“Very slow service”

Ranked #29 of 41 Restaurants in Danville
Halifax, Canada
“Very slow service”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is definitely NOT the place to visit if you are in a hurry. We thought it would be fun to try something different, rather than a chain restaurant. The place is very homey but had a musty smell. The service was painfully slow but we enjoyed our lunch of a grilled cheese and ham sandwich along with hot, tasty french fries.

• Visited June 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“They say you can't ruin breakfast but they are wrong”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Holy cow was this bad. Slow service, flies, lukewarm, runny eggs, and don't get me started about the scrapple. This material ( I can't call it food) looked like floor sweepings baked into a loaf, fried, sliced and served. It tasted like tofu flavored with dead mice. OK, what I imagine dead mice must taste like. May I add that we didn't want to eat again for the rest of the day? Hey, we discovered the Mom's Dutch Kitchen diet!!! Stay away, go hungry - it will be better than eating at Mom's kitchen.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank MetroWest52
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great!!!!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

we had the country mess for breakfast and lunch! nice size helping and the apple fritters were out of this world!!! OMG!!!!! it is the Bomb!!! Soooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank REDWOOFINN
YONKERS
“Convenient and tasty”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We ate here for lunch. There was a good variety . It was reasonably priced with fast, friendly service . It's a nice local stop.

Visited August 2013
Connecticut
“OK for lunch, easy access from I-80”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

It was a little before noon on a Wednesday. We had driven a few miles on I-80 after skipping what passes for breakfast at the Best Western where we stayed the night before, and the munchies were beginning to set in. I spotted a sign for Mom's Dutch Kitchen as we approached the Danville exit. Mom's place was located on the opposite side of a divided highway, so we first explored a bit further into downtown Danville. After finding only Mcdonalds, Wendy's and a couple of mom and pop grinder shops there, we circled back to Mom's.

Mom isn't much for decor. The furnishings make the place look like your grandparents' dining room back in the 1960s. But it seemed clean and comfortable enough.

We were greeted by an older server who was totaling her tips from the breakfast rush as we walked in the door. She made sure her accounting tasks were complete before escorting us to a table. My wife asked about the soup of the day -- our server said she would have to check with the cook and headed to the kitchen. She returned a few minutes later and informed us, "It's potato bacon. I tried it. I wouldn't recommend it." I appreciated the honesty.

I ordered Mom's version of the open hot turkey sandwich, which in this restaurant is a closed hot turkey sandwich. That means they put an extra slice of white bread on top before smothering it in gravy. Not bad and reasonably priced, but I wish they had put a little more meat between the slices. I don't think my mom ever served battered fries with the hot turkey sandwiches she made for me when I was younger, but this one did.

If you're hungry, this place will keep you full for a few hours at a reasonable price. We spent $22 including tip for lunch for two. Just remember... it isn't your mom in the kitchen.

• Visited August 2013