“One of the worst restaurants I've ever eaten at.”
Review of Lamplighter Cafe

Lamplighter Cafe
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Delmont
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how this place got 4 stars.
First, I'll start with the place. We were there on a Thu night, and the place is divided in 2. A 'Nice, Upscale' area (in quotes, because the decor looked like it hasn't changed in 40 years), and a 'cafe' area that looked like a Waffle House. The 'upscale' area was closed so we had no choice than to go with the cafe area. Closed on a Thu night? That already made no sense and should have been our first warning.

Came there with family. We had 10 people which seemed to confuse them greatly, even though there was only a couple of other tables occupied. Definitely not busy, which should have been second warning. The place looked about as clean as you would expect it to be from the looks of it. In other words, a good cleaning would not hurt.

Based on the waitress's recommendation and previous review, I ordered their 'Famous Devonshire' with their the special cheeses sauce and French Onion bowl. Someone else ordered a French onion cup.
The cup didn't have any cheese, but the bowl did. Seriously? Why call it French Onion cup if it has no cheese. It's just Onion soup.
This was, by far, one of the worst dish I have ever had. The special cheese sauce is melted American sliced cheese mixed so not to be able to tell it was sliced cheese (at least, that's my educated guess, as it's exactly what it tasted like), the bread was so hard I had a hard time cutting it with a knife, and the meet was bone dry, even under all of this 'special sauce'.
Others ordered a cheeseburger, which was the size of a Mc Donald's kids size cheeseburger, meat looked like it had been in the freezer for way too long before getting to the plate, while a regular grilled cheese was huge, but also tasted suspect at best.
The Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwich was the best of the bunch, but when I say best, it doesn't mean it was great. Just passable.
All of this after we waited for an hour to even get our food!

The only positive was the waitress who was very nice and removed the sandwich from my bill without me asking, and was very helpful and polite.

Went to Kings Family restaurant the next day for much better food only half a mile away. Just a suggestion.

1  Thank KhenaK

Reviewed 19 June 2014

To avoid any confusion, the name of this place is actually The Lamplighter Coffee Shop. It is attached to a semi-fine dining restaurant at the same location. Take it from a fat guy who "lives to eat" instead of "eats to live" that this place is the comfort food capital of the world! It has all of the classic diner foods that we all crave from time to time, but at prices that you won't believe.

Among their classics is a Turkey Devonshire comprised of fresh baked bread topped with sliced turkey, ham and bacon and then the entire plate is covered with a delicious homemade cheese sauce which is out of this world. Served with fresh cut fries or your choice of another side, this classic rings in at $6.99. A Grilled Reuben with fries will set you back only $5.99 and a 1/2 pound Steak Sandwich or a selection of Grilled Paninis with a side will only set you back $6.99.

The restaurant also serves dinners as well as serving classic diner breakfasts all day. While people rave about how inexpensive the steaks are at Turillo's Steakhouse where the cheapest steak is a NY Strip Steak for $14.75, The Lamplighter Coffee Shop has an 8 ounce NY Strip Steak or Delmonico with two sides for $9.99 or A FILET MIGNON FOR $12.99!!! Everything I have ever had there has been excellent and the coffee shop is open from 7-10:30 M-TH, 7-11:30 F & S and 7A-8P on Sunday. The décor is also "classic diner" with old-fashioned booths and a sit-down counter. If you're craving good, old fashioned comfort food, this is the place for you.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Had occasion to have lunch here. Service was great. Food was also great. Had the Italian salad and my wife had the Tuscan. Both salads were generous and lettuce was crisp. The dressing on the Tuscan was good. My dressing was the blue cheese. The dressing was house made and I was told it was great. It was interesting but did taste like it was made with miracle whip. Not quite what I was expecting. The salads came with a loaf of delicious home made bread. Others in our party had the Ruben which was quite generous. The other party had breakfast which was eggs and sausage. The sausage party was huge and delicious. The eggs were done just right. We'll stop back! They get busy, make a reservation.

1  Thank sprucecreekfly
Reviewed 4 March 2014

have been going here for so many years for special occasions, food is always great and the service is very personable. highly recommended.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

First off, hard to get service at the bar. Went in for mystery dinner, they dont take credit cards for alcohol even tho they do for your reservation. The show was funny, we liked it. The food was subpar at best the beef was tough and disappointing. Go to the show but eat somewhere else

1  Thank Dudusdad