“Do Not Camp Here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingmans Ferry
Dingmans Campground
Reviewed 16 June 2013

From the moment we arrived it was downhill....
14.99 for a wheel barrel of logs (10-15), the logs were huge and needed to be halved, the guys from the camp said we can not cut logs and an ax is not allowed on the premise...it is DRY campground...around 12:00 am rangers and troopers were on patrol and invaded and harrassed my friends and I...we received tickets and 2 summons for a bottle of wine (unopened) and beer...the next night, a worker from the camp came around and said he smelled marijuanna, we told him we smelled it also and he accused a black and mild cigar of being a "blunt" he called the cops and we were raided again, this time they did not find anything but a black and mild... after 2 hours of searching our tents, coolers, and cars, we were free to go...THANK YOU DINGMANS FOR THE WORST TIME EVER....

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 September 2012

I've reviewed this place before, and said we've camped here many times. There could be more showers but that is my only complaint. I don't want paved roads and super-scrubbed grounds. I want the woods.
The place has always been clean when we were there, but we don't usually go on holidays, the worst time to travel or stay anywhere.
The staff has always been very kind and accommodating.
We are quiet, just me and my partner and our dog. I've never once in 7 years ever seen a ranger or had anyone ask us to dump out our drinks. We hide it when we do drink, which isn't often. (I've always thought PA was WAY to uptight about liquor.)
However, we have never camped anywhere except by the riverfront sites. It's very quiet there.
And I have to say the whole place is also way too expensive. $40 a night is too much.
To the person who said that any positive review of this place came from inexperience..I've been primitive camping, privately owned areas and government site camping since I was 4 years old. I have a lot of experience in all situations. This place is really great for car camping.
The reviewer who complained about the two hikes..there are many many more you missed. Those two are the well-worn ones. Try the other 14 hikes less than 10 miles away.
To the person complaining about spiders and mud, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you should call your congress-person and see if they can't pass a law....
We are going again next weekend after we get back from a New Hampshire hike!

Room Tip: Call early to camp by the river. It's much quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NewYorkJohnny
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The drive on 209 N and S was painful. The traffic pattern was not well thought out, allowing only a few cars through the traffic lights at a time. Having only one lane was also slow and congested, but there aren't alternative routes to or from the campground. The 2 hr drive there (according to google maps) was closer to 3 hrs.

It would have been worth the drive if the hiking trails were great, but they weren't. Tumbling Waters wasn't great, Dingmans Waterfall was ok (don't waste your time going to the top).

The staff was rude. They saw us waiting at the desk yet one of them proceeded to turn her back to me so she can continue chit chatting with the others. I had to tap her on the shoulder after unsuccessful attempts to get her attention. The other staff member saw and heard me say, "Excuse me" twice but she could care less.

Bathrooms were dirty, 1 of the 3 toilets were out of order, there was a long line for the 1 shower stall. The portable toilets had soap and running water, but they needed to be emptied 2 days ago because waste was filled 3/4 of the way up.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 20 August 2012

They give you 4 small logs of quick burning pine for $8.00 and then make it a rule that you're not allowed to collect your own fire wood or bring any in.
The camp sites are crowded and spaced too close together.
Our campsite was next to a busy road.
12pm at night 5 SUV's full of police officers raided 3 camp sites near us.
It was unsettling and strange.
We bought an air mattress from the onsite store and realized that the cap to seal it was defective. When we tried to return it the store clerk told us that the air mattress company didn't have a "return policy" and so wouldn't return it.

Room Tip: Don't go here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kaleigh E
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Overall we had a good time, but there are some issues that need to be improved:
* only two men showers for the ENTIRE campground. They are not even in great shape...
* Toilets near the actual camp sites are the 'mobile' kind
* No grill nets on the fire rings
* store is expensive
* gates are locked at night

I do like the following:
* Good location in the Delaware water gap
* Good selection and flexible opening hours at the store

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mango1908
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We arrived at the campgrounds on a Saturday early afternoon; our plan was to start with a canoe or kayaking trip, but the last trip out (1 p.m.) was all booked up. My friend had called days earlier and no one recommended that she make a reservation so we were pretty disappointed.

The gates to the campground are locked at 10 p.m., so we had to rush back after a long afternoon of hiking and rock climbing and a very quick meal at Failte (an amazing Irish pub about 15 minutes away on 739). Quiet hours (10 p.m. - 6 a.m.) were not very quiet: someone began blowing up air mattresses after 11 p.m., cars with headlights on drove by many times during the night, etc., though I have been to much louder campgrounds.

Dingmans claims they have sites for 10, 20, or 30 people, but as a group of 4 in a large space we were only allowed to have 2 tents (we had 3 total that we wanted to set up).

There are only two bathhouses in the entire campground.

We checked out the riverfront area on the way back from our kayaking trip: it's decent, but rocky and very shallow, so not suitable for swimming.

Overall, this campsite is pretty average. It's not the worst, but it's certainly not the best. It is family and pet friendly, alcohol is prohibited, no one may leave or enter the grounds between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., and it does have some sites on the river. If you are looking for peace and quiet and a backwoods feel with campsite amenities, this is not the place for you. If you're okay with the rules, are traveling with a large group, or want a cheap place to sleep after some busy local activities, sure.

Recommendations? Book canoe and kayaking trips in advance, try to book the site you want in advance (away from the general store, etc.), or stay at another campsite. Rock climbers, be forewarned: Rick's Rock is a 40 - 55 minute drive away on dark, windy roads; make sure you are prepared with directions ahead of time!

Room Tip: Campsite 77 was large and not too close to neighboring sites (compared to many others). There was pl...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank nebali67
Reviewed 29 May 2012

At Dingman's, there are 133 campsites (each campsite can hold up to ten people). For these 133 campsites, there are 2 permanent bathrooms (3 stalls each, 1 shower each) for a total of 6 bathroom stalls and 2 showers. That's not just poor planning, that's insane. There are supposed to be additional "seasonal" bathrooms added but for Memorial Day weekend those weren't set up at all and it torrentially rained, leaving people with an already incredibly small bathroom options even smaller ones as the bathrooms were unusable due to mud, clogging from horrific overuse, and power loss problems. The campsites themselves are frequently all mud and separated by moldy, moss covered tree trunks that may delineate the sites but make it hard to park cars and unload. The campsite access roads are all mud and pot-hold ridden. I've camped for a couple years in the US and Canada and this is by far the worst campground I've ever seen. Avoid it.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank sandalrunner

Been to Dingmans Campground? Share your experiences!