“Wishing I could give it an excellent.....”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dickson City
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The staff is wonderful. The hotel very clean (and I am picky) The towels are soft and price is right. The problem. The elevator was down for our entire stay. (2 days) Now, I understand things happen and I would not even be mentioning it if not for the fact that I overheard the man working the front desk talking to some guests and saying the management had been putting off a proper repair for over a year. We had quite a few bags and had to drag them up and down stairs. We were offered help, but at check in, there was a woman to help (my hsband would rather DIE than have a lady carry his bags for him) and at check-out the gentleman who offered was running ragged already.

My second issue was more a matter of personal comfort. I found that for such a hot and sticky weekend, the room air-conditioning was not adequate. Supposedly, you can set it down to 65 but it was not feeling 65 in our room at night! I like it cold in my room at night so this was also a disappointment after spending a long, hot day outdoors.

All in all, it was an OK expereince. Would I stay here again? Not sure. On one hand it was very clean and I am very big on that and the staff was super friendly. In the winter, I would stay for sure! In summer, i might look elsewhere as I like it colder in my room. As for the elevator being down, well stuff happens.

Room Tip: Rooms are VERY small. Families with kids who want enough room to spread out should get two.
1  Thank LadySith
Timtd58, Owner at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Elevator was down for two days while a part was being delivered. Please accept my apology for this inconvenience. We checked air conditioning in room and found it to be working fine. Elevator is working fine

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was really a terrific place to settle into for a few days while we participated in family wedding get-togethers. Nicely located just below the mall on Main Avenue, it was easy access to everything we had to do while in town. Clean!! And the staff was so much fun -- nothing staid about them. They actually talk to you as if you're not just a customer. Breakfast was okay...not my taste, waffles you can make yourself, muffins, fruit, cereals, and hard boiled eggs. But decent enough for those who like this sort of thing....there certainly was enough of it. Coffee available all day...critical to a caffeine junkie like me. Biggest issue: the size of the room I made my reservation on Expedia and wasn't aware suites were available. I'll never stay in the plain room again. It is just too small for my husband and me and there are no king size beds available at all (not a good thing for us; we're kind of larger in size). But, just walking around the room -- no, next time I'm opting for the suite. The suite is huge in comparison! Worst issue: we NEVER got our internet to work in the room. Thank goodness we weren't trying to get any actual work done.

Room Tip: Opt for a suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I can't say enough GREAT things about this hotel! It was our first stay (5 days) and not a single problem. Both check-in and out were a breeze. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. Both the hotel and our room was clean and in great shape. The breakfast had a great assortment. Coffee, juices, fruit, waffles, pastries, yogurt,cereals, bagles-something for everyone. They also covered all the bases, cream cheese, jelly, peanut butter, honey. The hard boiled eggs were an unexpected delight. I am big on protein and eat the egg whites all the time! Apparently I'm not the only one as they disappeared every morning at breakfast.No problem with anyone exploding them during our 5 day stay. I'm sorry but do have to point out there is a large sign taped to the front of microwave door that clearly says to please chop up egg first and only heat for 10 seconds. Unless your blind, you can't miss it! Also, the breakfast area was kept super clean and was constantly being checked on and items refilled so the guests wouldn't run out of everything. We also got a Free newspaper on the weekdays which was prefect to read at breakfast! We did speak with several employees who were wonderful, along with Mr. Dietrich. He was a delight and also worked harder than anyone to keep the breakfast area in tip top shape. We were also impressed with the cost of this hotel, especially with all that is included for your stay. Check out what other hotels in the area charge and you'll see what I'm mean. A great value for a great stay!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Week-end stay was great as the desk staff knew all about the area and were efficient and professional. Entire hotel was exceptionally clean and not just our room. Easy on/off of interstate highway 81. Close to sights in and around Scranton, PA. Breakfast was more than adequate, the coffee was outstanding. Food was constantly being replenished with fresh foods. Being an impatient person the elevator drove me nuts as it was sooo slow. I ended taking the steps which was OK as I can always use the exercise. I have recommended this facility to several friends that are visiting that area. Can not beat it for the price. Entrance to the hotel was out of the ordinary as it was from a "side" street.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

When we got there the hotel/motel appear very clean our room was ok until I saw lipstick all over the comforters after going down stairs 2x for linen because they don't delivery to the room it was annoying. The first morning for breakfast they served frozen cold boiled eggs that needed to be heated up by microwave the egg exploded in the microwave I offered to clean it up by the manager Timothy Dietrich he approach me rudely and told can u read it said chop up the egg first for 10 sec he didn't let me say anything and tells me to go sit down and eat. He thought he could talk to me like that because I'm African American but two other families egg exploded in the microwave after and he didn't say a word.I'm a 30 year women married with children and supervising RN at Brooklyn hospital in NY. Who the hell he think he was talking to so I kindly told him DONOT speak to me like that I'm not a child and I called cooperate office right there and reported him. I notice he greeted everyone and they kids and never said two words to my family. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Niecey84
Timtd58, Owner at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Guest did not read directions for heating hard boiled eggs in microwave. The guest had eggs explode in microwave I came over to assist, the guest sat and started laughing about incident.
with people at table. I did ask what was so funny and their was no response. Later that morning I had a guest approach me and give me her phone number in case I needed a witness to what really happened. The guest who gave me phone Number is a nyc police officer and knew there might be some need of explaining how they saw this incident. There were no other exploding egg incidents that morning.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dickson City
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
Home2 Suites by Hilton Dickson City Scranton

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton? Share your experiences!