“No frills & no thrills”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Denver
Columbus, Ohio
“No frills & no thrills”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed on 7-31-12: My family needed a place to stay to attend a play in PA. Looked for a hotel in the Choice line because of our membership. We needed 3 rooms to accomodate us so I was trying to be frugal, willing to go bare bones. I have a habit of looking at the reviews on travelocity since the choice site doesn't have this feature. The only review (from a year ago or so) gave a fair rating, so I took courage and booked it. I wished I knew about this site then. Upon arriving, (and you really have to look hard to locate the place) about 2AM, there was no one in the lobby. We rang and waited for about 15 minutes or so, and finally thought to look up the # on our reservation print out and call. Finally reaching a human being, she came out to check us in. The place was rather shabby looking on the outside and the same on the inside. The carpet really needs replacing and the odor needs to be addressed. Along with the outside access door which didn't lock, this place lacks that clean secure feel. The only thing it had going for it was the size of the rooms. Having a large family, the spaciousness was nice, just needs a makeover. My daughters did complain of ants in their room. The continental breakfast must have come from Australia, the smallest continent. Good thing we stayed only a few hours. Also, upon leaving, the clerk wanted to charge me an extra $10 because he said we had too many people in a room. He relented when I told him one was only 13 years, not an adult. I really didn't want to pay a dime more for these accomodations Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2012

So we pull in. The first thing we see is a soiled mattress and box spring laying in the uncut grass in front of the motel--not a good sign, not at all, but we were in town for a funeral on the same weekend as a major Jehovah's Witness conference (you can't make this stuff up), and this place was quite literally the last place with vacancies for miles. We get out of the car to check in and notice that people are climbing out the window of the room to the far left of the entrance--hard to tell if they're up to no good or just taking a short cut. My wife looks at me: it's a cheap set of beds for our family at a difficult time--all we need is someplace to sleep for 8 hours.

We check in and enter through the side door--it's got a rock holding it open so we don't even have to use our key! Hooray! Of course, this means nobody needs to use their key. Or even needs a key at all. Yikes. A group of of surly looking, but ultimately friendly Troy Polamalu-looking kids is leaving as we enter--the older ones, and the guy covered head to toe in tattoos, are smoking. Smells great inside! Seems like the kids live here--maybe it's their rock in the door. It's certainly their pitbull that corners me in the hallway a half hour later when I head down the hallway for a bucket of ice. (Again, you can't make this stuff up).

The room itself was large and, while not exactly cleanly, was clean enough. No sign of vermin. The TV and microwave worked, which was nice. Plaster on the ceiling was cracked and broken, but no big deal. Smelled funny, though--like a lot of extra air freshener used to cover the residual cigarette smoke in the hallway. Linens were clean, pillows were fluffy. The air conditioner was thunderously loud, but cold,

Breakfast. This place was cheap, but it offered a continental breakfast. Apparently what continental breakfast means is: warm milk in a pitcher on the counter, empty coffee pot, two plastic containers of slightly stale cereal (I only tried the frosted flakes), three tasteless pre-packaged "cinnamon buns"--think Little Debbie but not so tasty and artfully prepared--and six pieces of dry bread for toast (3 white, 3 wheat!). I should have taken a picture. No juice, fruit, butter, jelly...just what I listed. I buzzed the little buzzer on the front desk that was supposed to ring for service, but no one ever came. Tried it again to check out...but no one came--there's a little plastic box on the desk that says "leave keys here." I did.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here. I have a photo of the mattress laying in the yard that I'll try to post late...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JunkChuck
Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2012

The best thing we could all say about our stay here is "I've stayed in worse!"

Upon arrival, the first thing you notice is how outdated the exterior is... not well maintained, to say the least. When we checked in, the side entry door, which has a key access, was propped open with a rock (so anyone could theoretically enter). Walking into the hallway, you are hit with the overwhelming stench of cigarettes. The hotel is pet friendly, so keep that in mind- the other half of our traveling party shared a wall with a very noisy yippy little dog that could be heard down the hallway. Also, although they welcome pets, they don't seem to welcome assisting in keeping the property clean- during our overnight stay, some dog pooped all over the sidewalk, which was then tracked in (by the negligent owner?) to the main hallway... where it stayed. Despite several calls to the lobby to ask that it be cleaned up, we had to sidestep the poop and deal with the stench every time we entered or exited the building. There were still traces of poop in the interior hallway the next morning when we checked out... Yuck.
Fortunately, the cigarette stench did not carry into our non-smoking room. The rooms overall were large, the beds cheap but decent enough for the road-weary, unless you have a bad back. The bathrooms were terribly outdated and in need of maintenance- our mirror was broken in one corner, but this didnt seem to warrant replacement? The shower was pretty grungy, so we opted to go without for our overnight stay. The basic room had a micro-fridge which was clean and seemed to work well (did not use the microwave part). The kitchenette in the king room was a decent size, but the burners had foil under them instead of real drip pans, and it generally looked old and run down. The refrigerator worked fine for what was stored in there over the weekend. Also, the headboard fell off the bed when our children leaned up against it while watching TV. The breakfast staff was friendly, but the food was nothing to write home about, and we were glad there was a sheetz down the road with coffee ad breakfast offerings to supplement our "free" breakfast.

Overall, I would certainly NOT recommend this hotel on any of its merits- we had friends traveling for the same event who stayed in another hotel a bit further away, and paid less per night for a much better overall experience. There are plenty of other "economy" hotels you can find in the area, I wouldn't stay here unless you absolutely have to have a place to crash and you don't really care about amenities or service or cleanliness (at least our bed sheets seemed clean... the pillows were badly stained, however).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 July 2012

When my husband and I checked in we were told there was a side entrance we could use that would be closer to our room. Arms full of luggage, neither of us could get our room key to work. We hauled everything through the hot, tiny lobby. Nobody was at the desk to tell about the door. We never saw anyone at the desk the whole time we were there. Hall stunk of cigarette smoke. Room had stale smell. Fridge froze all our food, knob broken off so temperature could not be adjusted. Burners of stove lined with foil and filthy. Empty beer can under sink. Oh yeah, back to the door, it was propped open with a rock the next morning when we went out, high security! Trash can next to the door heaping full, stinking. I know it was 90 degrees all week, but why not empty the can daily! Piles of dog poop on the ground by the door also. Termites or carpenter ants chewing inside the wall at night!! Outdoor furniture falling apart. Ice machine empty. Breakfast just ok, coffee terrible, good thing there is a dunkin donuts next door. Only good thing about the room is the large size and surprise, new carpet.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2012

The room was stale smelling (non smoking) and the carpet left a sticky feeling to bare feet. We booked a suite for 5 adults and the bathroom had 2 towels and 1 small bar of hand soap. Requested extra towels and was given 2 more and told that was all they had. Bed sheets had visible stains and even found empty beer cans under the bed! Breakfast food supply was depleted and the coffee was the worst I ever tasted. Stay away from this foreign run hotel.

• Stayed July 2012
Huntingtown, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Never stay at the the Econo Lodge in Denver PA. Reasons: 1. Apparently the hall ways to the non-smoking rooms are NOT non-smoking. They reek of cigarette smoke. The rooms don't smell that good either. 2. Dog poop in the side entrance hallway. 3. Maid came into the room without knocking first. And the towels she brought were not all the way dry. 4. The cops were called on Fri nite because one of the people in the room next door was being so disorderly the other people in the room with him had locked him out. He kept knocking on their door and was being very loud and obnoxious. 5. Well do you need any more reasons? Oh and the Red Roof Inn is attached to the Econo Lodge so I would not suggest that one either.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Union City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 September 2011

As I arrived there was bags of garbage at the front entrance. That night when my wife and I decided we would like a cup of coffee, there was none on the premises. I was told I could get some at breakfast. The room had a full size gefrigerator, microwave, and sink, butno coffee pot. We ran out of toilet paper the first night, luckily I could get some at the front desk. My wife did not have her key the next afternoon and they gave her one and asked for no ID. Can anyone get a key. Several otherminor irratations. I filled out the opinion card and listrd all od this and also told the gentleman checking us out. I have not yet received a response from anyone. DO NJOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denver
Red Roof Inn Denver
Penn Amish Motel
Penn Amish Motel
#2 of 6 in Denver
Black Horse Lodge and Suites

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Denver? Share your experiences!