“An Amazing Experience !”
Review of Mombacho Lodge

Mombacho Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We found Mombacho Lodge quiet by accident on a family trip to Nicaragua. It is beautifully located inside the Mombacho Reserve right on the way to the Volcano. The lodge is beautifully constructed with very private individual cabins each with their own sit out. This is a great find for solo travelers, couples, families, or multiple families who want to be together yet have some privacy. Cynthia, the owner, has done an incredible job with building these completely off the grid (with close to zero environmental impact) yet providing comforts such as running hot and cold water, showers, flushing toilets, light etc. We stayed in Cabin #3 (Zoe) which was at the far end of the property and loved it - especially waking up to the sounds of nature and taking in the tranquility. The environs are gorgeous - dense with trees, full of beautiful walking trails.The rooms have plenty of light with screens to keep bugs and insects out. The main lodge where meals are served is gorgeous - allowing you the flexibility to join others or not. Cynthia is an incredibly gracious hostess and catered to our every need. We were traveling with our 9 year old son who is a picky eater and Cynthia went out of her way to cater to his limited palate. The food was great and the variety absolutely terrific. Cynthia makes some great cocktails so don't miss those! We were very impressed with Cynthia in that she has thought of all the little things that most people dont - bottled water in the rooms, flash lights in every room, spray botttles of American insect repellant etc. Cynthia went above and beyond with helping us with our onward travel plans as well as helping us maximize our time at Mombacho Reserve. She was incredibly responsive to emails with advice and information well before we got to Mombacho Lodge. Most of all, we really enjoyed her! We highly recommend Mombacho Lodge!

Room Tip: All the cabins are beautifully crafted and the sit outs are each very private. We stayed in #3 at th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at the amazing Mombacho lodge for 2 nights in late May. Despite the fact that it was "the rainy season" it only rained late at night, leaving the days sunny and bright for hiking and touring the area. My cabin #3 (Zoe) was huge and beautifully crafted. There are trails surrounding the property where you can take in fantastic views of Grenada and the lake, as well as observe howler monkeys, birds and lizards, and even more animals during a night walk. The climate was great, as it was pretty dry and there weren't many mosquitoes. Because the lodge is in a remote area, It is perfect to get away from it all and relax. It was perfect for me, as I am also a bird watcher, and I observed many bird species from my porch, especially close to dusk.

Cynthia arranged my pick up from the Managua airport, and the driver, Fillepe even let me stop to get supplies on the way. The one way trip was $40, and to Grenada, $20. Cynthia is a very accommodating innkeeper, and a fantastic cook. Make sure you try the Zapote fruit! They are seriously the best fruit I have ever had!

I will never forget my stay here, as Cynthia is so intelligent and easy to talk with, as well as a responsible businesswoman who integrates herself into and aids Nicaraguan society. Be sure to visit Cafe de Flores coffee plantation, and mention you stayed at Mombacho. They will give you a discount. It took me about 45 minutes to hike up the hill to Cafe de Flores, I was going at a slow paces and taking in my surroundings. Nicaragua is ruggedly beautiful and I wish I stayed longer!

Room Tip: My Cabin #3 had a porch that faced the forest
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had planned to stay at Mombocho Lodge for one night. When we learned of all the things there are to do in the area, we extended our stay to two nights. We should have extended it to at least three! The owner Cynthia was a blast. The lodge is made up of four cabins and an open air restaurant where Cynthia cooks for you. The lodge doesn’t have air conditioning, but it doesn’t need because its colder up here. Sitting in the restaurant we got our first look at wild howler monkeys. These guys were in the tree just outside where we were having dinner. They are shy but they do make a racket that would make you think they are as big as orangutans.

One of the Mombacho Lodge staff took us on a nighttime jungle hike looking for creatures that only show themselves in the dark. Though we think they should probably call this tour the creepy crawly tour as most of what we saw were bugs and more bugs. Granted they were often interesting bugs. But it got super creepy anytime something brushed your ankle. I would then yelp. This might have contributed to why we didn't see very many other creatures. Hint: Wear long pants and tennis shoes (no sandals or open air keens) to avoid getting bit by bugs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I read about Mombacho Lodge on Trip Advisor and I’m so happy I stayed here! Cynthia was such a great hostess and everything was wonderful, including the food (literally everything I ate at the Mombacho Lodge restaurant was amazing), the drinks, and the landscape. My boyfriend and I stayed for three nights and I really enjoyed my time at the lodge and highly recommend it!

Mombacho Lodge is located near many attractions including: Granada, Apoyo Lagoon, Café Las Flores, hiking, and Las Isletas. Additionally, it is only about 1.5 hours away from both San Juan Del Sur and Managua. Getting to attractions or other cities was easy due to Cynthia’s contact, Felipe, who owns a car service business. One of Felipe’s drivers picked us up from the Managua airport, and Felipe drove us to San Juan Del Sur- they were both very nice, friendly, and professional.

My boyfriend was worried about the lack of AC in the cabins, but it’s cool enough in the evenings that this wasn't a problem. If you like being outdoors and the idea of being in an eco-lodge, then you will love this place!

Tips: You may need ear plugs if you are a light sleeper; bring your own shampoo/conditioner/body wash; there is an electrical outlet in the bathroom; Cynthia provides bug spray, flashlights, and complimentary water!

Say “hi” to Fritz and Ally for me!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Mombacho lodge had first rate food, excellent service and a charming atmosphere. Tucked in the jungle on the bottom of Mombacho Volcano, the lodge is a must stay place in Nicaragua. I stayed in three different areas in Nicaragua and this was by far the coolest one. The location is great for for a hikers with an abundance of trails. There is also easy access (via trails or car) to the coffee plantation atop the Mombacho Volcano. Another neat thing about the lodge: howler monkeys. They are all around the area and you bump into them throughout the day.

Cynthia (the owner) is an excellent host with superb multitasking and cooking skills. She also has a very enjoyable personality so chatting with her at the restaurant/bar is easy. Her dog Ally is even super friendly too!

Another extremely important part of the Mombacho Lodge stay is the weather. I swear it is the one place where in the dead of a Nicaraguan summer, it isn't blazing hot all the time!

Also, Mombacho Lodge does serve as a relatively easy jumping off point for other areas of Nicaragua. Cynthia has a driver who will take you almost anywhere in the country. He is reliable and generally costs less than renting a car. I would suggest staying at Mombacho Lodge and hiring her driver to take you to other areas like San Juan Del Sur, Granada or Laguna De Apoyo.

Room Tip: All 4 cabins are great
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank robert h
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I can hardly describe the phenomenal experience that my boyfriend and I were provided when staying at Mombacho Lodge..sitting on the front porch of our private cabin listening to the cicadas, watching howler monkeys swing from tree to tree, drinking a few Toñas, (Cynthia has a full bar!) and relishing in the remarkable forest surrounding us. A visit to Mombacho Lodge was exactly what our Nicaraguan adventure needed. Cynthia was impeccably hospitable and prepared delicious and fresh meals for us during our stay. During the full day we spent on Mombacho, we hiked around the volcano and in the national park and saw some incredible views. Cynthia had even prepared lunches for us to take with us on our hike. The cabins were cozy and comfortable while also not letting you forget you are in nature! It was like camping but definitely much more comfortable with a shower, toilet, sink and scrumptious food made fresh by Cynthia! Cynthia is very knowledgeable about the plants, trees and animals on her property. Her dogs, Ally and Fritz were so much fun to be around, and with Fritz on the watch, you will always feel safe! Overall, the experience we had at Mombacho was one I will never forget and will be wanting to share with many others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My first trip to Nicaragua introduced me to people who welcomed me everywhere I went with a smile, repeatedly, proudly told me their country was sane and secure, invariably would offer a suggestion that I visit a place they found particularly special, easily engaged me in interesting and insightful conversation, and inevitably provided me with an incredibly delicious and nutritious meal.
The stunning natural beauty I encountered as I traveled from the mountains of Esteli to the Pacific shores of Playa Roca and on to the crater created splendor of Laguna de Apoyo and finally to the majesty of Mombacho Volcano, with stops in Managua, Leon and Granada did not prepare me for what I experienced at Mombacho Lodge.
All the superlatives I encountered in the country were wrapped up into 1 night completely off the grid, disconnected from civilization and in the midst of an incredibly diverse population of flora and fauna, some of which have never been scientifically identified and some which may not live anywhere else on earth while leaving a barely perceptible footprint.
The rooms of Mombacho Lodge offer something that can not be found anywhere else on earth and after being there, I want to go back1

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank spreadingash

Been to Mombacho Lodge? Share your experiences!