.

My husband and I choose B&Bs over hotels because it's really fun to meet all kinds of people from all sorts of places. So it's disappointing to be the only guests, as we were at the Columbian. Whenever that's happened before, the innkeeper always sits down with us during breakfast. We're both sociable, enthusiastic travelers, and it's obvious we like talking to people. This was our first (and hopefully last) experience of being left to ourselves on a B&B morning. Three days in a row.

The Columbian Inn is a beautiful place in a very nice location.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Karen U, Owner at Columbian, A Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Thank you for your visit and your comments. As I always try to accommodate all my guests as best I can I take all suggestions seriously. Though there are blinds in each of the windows to close and some have closed the curtains I will see about getting darkening shades. Also though I do not have electric in the actual bathroom I will try a battery operated light. I am also sorry you did not get to visit other guests. This was mid week and I did have guests who chose to have a later breakfast time on the one day and another guest who left at 7am.
Thank you again for choosing the Columbian.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

We had planned to stay 4 nights and due to snow storm in OH we asked at the last minute to stay an extra night and Karen was very accommodating. The rooms were very clean, the breakfasts were very delicious and different each day. The Inn was beautifully decorated for the Holidays! Our next visit to family in Columbia will include seeing if Karen has space available for us!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Great inn-keeper and hostess-- hospitality extraordinairre! The home is spectacular with a jillion lovely homey touches and amenities. Karen has set the standard for any future choices for B&B's in our travel plans! She even provided a lovely history of the B&B and the area together with local tourist information and even menu samples from local eateries in a binder in our room! She is one of the nicest persons we have ever met and we enjoyed every minute of our visit! THANKS Karen!!!!!

Room Tip: We loved our Yost Room! Just perfect for our needs!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2012

My family and I have stayed at the Columbian B&B numerous times and we plan to stay there again when we return to Lancaster County. Karen, the innkeeper, is exceptionally friendly and extremely helpful. And she is a great cook which makes breakfast a real treat each day and a wonderful beginning of the day. We can always count on a warm welcome and help with any needs we might have. We definately will return to the Columbian B&B when we travel to Columbia to visit family. It has become a home away from home for us.

Room Tip: The Columbian B&B has only 4 rooms, all on the second floor. Each one is unique. The Yost Room i...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Friendly host, tasty breakfast of apple pancakes, comfortable stay. Bathroom was a little small for my husband. Walking distance to the National Watch and Clock Museum, a must-see. Would stay here again if we're ever in the area.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family