Permit me to preface this review by stating that we've been enjoying this restaurant for almost 15 years now, so I am a little biased. However, that gives us plenty of opportunity to spot areas that could be improved.
1. It's a small parking lot, and the side lot not immediately in front of their building is a lot for a medical practice of some sort. And the medical practice will tow, so carpooling is a good idea.
2. The owner has done a meticulous job in designing/installing a waterfall with fish pond and a cool little stone bridge right over the middle of the pond. The fish appear healthy and perpetually hungry, and there are some good-sized goldies in there that make me want to grab my tackle. There's hanging gardens with trellises overhanging an outdoor seating area that would be better if it didn't adjoin the parking lot. There's also more private outdoor seating on the other side of the building.
3. The interior is mostly functional with adequate seating, ut again the owner's decorative touch shows again with a number of large fish tanks--both fresh and salt water--that are teeming with healthy denizens in brightly-lit tanks built into the center wal. One could find relaxation by staring at all the fish.
4. The staff is friendly and largely informal but respectful, and I enjoy seeing the owner motoring around tending to the operation of his restaurant. English is a bit difficult for one waitress, but overall they're understandable.
5. The bar is immediately off the front door and wraps around a central area that serves as a bar, cash register and pick-up point. It's nominally stocked, so don't expect a lot of variety in selections. I was quite surprised to see that they do carry Johnny Walker red and black. That's a plus.
6. Food is where these guys do well, but again I'll qualify that by saying that there are areas that could be improved, such as:
--The pot-stickers, both steamed and sauteed--are far too doughy. The wonton wraps are just too thick and ruin the texture of the meaty filling. I stongly recommend they use thinner wraps and if they're more expensive, feel free to pass that on because the filling is quite tasty.
--Most of the entrees are almost swimming in sauce. While sauces make or break Chinese cuisine, too much of a good thing is not a good thing.
--My wife says the crab-rangoon tastes like it came out of a box. She's pretty accurate when she makes a statement like that.
--The dessert selections are pretty much non-existant.
Generally, the entrees and soups are solid choices. My personal favorites are:
--Thai basil chicken (I order it with only broccoli and hot-chili oil on the side); the aroma is tremendous and sets the salivary glands off, and the taste is even better. They could cut down a bit on all the basil leaves served with the dish, but this one rocks!
--Steamed chicken. I order this with Hunan sauce on the side and only broccoli with a bit of brown rice. Excellent.
--Chicken sizzler. This is best ordered in because it's served on a hot iron plate that continues to sizzle the entree, creating a nice, seared flavor to the dish. I order this with broccoli, mushrooms (woodears and shitakke), babycorn and steamed white rice.
--General Tso's chicken (of course!). Traditional dish, nothing extraordinary, just a good solid tasty dish with a healthy serving. A little hot-chili oil sprinkled over it makes it dance.
--Sweet n sour chicken. They do a nice job with the chicken and the sauce. I order the sauce on the side, and a little hot-chili oil sprinkled in really transforms the sauce. This too is a good one.
7. Prices are generally what one would expect for the dishes served. Same holds true for bar selections.
I take my work crew there for lunch prhaps once every 3 weeks and everyone really enjoys it. Even their green tea service is good. There is a lunch menu that packages soup and a lunch-sized entree for one price. All said, this is a good, solid, enjoyable place with good selections that wont bust the budget.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.