“OK for lunch, easy access from I-80”

Mom's Dutch Kitchen
Ranked #29 of 42 Restaurants in Danville
Connecticut
“OK for lunch, easy access from I-80”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

It was a little before noon on a Wednesday. We had driven a few miles on I-80 after skipping what passes for breakfast at the Best Western where we stayed the night before, and the munchies were beginning to set in. I spotted a sign for Mom's Dutch Kitchen as we approached the Danville exit. Mom's place was located on the opposite side of a divided highway, so we first explored a bit further into downtown Danville. After finding only Mcdonalds, Wendy's and a couple of mom and pop grinder shops there, we circled back to Mom's.

Mom isn't much for decor. The furnishings make the place look like your grandparents' dining room back in the 1960s. But it seemed clean and comfortable enough.

We were greeted by an older server who was totaling her tips from the breakfast rush as we walked in the door. She made sure her accounting tasks were complete before escorting us to a table. My wife asked about the soup of the day -- our server said she would have to check with the cook and headed to the kitchen. She returned a few minutes later and informed us, "It's potato bacon. I tried it. I wouldn't recommend it." I appreciated the honesty.

I ordered Mom's version of the open hot turkey sandwich, which in this restaurant is a closed hot turkey sandwich. That means they put an extra slice of white bread on top before smothering it in gravy. Not bad and reasonably priced, but I wish they had put a little more meat between the slices. I don't think my mom ever served battered fries with the hot turkey sandwiches she made for me when I was younger, but this one did.

If you're hungry, this place will keep you full for a few hours at a reasonable price. We spent $22 including tip for lunch for two. Just remember... it isn't your mom in the kitchen.

• Visited August 2013

Johnson City, Tennessee
“Split personality - breakfast outstanding, evening meal forgettable”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The morning crew was friendly, welcoming and provided good food and service. While in Danville, we had three great breakfasts. However, the evening meals were salty, over breaded, or under-cooked. A New York strip to be medium rare and slightly pink came with an icing of a multitude of herbs but had not seen the inside of an oven for more than seconds - it was cold (after waiting for 40 minutes) and red, not pink inside. Also, in spite of asking the waitress and the apparent owner for a a glass of water, no came during the wait for the entrée. At that point, we had our fill of no service and cold steak with no water and as we were taking our leave, the dingy waitress asked if we wanted the steak to go. We should have told her where to put the steak - in the garbage, of course. The owners are from India and seemed to have poor comprehension of US English, but that does not explain the raw steak or the unwillingness to bring water or coffee when repeatedly requested.
We will not be back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank bsallen
Sunbury
“Horrible”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

If you r in this area go some where else! Took forever to get food. When it did come it was cold. Gave me pancakes w no butter or syrup and had to keep asking. Out of 4 orders everyone was wrong. Hostess had no clue how to usecase register. Would never go back!!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank jayne922-
Spring Grove, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We went to this restaurant to support the local mom and pop businesses and because it was close to the hotel. When we walked in the girl working behind the counter was not friendly at all, then she sat us and once she took our order and I had also ordered a side salad with my entrée, my salad never came but the table that came in after us and our waitress also waited on them, well, they got their salad. I had to say something to our waitress about my salad and I never did get my green beans. And when asked what the vegetable of the day was they said "don't have one". I did not like the gravy on my mashed potatoes, yuck! The place was dirty, outdated, bathroom needed updated. We will never visit there again. When I first walked in this place and saw it I thought "Restaurant Impossible" needs to come here and fix this place up.

• Visited July 2013
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Do not waist your time”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Recomended by hotel staff. Our food took a very long time comming out ever though they wery not busy. The screwed up the orders, one person ordered a sandwhich with tomato and no lettuce. ( there was 4 of us) she got it with lettuce and no tomato,.one ordered a stawberry sunday with stawberry ice cream, nuts strawberry toping. She got vanilla ice cream with strawberry topping. We ordered 3 sandwhiches and one ice cream sunday. It took over and hour for the food to come out . I would not recomend this restraunt.

• Visited May 2013