“No frills but very clean”

Candlewood Suites Pittsburgh Cranberry
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Cranberry Township
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“No frills but very clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have been staying at Candlewood Cranberry Township for eight nights on an extended stay status for my job. It isn't as luxurious as some of the other options in the area but it suits my needs well. You walk in the lobby and immediately you can tell the place is no frills, but everything is clean and new. The workout area/pool are well maintained but small-ish. The room is on the small side but it's so clean you could eat off the floor. The kitchenette works well and everything is up to date (no ancient appliances or gross looking things). My only complaint with the kitchen is it would be nice if they provided more pans/pots to cook with, and they only give you two forks, two spoons, etc. Dishwasher is super loud so don't make the mistake of running it before you go to bed. Bathroom is good, water pressure/temps are great. Bed is average in comfort. The temp can be hard to control. Seems like it's either stuffy or blasting cold air. The AC unit is a bit loud but I've gotten used to it. I rarely will walk barefoot on hotel carpet but this is so clean I don't think twice about it. Above average tv channel selection. One complaint-- I do not like having maid service only once a week. It's annoying to have to haul your trash downstairs or go get towels. Two or three times a week would be a huge improvement. Location is very convenient to highway and places to eat. The walls must be well insulated because you can't hear a peep from the other rooms. So far the staff have been very friendly, but when I initially called to inquire about the best available rate, the guy was unhelpful and dumped me into someone's voicemail. I almost didn't stay here because of that, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. I am satisfied with my stay and would return.

Room Tip: High floor is quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Scotland, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

After a long day of driving, we pulled off the road and asked at a gas station for any hotel with a pool. They recommended Candlewood Suites and I could not be happier they did. The desk staff has been nothing but friendly and outgoing. Actually, everyone on staff has been helpful and outgoing.

The rooms are spacious, clean, and quiet. The beds are wonderful to sleep in. There is even a recliner for watching the free DVD's that you can borrow from the front desk. Yes, there is a DVD player! Each room has a full sized fridge, stove top, fully stocked cupboards, and a microwave with a complementary pack of microwave popcorn.

The amenities don't stop there though! You can relax in the pool and hot tub. Work out in the exercise room that is always open. You can even do a load of laundry in the FREE washer and dryer - all you need to do is provide detergent, which you can purchase if you didn't think to bring any (like me). There is also a little "corner store" that has food, snacks, drinks, and other miscellaneous items at a pretty reasonable price.

I can't say enough about this place. If I ever see another one, it will be my first choice for a place to stay. Thanks folks!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I lived in the Candlewood for the better part of 9 months while working in Western Pennsylvania. The staff are fantastic and did everything they could to make my stay away from home pleasant. With just a little encouragement one can get suggestions on the sightseeing choices in Pittsburgh or adjacent areas.
Rooms were clean and I felt very secure. Several good restaurants in close proximity.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Helena, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

I wound up staying here for approximately 2 weeks during a trip to Pennsylvania. The rooms are very nice with kitchens in them. I had a full size fridge to put groceries in and a small stovetop to cook on. They supply all the silverware, dishes, and pots and pans you need. There's also a complimentary bag of popcorn in the microwave for you. This hotel seems newer. Everything is in great/like new condition. The pool and hot tub were always clean with perfect water temperature. They have a small store area in this hotel which is very convenient and reasonably priced to purchase drinks or food from. The laundry facilities are free to use which is another added benefit. The staff was always very nice and accommodating if I ever needed anything. Another concept I enjoyed was that housekeeping only comes once a week unless you request them sooner. You always have the convenience of getting towels, toiletries or anything else you need at anytime though. I liked this because I get stuck working from my computer a lot and hate having to leave the room every day or get all my things put away whenever housekeeping shows up. At this hotel, it was never a concern. It felt more like home where I'm more in control of what needs done and I really like that. I couldn't have had a better stay here!! If I get back to the area, I would definitely stay here again!! I travel a lot and after my stay here, I'll be searching for Candlewood hotels in my future trips!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I was a bit disappointed in this hotel. The property is fine, there are a number of restaurants within a short walking distance (a sushi place, two fast food- Chipotle and Five Guys), plus Max and Erma's, Bob Evans and Lone Star. And there are a few more just across the street. The rooms are fine, the hotel is pretty new so the faciities are still in good shape but the experience fell a bit flat.

Very little service from the front desk, housekeeping only once a week (which also means you don't get any additional coffee in your room). This also means that you have to find somewhere to put your garbage and your dirty towels between the weekly visits. I also had no dishwasher powder in the room for the first part of my stay so I washed dishes by hand for the first week.

The biggest drawback for me was although they say they have "full kitchens", none of the rooms have ovens. So, generally ok for a shorter term stay if you want to be able to make a breakfast in your room or a light lunch but I wouldn't choose a place like this for a longer term stay or if you want to be able to make a supper in your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. The building is not well soundproofed so the rooms on the lower floors can be...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Colleen98_Sudbury
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Pittsburgh Cranberry, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Colleen98_Sudbury,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I certainly apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
North Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

Not sure when, or if, I have had a better extended stay experience. Candlewood Suites in Cranberry Township, PA is fairly new, well maintained, well run by a very attentive staff, and located in the heart of the west Pittsburgh, PA market area. Taking a holiday break and will then be back there after the first of the year. My home away from home.

Room Tip: Can't tell you because I don't want you requesting my room! :-)
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

We had a King Studio Suite that was very large...full kitchenette, micro/mini stove, refrig, dishwasher, coffee-maker...this property only about 1 yr old so everything looks/feels new...our only surprise was there was no housekeeping service except once/week...it is an extended-stay concept, where you do bed-making, fresh towel exchange, replace used coffee packets, wash used cups/etc...just different from other places...we'd stay there again, but now know what to expect (or not to)...good location with many restaurants near by...we've stayed at several other Cranberry hotels & this is the best!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family