“Eat outside if you can”

Zia Maria Italian Eatery
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Denver
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My sister, niece and I ate dinner here on a Saturday night -- one of the first warm evenings of the season. It was busy, but we were seated right away. Unfortunately, it seems that the staff was stretched very thin. We could see our server working tables on the other side of the bar. It took forever for our food to come, and the three girls at the table behind us sat much longer before their order was even taken.

The menu gave the impression that the pizzas were personal size. They were much larger than expected, so there was some to take home. We ordered a flatbread, too, so it was a little overkill, although the flatbread was good. I had chicken Parmigiana, which was OK. I ate the chicken with sauce and cheese out of the roll, which was too much bread for me.

They have a DJ starting at 9 PM on Saturday nights. As we were leaving we saw several people with Zia Maria T-shirts standing around talking, most likely anticipating people coming in for the music. It would have been nice to have some extra people helping out our very friendly, but strapped, server.

2  Thank AnnaSoo

Reviewed 7 May 2014

After antique shopping, my friend and I stopped in on a Sunday afternoon for lunch. Zia Maria is one of few restaurants nearby open on Sunday. We both opted for grilled chicken and salad. The portion was huge. The plate was loaded with tomatoes, orange wedges, green apple, walnuts, fresh lettuce and served with a strawberry viniagrette. Grilled chicken was well seasoned and grilled perfectly. A delicious entree. The garlic bread we ordered as well was quite tasty with just enough garlic. Would definitely return here.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Zia's is a local joint with fairly good food. The pizza is tasty, although the sauce tends to be a little sour. The sandwiches are good and their rolls are crusty but still soft. The problem here is that they charge $10.50 for a martini! It's Denver, not Philly for goodness sake!! If you are beer drinker, you are in luck, as their beer prices are on par with the local market. It is the liquor you need to stay away from. You can easily go 3 miles down the road to Stoudt's and enjoy a martini for at least $2.50 less. I'm not sure what the thinking is behind the prices at the bar at Zia's but it is Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. Take a look at the regular clientele- they are not the kind of people who will pony up $10.50 for one drink!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stopped at Zia's for lunch about 2:00 Pm while traveling on the turnpike. My first thought was "another mediocre restaurant in a strip mall". The special soup of the day was crab asparagus but they also had lobster bisque. When I couldn't decide, the waitress brought me small samples of both. The bisque was wonderful with an addtional flavoring I could never quite determine. But I chose the crab asparagus due to the uniqueness and it was delicious.. Plus an order of steamed clams in a wine broth with toasted, buttered Italian bread slices for sopping up juices. Though the ambience is more bar than fine Italian dining,about the only thing that could have improved the meal was dining alfresco in Italy. And since it was a cold, rainy 50 degrees, we just ate and enjoyed,.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Superb atmosphere in this really lively busy, bar good music and a variety of screens showing sports of course. The food was great and real good value for money. Give it a try you will not be dissapointed but only if you want a lively evening of course