“Homestyle, Value, Homemade,Service”
Review of Tom's Kitchen

Tom's Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Conyngham
Reviewed 26 June 2014

In spite of the other reviews, we decided to give this place a try. We were more than prepared to leave at the first sign that the other reviewers(?) were correct. Why? It just didn't seem that a place celebrating their 40th year could be bad. We were seated by our hostess. There are booths (some with padding), tables, and a counter. The decor was country and charming. Our server, Morgan was delightful! When asked about different menu items, she told us her preferences (which were many) and that everything was at least good. We had the meatball hoagie (strange choice, I know, but sometimes you have a craving) turkey club, truly large d.pepsi, fries, mashed potatoes, gravy. We did not have any "salt" issues with anything. And I, never, EVER add salt to anything that I cook. The meatballs were homemade with a nice sauce. Mozzarella cheese was melted on top and served hot. Sandwich was made with real turkey, fresh produce and nicely toasted white bread. The seats were low, but not worn, dirty or old. For desert, we had banana cream pie (fantastic!) and blueberry pie (not too sweet, but enough that you can taste the blueberries). Coffee was hot and good. Our total tab was $30! And for very good (meatballs) to excellent (turkey & banana cream). Our server was as good as you can get. Friendly, personable, and efficient. Overall, our experience was as good as can be expected and better. "Home cooking" is not filet mignon, wild mushroom reduction with truffle shavings over pancetta, raspberry torte. It's about good, tasty (mild, usually), filling food. We were more than satisfied. So much so, we went back again! Take my word for it. This is a stop to make! The food, decor and staff make it a pleasant, leisurely, fulfilling visit. Daily specials are great also (tomorrow).

3  Thank Levi S

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were traveling on I-80 and looking for someplace that's not a chain…well this is definitely not. And, I'll take ANY chain over this any day!

The setup is very strange. The booth tables were high enough that I could just lean over slightly and eat right off the plate, as if at a pie eating contest (I didn't). There's an aisle between the tables that the waitress is corralled in. She needs to lean over a wall to bring/take away food or clean the tables. From the look of it, she couldn't reach the far end of the tables to wipe them. Someone probably thought this was innovative when they build it, but uncomfortable and inefficient are words that come to my mind.

The service was basic. Not overly anything.

Then to food…salt, lots of salt. My husband had the hot roast beef & I tried to eat the hot turkey. I assume they call the "hot" rather than "open-faced" because you're really just getting 2 untoasted slices of white bread - and not enough meat to be equal to one slice of white bread. It's assembled as a sandwich and covered in gravy. It came with battered french fries or a golf ball sized dollop of mashed potato, no vegetable. I will say no one could/should consume the level of salt in that gravy. My husband thought I had to be exaggerating so he tried my mashed potatoes and nearly spit them out. She asked if I wanted to take it home. I just couldn't eat it. My stomach still hurts.

1  Thank amethyst1875
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

This was a pleasant, clean little spot. The decaf coffee served was freshly made if a bit weak to my palate.
My companion found he was not a fan of the scrapple he tried (for his first time), nor the French toast (too dry) or the hot chocolate (pre-packaged). I must say however, that WE ARE PICKY foodies....
The kielbasa was tasty and satisfactory. The eggs (sunny side up) went very well with the lightly buttered whole wheat toast. I also enjoyed the bit of hash browns fried in salted onion & garlic bits.
Portions were generous. Prices reasonable.

1  Thank VaporK8
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Stopped on our Drive from
New york to Michigan.
Very local place with good food and friendly service. Worth the two mile hike off I80!

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We also found Tom's by a sign on I80. If you're traveling across Pennsylvania there aren't many places to stop. The meatloaf was great, my turkey less so. The staff was friendly and efficient, service quick.

2  Thank Linda and Joe C