“Overpriced”

Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: PA Route 390/191
Description: Sand Spring will be closed for the winter of 2014. Check back in the spring and see what we have in store! Since opening in the fall of 2010, Sand Spring Modern Cuisine has been making its mark as one of the more unique dining experiences in the Pocono Mountain region. Sand Spring specializes in innovative cuisine with fresh, flavorful ingredients from local purveyors in a fun, casually elegant setting. Our exceptional food is complimented with superior, attentive service and one of the area's largest wine cellars. In addition to our fine dining menu we offer a unique bar menu highlighting smaller plates setting us apart from traditional restaurants. After a day of shopping or golfing or you just aren't hungry enough for a larger meal, we've got something for you.
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Had been anticipating trying this restaurant. Paid over 40$ for an entree that was so small and over cooked I left hungry. Place was nearly empty and after eating there I think I know why.

1  Thank GEODAL

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Always enjoy our meal here. The service is great from our greeting at the door to our last good bye. The food is great. Always fresh and delightful menu. We look forward to returning!

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We shared a calamari appetizer; it was excellent with their homemade marinara. I had the eggplant parmegiano, my companion had the crab cakes. Both outstanding, but the crab cakes won by a nose. Sadly, we had no room for dessert, as all the desserts are homemade including the ice cream.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

My friends and I were in the Poconos in February for a ski weekend. We were looking for a restaurant that wasn't a chain or tourist trap. The food was excellent and the service was great. The manager was very friendly and ensured we were happy with our experience. It is a small restaurant that has a great atmosphere. If you are looking for a loud and crowded place to eat, this is not it. The pork entrée and the carrot cake dessert were amazing. Can't wait to come back again!

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Was in the Pocono area, looking for a nice place for a birthday dinner. Researched the area and this seemed to be one of the best in the area. Upon arriving, we had to find a spot to squeeze the car, as the lot is pretty small and was full. Went inside and thought it seemed nice, but not as upscale of an interior as I would expect for "fine dining". We were seated at a small table in the room that is open to/facing the bar area. From here I will break it down into sections.

SERVICE: very slow, although i think this was the fault of the kitchen and bar, our server was nice enough. We waited for several minutes after being seated to be greeted and have our drink order taken. We then waited for another 10-15 minutes for our drinks. I think our server has some system that he liked to follow, because he did not come back to take our order until after the drinks arrived at the table. I guess that would be ok normally, except now we have been here for 20 mins or so and are feeling ignored and hungry. Although to his credit, he did comp our drinks at the end of the night for 2 reasons, 1 that they took so long to come out and 2 since this was a birthday meal I guess they would have comped desert, but we passed. The only other thing that stood out was, our server was talking to a busser/food runner about our table (who was supposed to get what) and he actually pointed at us. I have never had a server point at me.

AMBIANCE: as stated above decor was nice, but not upscale. It looks way nicer on the website. My biggest bone to pick is with the so called "entertainment". There was a young woman singing in the bar and she was awful. There was no band, no piano, she was sitting on a stool, with another stool next to her with a laptop, so she was basically singing some awful karaoke. As we were facing the bar, we were facing her and her speakers. She finally took a break right as we were leaving.

FOOD: this was the biggest disappointment. I can overlook things if the food is great and this was just ok at more than ok prices. We ordered 2 apps, the fried tomato salad and a tempura shrimp. The salad was tasty but strange, as it was fried red tomatoes, I was expecting green. The shrimp were good as well but it seemed something was missing from the dish. It was just a couple shrimp and a piece of lettuce. Not really fine dining.... Before we were finished with our apps, the entrees arrived. there was no pacing to this night whatsoever, which should be a hallmark of a fine dinning establishment. For our entrees, I got a Kobe beef special and my wife ordered their house special rack of lamb with house made lamb sausage from a nearby farm. My steak was cooked properly and was good although I didn't think it was as good as I have had at nicer steakhouses. My wife's dinner seemed off, just like my app had. Her plate came out with 4 tiny lollipops, not a rack, and had the sausage broken up in a tomato broth with a ton of diced green peppers all over the dish. There was no side starch or vegetable. It seemed like something was missing. The lamb and sausage were good but the bell pepper overtook the dish.

All in all it was a good meal, but it did not meet our expectations. This is the first time I have been let down by trip advisor.

1  Thank DrKnate