“Flavorless Entrees”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
“Flavorless Entrees”
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

Growing up in the area, Tonys was the place to go in the 80's. The decor of the place hasn't changed, and that's actually a great thing. The dark restaurant, bright copper tables and large fireplace are still the same, and as someone who has been away for many years, it is nostalgic and cozy.

The food however was a different story. I was so hoping that on my recent trip the food would match my fond memories. It did not. I was stunned at how bland it was. As members of our group took bites of our entrees we all reached for the salt shaker. Our appetizers were adequate, salads were over dressed but the entrees just didn't cut it. This place reminds me of the exact type of restaurant Gordon Ramsey would go into and overhaul.....but just the menu. Our server was very nice. Management was very friendly, but the kitchen needs some basic lessons on seasoning food. Everyone in our party agreed in that. Our side dishes were good, but main items like steak and seafood were extremely bland with no sauce. When the server asked us if we needed A1 steak sauce or Worcestershire sauce for our filets, I found it a bit odd. I think it shows that it must be requested often to help add some flavor. I think if this place can work with its culinary team on the basics they will see more people coming in. As someone who lives in Harrisburg, I don't know that I will choose this restaurant again. Nikos has much better seasoned food. For nostalgia sake, I wish they could improve because I would give them another chance.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Mtgretnafan

Denver, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Mixed reviews of this restaurant kept my expectations at bay. Took my wife for a late dinner on Saturday night 4/13/13. Such a shame. They appear to have the right idea, but just don't finish. The service was ok, polite and quick.
A small bowl of spread cheese was on the table when we arrived, along with cracker packets (some previously opened!). A little lame if you ask me. We ordered the "special" appetizer, fried asparagus. I counted 8 spears. Really? Good thing it was just the 2 of us. Both of our salads were drowned in dressing, we couldn't finish them. We were served warm bread right before our meals arrived. My wife ordered the Filet Marsala; flavorless except for the entire cloves of garlic. I had the fish special, 4 pieces of different fish, all cooked the same (again, flavorless). I consider myself a decent critic of seafood, as I order it regularly. The halibut was BAD. Not unfavorable, BAD. One bite and I knew. After telling the waitress, she said: "sometimes you just get a bad piece of fish". Gee, thanks. I don't normally expect a discount on food, but an apology would have been nice. I got neither.
We won't be back.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank asmiller429
Wernersville, Pennsylvania
“off our list”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

What a shame this place has so much potential. Our service was very good, the food a BIG disappointment. Bland tasting really nothing special. For that kind of money I should have been blown away. My husband son and I all had the same review.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank lorettai988
Reinholds, Pennsylvania
“Dinner was wonderful!”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

My husband and I treated my boss to a late Christmas gift, dinner at Tony's on tues 3/4. Was wonderful. Restaurant was empty but I think that was b/c of a forecast of snow. Anyway, very good foot, very sweet waitress. My husband had the pork special, my boss the bass special and both were pleased. I had the spinach salad and 2 Martinis. You got to try the fruit punch martini (it has another name but I can't remember). DELICIOUS!

I must admit I was a little hesitant to go b/c of some of the reviews posted here but ended up being very pleased with our visit.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank brummy497
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“food still great”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Tonys' have been around since it was a "hot spot" 40 yrs ago.
Food is still great, menu changes often, service good, even for a special night.

Visited February 2013