“So Loud Police Were Called!”

Hyatt Place Cranberry
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“So Loud Police Were Called!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

To sum it up, the staff doesn't seem to care. During my 4 night stay, I encountered many problems. The biggest, obviously was noise - the 3rd night. As I pulled into the parking lot at 10pm the 3rd night. A "party bus" pulls up and 30 loud, drunk people staggered off the bus and into the hotel. Scared, but sleepy enough to face this mob, I made my way to the lobby. The drunks thought it was funny to blow smoke in my face as I entered. From the lobby I could hear elevator alarms going off. I made my way to my room, but part of this roudy group was staying on MY floor in the same wing! The parents were so drunk, they let the kids run up and down the halls hitting the elevator alarms - and the adults were loud and were shouting down the hall from several different opened room doors. I called the front desk to figure out what on earth was going on and to complain about the noise. They said it was a wedding party (I found out the wedding wasn't even held at this hotel) and that the group was split between TWO floors (including mine -even though I had asked for a quiet room). Really? Why didn't they put them on the same floor as to not disturb the other guests? After hours of constant noise - now it was 2:30 in the morning, I kept calling the front desk. They came up a few times to tell the group to be quiet, but after the staff left, the group got louder. I guess I wasn't the only guest who couldn't sleep because of the noise, I peaked my head out the door and saw a police officer telling several members of the group to quiet down. Thankfully, that worked...until 6 am that SAME morning. The part of the group that I assume was from the other floor started knocking on almost every door SHOUTING, "Room service," as they ran down the hallway. I called down to the front desk, ready to pack up and switch hotels, but found out that group was getting ready to check out. So, they were willing to give up everyone's sleep just to accommodate a group that only stayed for ONE night?! Never have I encountered anything so absurd!

The staffs' indifference didn't end there. I noticed dog poop on the sidewalk as I left for a meeting. I called the front desk to alert them. When I returned several hours later, the dog poop was still there. I walked up to the front desk and asked them why they didn't remove it. When they saw i wasn't leaving until it was addressed, they told me they'd take care of it. I literally had to stand over them like a parent and watch them put on gloves and remove the "obstruction." I love animals, but if you have a "pet-friendly" hotel you have to make sure that those of us who don't have pets don't step in, or even see poop.

The other issue was maintenance. The room I had was one with a roll-in shower. I wondered why the room smelled so musty - I soon discovered why. When you turn on the shower, the water doesn't drain properly. I'm not talking puddles - you literally had to wear tennis shoes to tred through the water and even then my shoes got soaked! From the shower, the water made its way around the back of the toilet and finally into the secondary drain in the middle of the floor. Letting it drain on its own took all night. I finally had to use 4 scrunched up bath-sized towels to redirect the water to the secondary drain - and still had to use the towels to mop up the extra water EVERY time I wanted to shower. Upon checkout I mentioned the problem, but the staff just gave me a blank stare and said, "Oh."

I cannot recommend this hotel and will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Asking for a quiet room doesn't seem to help. Ask if they have any groups coming during your sta...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Global_Thinker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We've always wanted to stay here on visits to Cranberry but the price was always much higher than other options. We stayed there last weekend and were pleasantly surprised. Rooms are a little older (if you want a newer one, choose Candelwood Suites across the street) but have kitchenettes with fridge, good hairdryer, walk-in shower and are large. Breakfast buffet was good with eggs, sausage, etc. We'd stay here again....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

I NEVER have given a rating of 5 across the board but our stay at the Hyatt Place Cranberry compelled me to do so.

We stayed over a weekend for a softball tournament. Our organization had reserved a block of 90 or so rooms!! We arrived in town a little over an hour before check-in time and they had no problem with us checking in early. The rooms are huge. Beds were extremely comfortable although the bedding/linens were too thin. The 42" TV and audio visual connections for a laptop or gaming system was cool also.

The breakfast spread was awesome. The hotel even opened it up an hour earlier than normal because of the many early morning games and practices that we needed to get to. Weekend breakfast is usually 7am but they had it ALL ready at 6am.

A few other pluses include the many restaurants in the area, access to the PA Turnpike and I79, are just a few mentionables.

Great stay. Highly recommend. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank kimmie0626
Mars, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days while our home was having work done. It is a nice hotel with excellent value proposition. The breakfast bar was a hit with our family. They had a wide selection and varied it each day. The service was very good and the staff did nice job of attending to our needs. One suggestion would be to ask for a room that does not face the interstate. The location is awesome, but our room faced the PA Turnpike and it was a little noisy during the night. All in all a very nice Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Turnpike
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stay at this location when we visit family. This is the 3rd time we have stayed at this hotel. The rooms are large and have a seperate area with a couch, refrigerator, and sink. the beds were very comfortable. The only negative is the very small bathroom.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

I confirmed twice at checkout to have the bill split. Both charges were applied to my card and funds were held on the other. When handling other people's money this is unacceptable. It was not busy at checkout and the morning front desk person should not have made this error. Also the blanket in the room had something that looked like glue on it and I set it on the couch for the maid to replace. She was going to put it back on the shelf as is until I asked her to replace it. I put instructions on the card to clean our room before noon and they were ignored. I was working in the room on the phone and the maid started vacuuming. Also I asked the maid to bring new covers and for two days no one offered to replace them. Having worked before in housekeeping and front desk I could not recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Echa P
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Located near the junction of interstates 76 and 79 north of Pittsburgh this hotel is a real gem. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and spacious. The breakfast is well above average. The weekend rates are a real bargain.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family