“Wish we could have stayed longer”

Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Conneaut Lake
Reviewed 16 November 2011

After reading some of the comments posted here my husband & I considered cancelling our reservation at the Hotel Conneaut, but we really wanted to spend some time back at the place where we first met (anyone remember the Cow Shed?) so we stuck with our original plans. We are certainly glad we did. It’s hard to believe that we were in the same hotel as some of the other posters. The furnishings in both the lobby and adjacent sitting room are so authentic that you feel as though you have just stepped back in time. There was a wedding reception going on in the ballroom, which is absolutely gorgeous. We loved exploring the park, walking along the boardwalk, and the lake is always beautiful.

We were greeted immediately upon our arrival at the reception desk. True, the reservation system is not computerized, but we were checked in within 10 minutes and on our way to our room, which had been upgraded from a lake view to a suite at no additional charge. I must admit I do think the room charges are a bit high and we would certainly not have reserved a suite at the prices being charged. The room was delightful – a spacious, two-bedroom suite, with sitting area, full kitchen and a completely modern bath. The rooms were clean and light and newly painted, with mini-blinds at all the windows, comfortable beds with nice bedding, thick & fluffy towels in the bath. The large kitchen had a granite countertop, a double, deep basin stainless steel sink, with a large refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker & toaster – all fairly new and in working order, and lots of cabinets. The dishes and silverware were new sets, as were all of the other kitchen accessories. There was a table and chairs in the kitchen, a chair and sofa bed in the living area, and a television with a large choice of channels. The food and service in the restaurant (Elizabeth’s) were exceptional (fantastic homemade soups & deserts), and the prices were reasonable.

I will fault the hotel on their housekeeping staff, which does appear to be a problem. We were guests for two nights and never saw any sign of a housekeeping person. Although we did not mind the beds not being made and had ample towels for the two days, it would have been nice to at least have the garbage emptied. Unfortunately, there was no one at the reception desk the morning that we checked out so that we could have told them directly.

Of course, there are some areas of the hotel which still need to be refurbished, and I imagine not all of the rooms are as newly refinished as ours. It will take years and mega-dollars before this grand lady is restored to her original state. I admire all of those who are working so hard to bring Conneaut Lake Park and Hotel Conneaut back to life. It holds such special memories for many of us. We wish them luck and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Drop your luggage off at the front entrance. It will save you carting it up the stairs from the par...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alfiesdad2417
There are newer reviews for Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park

Reviewed 3 October 2011

I just came back from working at the volunteer weekend at Conneaut Lake Park and staying for two nights at the Hotel Conneaut. I remember as a child wanting to stay there, it looked so elegant. I was excited to be able to stay there as an adult at least. Several times I have checked prices for a weekend stay and had found them to be what I thought was a little high for the area and I had heard the stories of no tv's or air conditioning and to avoid the complaints of my husband have always avoided the place. Since I would be travelling alone this time and they offer such a great rate to those helping, I decided to try it. Driving up, I did notice the sad state of the exterior, but I know that they are working on it and the lobby looked wonderful. I did have to wait to find a person to check me in and was left in the lobby alone for what seemed like an eternity. Charming? Trusting? Trying to keep a positive note going here. Checked in to my room and while I have to say it was pretty clean, it was old and not in an "antique" old sort of way, more of a 1970's old way. I did not have a view, but again, a great rate for the volunteers and I felt sure that they were not going to give us their "best" rooms. The staff was very friendly though, very helpful and very informative. It felt like staying in someone's home. The restaurant was great, the staff there was very nice and I thought that the food was really good. I loved the location, right in the park, right beside the lake, very convenient! If you are looking for cushy amenities though, don't stay here. A piece of history? Enjoy it! I do feel that some of the rates are a little pricey for the type of rooms that they are and it is sad to hear all the complaints about refunds not being made. Personally, I have high hopes for this park and hotel to reorganize and return to some of it's former glory. It is such a great place and a piece of history. So many of these places and hotels are being gobbled up by cookie cutter hotels and condos, it would be wonderful to see this place shine again. Give them some time and space, they are trying!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Cathy S
Reviewed 13 September 2011

When I first entered my room I thought "how nice, they leave cookies for their guests." Soon i realized they were left by a previous guest. At check in, I (and other guests) was told that the room wasn't ready yet, but I could put my luggage in the room. 5 hours later, the room still had dirty towels, not soap and trash in the room, but the assured me that they would get to it. As I was preparing to go to bed later, still without towels or soap and with the same trash in the cans, I pondered whether the bed linen had been changed or the previous guests made the bed.

On two floors, housecleaning carts overflowing with dirty linen and towels were left in the hallways. On one floor, the housecleaning room was open, but there were no clean towels there either.

I was not the only one with similar complaints. Others found people already in their rooms or that they were not given the room they reserved.

Of course at night there was no desk clerk to complain to and in the morning there was no desk clerk to complain to or even check out.

Don't expect to get a refund from them!

This is an old hotel which requires some concessions due to its age and history, but that is no excuse for the lack of the basic necessities. It has great potential with someone with the money to restore it correctly and who is not looking just to make a buck.

Room Tip: This an old hotel, don't expect showers, air conditioning or TV in all the rooms. The cost for r...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank BuyerBeware U
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Until they are updated and the property is cleared of all hazards, the property owners should not be allowed to accept money for renting rooms here. The website is terribly misleading. The staff was nice but it was clear they were taking all of the complaints from the guests and none of the managers or owners were on site to deal with any of these issues. We left to stay somewhere else and were refused a refund even though we brought our issues to the attention of the staff and management within 5 minutes of our card being swiped for $450. We stayed at the Hampton Inn for $200 LESS. The rooms are dirty and this place is full of mold. The exterior is in complete shambles. There are about a dozen code violations we spotted as we walked through the property. We found a cup that was used as a chewing tobacco spittoon next to a chair in our room upon check in. Friends of ours found old candy bar wrappers on the window sills, old shoes under their beds, etc., it's clear these rooms are not being cleaned or cleaned properly in between guests. There were no mattress covers or protectors on the pull-out. We were given one sheet that wasn't large enough to cover the mattress, and it was filthy and full of holes, along with old, filthy, stained "pillows." The ball room, restaurant, and restrooms are updated and nice. The new "suites" have huge stains on the carpet and furniture and the suites smelled strongly of sawdust.

Room Tip: Go to a Hampton Inn. Or anywhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank BA523
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We were very excited to stay there with my husband and 4 year old son. Greg called us back after telling us that the hotel was full saying that he had a room for us.
Without even getting inside, the hotel looked in terrible conditions. Very worn down, some rooms were boarded up, and there was debris around some areas.
Once we got to the reception area there was a sign saying, pardon our looks, we're renovating, so I decided to give them the benefit of doubt and asked for our room.
The reservation was nowhere to be found. It took them a bit to get us a room, from a no show. When we got to our room, it was clearly NOT a no show. The room was busy.
We went downstairs again and they gave us another room with no view but AC and TV, at $114 (they said they were not charging extra for the TV or AC).
It's not that the room had no view, it had view to garbage and debris. It was very worn.
It was clean though, but we didn't open the beds.
We took a look at the hallway and the carpets were dirty and smelly and cables were running over us in the roof. I wonder if this was a fire hazard.
Luckily they refunded our money and we left, but it was pretty disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank CMN72
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We made a reservation here because all the hotels near Allegheny college were booked. We should have seen their was a problem with this "hotel" when they said that our reservation was non refundable!!!!!! We waited a good 20 minutes to even check in, because their is no computerized reservation system. When we finally got the key to our room, we had to carry our luggage up 2 flights of stairs to our room, the hallway itself was disgusting, with dirty linens left all over and dirty filty carpeting throughout. We get into our room and that was where total shock hit us. The room was teenie tiny with an old bed with wornout linens and a hole infested quilt covering the very old mattress and rickety old bed. The window had a dirty lace curtain but no blind on it, what it did have was a frame that was barely attached to the building and a screen completely covered with insects,cocoons and dirt. The closet was non existent with enough room to hang one shirt if there was a hanger. The bathroom was appauling! The sink was filthy, the wall behind the toilet was falling apart, the flooring was one big patchwork of obvious repairs and the dirty tub HAD NO SHOWER!!!!!!! The door to the room had a panel above it that cranked out to the hallway that did not work so you felt like anyone walking down the hallway was in your room, mind you there was no air,1 outlet, no phone and a VERY old TV that I cannot even tell you if it worked because we were out of here!!!! We went down to the front desk to ask for our money back and was told the manager was not here and it would be at least 3 hours until he was around. We left our phone number and expected a phone call if not that night than the next day. 5 days and still no call. Save your money, DO NOT STAY HERE, the pictures they show are not a fair representation of this filthy dusty rundown hotel.

Room Tip: There are no
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
13  Thank ldegeus
Reviewed 1 August 2011

this place was so nasty and dirty lost money on room because we left and stay somewhere else. the owner greg is so rude someone really needs to shut this place down and call the health dept.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
#4 of 5 in Meadville
Days Inn Conneaut
Days Inn Conneaut
#2 of 2 in Conneaut

Been to Hotel Conneaut at Conneaut Lake Park? Share your experiences!