“very shady, dirty and they lied about crediting account Beware!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pocono Inn At Water Gap

Pocono Inn At Water Gap
Union City, New Jersey
“very shady, dirty and they lied about crediting account Beware!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

Had to stay here for a local funeral, tried to be budget minded (huge mistake).
Area is very dark, shady, and seems to be deserted great place to film a horror flick. We went to room, hallways smelled dingy and moldy, had to use stairs to get to room. Rooms were worst we have ever seen. Floors were dirty, and stained. Fire detector was hanging with loose wires (was itself a hazard). We were almost going to brave it until we saw the beds. Sheets had crumbs and urine stains (I am not lying). We quickly packed up and told the person there we were not staying, he said he was giving refund, even printed a paper that had zero balance. And we left to go to the Quality inn 3 mile up road. (very nice stayed for exact same price 59$). This was a week ago, credit card not credited, we are in contact with company. (also seems manager has something to say about every bad reveiw, trust me they lie and I am sure the other people are not) All I can say is I learned my lesson and you have been warned. I plan on finding other sites for reviews to warn others, no one deserves to stay in such filth. Trust me I have stayed at many (cheap) places that at least know how to clean. Only positive is we did not bring any bugs home. The good reviews are probably from owners.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank Mrthomas1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
new york city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

It is not a hotel who charges ~$180. they are honest about their price and their service. It is clean, quiet, and safe, that is what I paid for and what i expect. Will come back again and again.

Room Tip: bus line to New York City cross the street.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Place is not clean bugs are all over the place. I've stayed a many hotels in the pocono area and this why by far the dirtiest. Our sheets were dirty luckily we brought our own blanket we could sleep on. Housekeeping never came once we actually had to walk to the front desk to get our own towels and toilet paper. We had friends staying in this place as well that had the same problem so we knew it wasn't just us. The doors aren't safe and don't lock as my boyfriend had left my room and I was taking a shower I had the door locked and chained my boyfriend was actually able to stick his arm in and open the chain. Which is pretty scary also twice my friends staying in the same hotel were looking for us and housekeeping let them into our room no questions asked which is also pretty scary. The management comments on this being a safe area. But on Saturday they actually had some type of party at the bar the parking lot was packed I don't know how safe that really could be if any one can get access into your room. Don't leave anything of value in your room. The ice machines are still broken which I see was still an issue in some previous reviews. The shower has no mat so it is very slippery. The place is located in a very convieneint area which is great but I'd rather pay an extra 20 bucks to stay at another hotel that is clean and safe. I will never stay here again. I would not recommend this place to anyone. They brag about having a cheap rate but the only thing they provided me with was a spider filled room and a mattress I provided my own blanket to sleep on as it didn't look like they cleaned their sheets and blankets for each guest. Never again stay far away !! I think only two people run the entire place. GOOD LUCK!

• Stayed September 2011
7 Thank Memzone1
poconoinn, Manager at Pocono Inn At Water Gap, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
You stayed in hotel and don't want to pay. You made a lie to your travel agent that your car was broken in the parking lot to get refund. It was rejected. And we are following up your lies. Therefore, you get angry, and post all these lies on web. You did several posts here.

Unlike some other hotels, Pocono Inn at Water Gap chooses NOT to refund you because we are confident that we are the best hotel in the region. We are not afraid of you. Because we reject customers like you, we are able to give best rate to honest customers, and in this way, we build customers community that consists of honest people.

Therefore, you are not welcome. Please go to the hotels that have to refund you.

Travellers are raving about these Delaware Water Gap hotels

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

undoubtedly the worst hotel we have ever stayed at.

Avoid.

Scary place.

7 Thank Deams
West Caldwell, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

From the outside it looks kinda dirty and while the rooms were kinda old they were clean and I feel it was a good value.

1 Thank loriso55
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

The parking lot is so dark it looks like no one is in it. Out dated. Tub drips.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Diane L
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

I checked in at this motel on July 21 2011 at about 230pm. I checked out of this motel the same day about 7 hours later. The hallways are not air conditioned. The air conditioner in the room only worked on low. It was 98 degrees outside. The bathroom was dirty. The carpet in the hallways and my room were dirty. Neither one of the ice machines worked. When I checked in the woman at the front desk told me that the ice machines had been broken for one week. This was supposed to be a non-smoking motel. The linens on the bed smelled of smoke and there were stains on the sheets. The sliding door to the balcony was so dirty you could not seen through it. Even though I did not sleep one night at this motel, the manager still charged me the full price of a one night stay.

Room Tip: do not stay at this motel.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank lcgd
poconoinn, Manager at Pocono Inn At Water Gap, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear lcgd: As you said, you stayed hotel for 7 hours. You requested refund and didn’t get it. You are not happy.

Although, I am sorry to hear, that your experience was not enjoyable, please allow me to explain my perspective, so you can understand my position.
I cannot honor your request to refund you, because that wouldn’t be fair to current and future customers. As, you know one of the positive qualities of our hotel is the inexpensive price we offer to every guest. If you were to compare the prices across the Delaware water gap with same quality, you would see the price to be one of the lowest. However, we are a business and we need to make money in order to operate. If we were to refund you, there are two options, lose money or compensate by increasing the price to other customers. Do you think it is fair to do so? Since you have stayed 7 hours, you have used up resources already, to give a FULL refund for those 7 hours of electricity use, towels, cleaning etc, is in my opinion unreasonable.

The other option as stated would be to increase the cost for other customers. Many hotels do give refunds to stop whoever’s complaints. To make up for it they increase the cost to other customers. Since we try to value the customer we have been able to prevent from doing so. As such we have been able to build a strong base of loyal and positive customers. If we gave you a refund to keep you from complain as some other hotels do, then we would end up losing all loyal and positive customers and attracting customers who intend to get FREE hotel. The cumulative effect would not only be a huge money loss, but also force us to raise the price for other customers. I apologize if you feel you are being made an example of, but we must be firm, and set principle here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Delaware Water Gap
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Days Inn East Stroudsburg
Days Inn East Stroudsburg
#6 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Pocono Inn At Water Gap? Share your experiences!