“food still great”

Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“food still great”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Tonys' have been around since it was a "hot spot" 40 yrs ago.
Food is still great, menu changes often, service good, even for a special night.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Helen B

Lebanon, PA
“Still our favorite”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We have been dining at Tony’s with another couple for the past few years, and my wife and I have dinner there weekly. The food has always been high quality, and the servers have always been courteous and attentive. I reviewed Tony’s in November, 2011, and my opinion hasn’t changed. The food, service, and atmosphere are still excellent.

The other night (February 16) was our “Valentine’s” dinner, and we went to Tony’s with our friends. The dinner was well prepared, and the service was, as always, courteous and efficient, considering the large crowd that filled the house. Everything was fine until 7 P.M. That was when the “customer from h***” showed up, two tables from us. The couple was seated at a table normally used by four people, and immediately the woman started complaining. First, she didn’t like the table. The woman was offered another location – several times – but she declined. She then spent the next hour plus complaining about the food, insulting one of the servers, and making several other patrons uncomfortable. I’m not sure how something like this is best handled, but the owner and servers could do nothing to satisfy the woman. At the end, the woman said that she wanted to be “comped”. When she and her friend left, there were several remarks from other tables about her behavior.

She stated that she would post a bad review on TripAdvisor, and would have her friends do the same. I looked today, and see that she has already posted. A friend of hers is possibly here too (Posted Feb. 17 & 18), although there was nobody with her except the gentleman. Therefore, I feel it’s necessary to re-state my opinion of Tony’s, offering a balance against a customer who wouldn’t be satisfied unless the meal was free.

3 Thank EakinsLebanon_PA
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“Awesome Everything!”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I read the previous review, about the couple that dined here on Saturday night after Valentines day and was very upset. We also we there that same evening, and had an amazing experience. It was our first time here and I cant say enough about this place. We were greeted at the door by a very nice woman who also seated us, we later found out she was the owner. Our waitress was very accomodating to all our needs, and very informative. We ordered the crab cakes as well and the Filet also, both dinners were amazingly good. The ambiance was very romantic, it was a very busy Saturday night and we still got the best service we could have asked for. All our food came out in a timely manner and overall this one of the best experiences we had ever had dining out. To the previous review....Im sorry you had such a terrible evening, but Tonys is an awesome place, and the staff is very professional. To everyone else, you've got to try this restaurant for yourself because I have a feeling you will have a great expereince, as we had!

2 Thank Mary B
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced, but excellent service”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Four of us went to Tony's in February. I can say one thing, the service was EXCELLENT. I am sorry the food wasn't. The portions were small, the food was barely warm an it just wasn't that good. The prices are ridiculous. How often do you have to pay for ambiance. I went there about 12 years ago and go a steak that was just gristle. That is why we didn't go back. We thought we would try it again. I now have learned my lesson. Don't waste your time and money

1 Thank cycletaz
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
“Stay Away Three!!!”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I have lived in the area for most of my 62 years. My parents knew Tony Cek when this restaurant first opened and they spent most Friday nights there bringing friends for the excellent steaks and quality of the food, beautiful place. My girls had dinners there pre prom and pre homecoming dances etc, and raved about it, but I never had the opportunity to dine here. I was so excited when my boyfriend suggested we spend a romantic evening the Sat after Valentine's day. We got dressed up and I was anticipating a beautiful evening. When we arrived, the woman at the podium said we didn't have a reservation, I said, "oh no"...and she rifled through some papers, said well maybe it was written wrong, does your phone number begin with 507.."yes", oh ok...so she takes us into a lovely dining room and sits us at a table that is so large we can't even hold hands across it. I said "gee, I can't even talk to you". The table was a very odd size, obviously made for a larger party, but too big for a party of 2..and off she went. There were 3 small intimate tables for 2 that were open, oh well. So my boyfriend tried to move his chair around the one end of the table, but it wasn't made to have a chair there. A not too pleasant waitress said, "yea, that doesn't work, you can't put your chair there" My boyfriend was embarrassed and said, yes, I wasn't trying to be in the way, and I can see the chair doesn't fit under the table here." There was no offer of any solution to our seating issue, and the waitress walked away. So, I took my chair to the other side of the table and sat right next to him, as the table was obviously made for 4. I was fine with this, but unfortunately we were facing the open intimate tables . We ordered drinks from a very pleasant waitress. The other not pleasant waitress stopped and said, "did she tell you about the drink specials?" in a tone that made us realize she was not happy with the sweet waitress, and we said, "I believe so" She replied, "well, it's only the two of us on this side so I guess she did" and off she went. We just laughed to ourselves. We waited and about 10 min later the glass of wine appeared, but the "special Cupid's drink" didn't arrive for another 10 min. 20 minutes for a drink to arrive in a small dining room... ok, well, The "hostess" seated someone else and stopped and said, "are you seated ok now" as she obvious noticed I moved to the other side of the table. I grabbed her hand and squeezed it and said, "This is our first Valentine's day together. We met in elementary school and after 50 years we met and fell in love. It is a beautiful love story for two 62 year olds." I was gushing, like I do when I speak about our relationship. She said, "that's lovely" and walked away. I was happy to share our happiness with her. I kept staring at this corner table, small and intimate with no one seated. We sat there and no one payed much attention to us. I said, "I am very disappointed" and the table of 4 next to us remarked, Yes, I would be too. When our nice waitress was walking by, I stopped her and inquired if we could move to a smaller intimate table, and she said she would check. Out of no where, the other loud waitress appeared, "look, we never use this table, I know it's a terrible table, but those tables are reserved for our customers who come here all the time. They requested those tables. There is nothing I can do, I tried, and there isn't anything else." She announced this to the entire dining room and we were mortified. I noticed that we had no cheese and crackers that were placed at the empty tables and mentioned it to my boyfriend. The 4 people at the next table said, "you can have ours"...no, that's ok, I will ask the waitress. The nice waitress now appears with our salads after a long wait, and I said, "please, let's just pay the tab and go". I knew it was only going to go downhill and everyone was staring at us, including the hostess from afar. My boyfriend verbalized how disappointed we were in our seats, and couldn't understand why we couldn't sit at another table or have waited for an open table. He was concerned that it was Sat night and we wouldn't find another place to eat...I suggested Burger King at this point, but told him we coud stay if that's what he wanted. So, we told the waitress we would stay and started to eat our salads. She was very nice and did all she could within her power to be a great waitress. Then the hostess lady came to us and said, "you can move to that table if you want to" as everyone stared at us again, to which my boyfriend who is very laid back and quiet said, "no, that's ok, we are settled in now and eating we don't want to pick up everything and move" Then she announced to the room, "well, I understand you want your bill and you are leaving" Again, mortified, I said, no, we told the waitress we have decided to stay. we are ok, and we are staying". My boyfriend mentioned that he had called the previous week for reservations, and she announced, "people start calling a year ahead of time for Valentine's Day, and they specifically request this table, that table, that table." I said, "I understand that 2/14 is a very busy day for restaurants, but this is Saturday and your waitress told us that you never use this table," :"We use this table all the time" "well, we would have liked to have had some bread or cheese or crackers like every other table has" "Of course, cheese and crackers", and she takes it from the intimate table, still awaiting the special couple "Look, I offered you that table and you didn't want it.Those tables are reserved a year in advance by our regular customers and they are late. I offered you that table and you didn't want it, and we aren't treating you any different"." She walked away. The wine was good, the Cupid's drink was delicious. Salads usual fare. I asked for the other specialty drink that the waitress said I should try as it was "excellent". She was very sweet and said, sure, and I saw her put the order into the bartender who was just a few feet away.
I had decided to order the "award winning" crab cakes, as I love crab. The menu was a set menu for Valentine's day with few choices. When I ordered the "award winning" crab cakes, I was told that rice came with it. I asked if I could have something other than rice as I don't like rice. "Well, I dont' know, as the chef only makes so many portions, and the potatoes go with the beef and the rice goes with the seafood, but I will check"...ok, what if I were allergic to rice? Waiting for our meals, another 20 minutes goes by, no strawberry infused sangria has arrived as ordered, our water glasses were empty, and we felt like we were being treated like second rate diners.
Our meals arrive, still no sangria, and I was shocked. My crabcakes are just as Elaine S describes, 3 rounds black burned balls. Inside there was no evidence of crab, just filler and mush. Mrs. Paul makes better crab cakes. Perhaps I am spoiled by our many trips to Disney and the excellent service and food, or the excellent restaurants in Lancaster. I thought "award winning" crab cakes meant broiled crab meat for $27 in Lebanon County. They were inedible, but I didn't complain. Green beans a little slimey, but good, smashed potatoes ok, same as any other restaurant. My boyfriend's "filet Mignon" was not filet, as it was stringy and tough. When it arrived, the sweet waitress said, "I am sorry we don't have any clean steak knives but I will bring you one". Oh boy, it only gets worse. The meat was more like a sirloin, for $30, again in Lebanon County. Now the special drink of sangria finally arrives...and it looks like water. I tasted it and said, oh my this is horrible to my boyfriend. He tasted it, and said, yes, it is all water. So, I stopped the sweet waitress and told her that the drink was water and requested to have the Cupid's drink instead. "Sure, I am so sorry" again, very sweet. We were completely finished with our meals, and the drink finally arrives. Since we ate almost nothing she asked if we wanted a to go box...no, but thank you. Here we are ready to leave and my drink has finally arrived, and the table we had been staring at was still empty. I had had enough.
I walked up to the podium and asked the lady if I could have a card with the owner's name so that I could write a letter about our dining experience. She became very haughty and had such a condescending attitude...just stared at me and a tall, rather plain looking man with a miserable expression appeared behind her. She began to states loudly" Look, I offered you that table and you didn't want it" I again asked who the owners were and she handed me a card and said "you are talking to her and this is my husband" So I said, social graces would tell you not to tell someone that you don't have a reservation for them and rifle through papers which was very upsetting to me. She denied this loudly, and I said, you saw my reaction, right? Oh no!
I explained to her that my parents were friends of Tony Cek and supported his restaurant in the early years and that I was so excited to come here on this special occasion. That the son of Mr Cek was a year behind me in school, Rosie Cek was an RN I had worked with years ago, and that I was really looking forward to this night. Again, she was loud, rude and kept insisting that they did nothing wrong. I pointed out that the special reserved table was still open and we were now leaving to which she replied, "they are running late". It was a horrible scene and everyone is now looking and the large man walks around the podium and is in my personal space. He is yelling at me something about good service and I responded with, "award winning crab was nothing more than burned Mrs. Paul's and that filet was a sirloin passed off as filet and you have treated your patrons rudely. I woudl have expected an offer of a comped meal" and he became enraged and yelled into my face 6 inches away"everyone wants a comp meal, everyone wants a comp meal" i said, I don't need a comp meal, I can pay for my meals, and our discussion is over. I am done. The woman said, "sure you will dis us like everyone else" to which I said, "obviously this was the worst experience I have ever had" And then the man opens the front door of the restaurant and says, "here, I will open the door and you can get out"....I am just astonished at this point, that the "owners" are acting like this, thinking they must be mentally ill or something, and I said, "no, I am going to the rest room.
Went back to the table where my boyfriend was finishing up the bill, and we added 20% for the sweet waitress, apologized to her and told her that none of this was her fault, she apologized and said she was so sorry for the entire evening.
As we walked out quietly arm in arm, the woman yelled from the bar, "HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY"... we said nothing.
Need I say more? Unbelievable behavior, attitude, worst food, over priced, slow service, terrible drink, and I want to forget this ever happened. DO NOT bother to go to this restaurant. While it was once one of the best in the area with beautiful atmosphere and superb food, it is nothing more than a fancy over priced bad diner with rude, unprofessional people in charge.

9 Thank Susan B
JLK211, Owner at TONY'S MINING COMPANY RESTAURANT, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Tony's Mining Company Restaurant has been a family owned and operated business for 39 years. Therefore; we must have done something right for all those years!

Owners, Management and Staff bend over backwards to accomodate our guests needs and requests.

Susan B refused all the accomodations we offerd her.

As Susan B left the premises, she advised that she would ask her friends to write bad reviews as well as her self.

Readers: Take her review with a grain of salt!