“Excellent weekend!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingmans Ferry
Dingmans Campground
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Just came back from a great weekend there. I was nervous as this was the first time camping with my kids ages 7 & 9. I grew up camping and the last time I had been there was 15 years ago. We were in a large group and we got in trouble with the "laugh police." It was funny to see my father get reprimanded for laughing too loudly after 10 pm. This time around I was happy to see the staff and park rangers make their rounds to make sure everyone was safe. We hung out by the fire untill midnight without any problems. Bathrooms were satisfactory, when your camping, its always damp! I loved how we could walk to the river and the kids loved getting ice cream from the general store. My husband (not a born camper) had such a relaxing time, bought a tent when we got back...still drying out the borrowed tent! It looks like we will be going back soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank TinaB73

Reviewed 7 August 2010

I just spent four nights there over the past two weeks with my two teen-aged daughters. We loved it! We neither had nor saw any of the problems some campers noted in previous reviews. However, we weren’t loud late at night and we weren’t drinking alcohol. Except for our last night, when three loud families with young children camped next to us, our neighbors were consistently quiet and friendly. If campers around us were drinking, they weren’t drawing attention to themselves. One night our neighbors were a group of Native Americans who were passing through as they paddled along the river from New York State to Philadelphia. We had some nice chats with them and the next morning, their guide gave us tips for spotting wildlife on the river.

We stayed in site 126 on the river, which was a good location. It was small (as are all the river sites), but nicely shaded and we were steps from the river, a potable water tap, and porta potties. A clean bathhouse with flush toilets and showers was a few minute walk away, as was the store, which sells good coffee in the morning. Maybe it’s the drought, but we had few problems with bugs. Staff were friendly. Firewood was cheap and dry ($6 a half wheelbarrow, $12 for a full wheelbarrow.) We stayed there on week nights and the campground was uncrowded, facilities were clean, and we never waited to use the bathroom or shower. If you’re looking for a larger site, some are more spacious than others. The camp map on the website is drawn to scale so you could pick one with a little more room.

What to do in the area? We rented canoes from the camp store and paddled down from Milford back to our campsite. We are all beginners so it was a bit too long (four hours for us), but the scenery was beautiful and we spotted eagles, blue heron and egrets as we went. We saw a few fishing boats, but the river was deserted otherwise. We also used the campsite’s list of hikes to visit a local waterfall (one of the remote ones), where we were the only visitors and so could play in the waterfall. We spent an afternoon at CamelBeach (crowded, but fun) , which is 45 minutes away, and we saw some great original crafts at the store in Peters Valley Craft Center across Dingmans Bridge in NJ (ask at the camp store -- it's on the way to some of the waterfalls.) And we took a horseback trail ride from the Black Walnut Inn in Milford. The scenery was a little ho hum, but the horses were good and the staff was nice. The Inn’s woods were filled with wild Mountain Laurel, so a trip at a different time could have been beautiful.

We would definitely visit this campground again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank TravellingMom48
Reviewed 5 August 2010

My partner and I have been to Dingman's at least twice a year for the last 5. It's very quiet here, some of the sites along the river are small and some aren't. Just review the map on their website. In the woods sites are larger and quiet also....mostly adults at this campground, but in our experience even the groups with kids have been well behaved.
Great hikes all around, friendly staff.
Some tips:
1. Keep your dog quiet.
2. Just hide your alcohol, just stop screaming and go to sleep if you're drunk. This isn't a frat party.
3. Hike.
4. Act like an adult
5. Take the river trips..very nice.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NewYorkJohnny
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This is the worst campground I've ever been to.

No Privacy what so ever!!!!! Theres no trees or bushes between you and your neighbors. Horrible experience. Your right on top of each other. The fire wood they sell there, soaking wet and damp. Would not light until we dried it out and used half a bottle of lighter fluid which they sold to us. Also the sites are very tiny.. Portal bathrooms are disgusting! Overall environment is uncomfortable. God help you if you do 2mph over the limit there (5mph) they will literally chase after you and yell at you. Not people that are caring about your camping experience but more about running their business and taking your money and lots of it. 9:30PM watch out because the park troopers come sneaking into your campsite and will harass you and check your coolers even if its in your car. I had a nice fire going, 2 friends, quietly talking and relaxing, drinking a six pack of non alcoholic beer and they stillll made use dump it out.... DO NOT GO HERE. A good review is from a camper that doesn't know any better. Not they're fault they dont know anything about camping. DO NOT GO HERE, go elese where for cheaper and where you can have privacy and enjoy a light drink quietly without having a swat team sneak into your campsite.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank joesmith345232
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Nice place but it is in the national park which means even as a responsible adult and parent with kids. I could not enjoy a beer or glass of wine with my wife by the campfire when we put the kids to bed.

Truly roughing it here no Hook Ups for RVS. Bathrooms always seemed to be wet and not very clean.

Store and office staff were nice.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank NYGfan78
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We stayed at Dingmans campground for three nights at the end of 2008 summer. The summer weekends are very busy and sell out way ahead of time, since the water gap is really gorgeous and pretty close to both NYC and Boston.

We were in spot # 100, which was a nice spot near the bathrooms and not too far from the general store and the river. The spots are generally roomy and shady with enough trees to give you some privacy. The fire ring and the table were great to have, but no water or electricity and no alcohol allowed!

My one big complaint about Dingmans is the shower/bathroom. The floors were almost always wet and slippery, either from poor drainage of the one and only shower or maybe from leaks from under the FILTHY toilets. The shower’s warm water trickled with virtually no pressure and turned ice cold when someone opened the sink faucets. It was so bad that if I ever go there in the future, I will not shower! I know that this is camping and not a hotel but, I have seen much better campgrounds.

The general store was great and had all that you could need. The staff and the rangers were super cheerful, helpful, and lovely.
There are daily kayak and canoe trips from the campground. I believe the run is nearly 9 miles! For you once in a while kayakers, I want to reminder you that it takes a lot more energy and time that one would think to paddle down the river. We took our time in the beginning and had to paddle vigorously to get back by 5:30 PM. We were all hurting so bad the next day!!

Overall, Delaware Water Gap camping was a pretty nice experience, mostly because of the nice people we encountered, and the joy of fishing, hiking and seeing the waterfalls. Dingmans Camp ground however, was conveniently located and inexpensive, but nothing special to rave about.

1  Thank senobar_s

Been to Dingmans Campground? Share your experiences!